Army Sticky - then RAOC

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Ade1967, Jul 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grew up in BAOR during the 70's and 80's then joined myself....
    Been out a long time - but still feel "connected"
    Lived and worked a lot in South east asia and now "back" home in Germany....

Anybody with shared experience of being an Army Sticky in Minden in the 70's feel free to get in touch...

Cheers

2. Erm,what is an Army Sticky?

3. Army Sticky = Army Child = child of a soldier....sticky comes from the "fact" that a child's hands are generally sticky from eating sweets....:grin:
    a much used nickname in the 70's and 80's....

4. When I was a "sticky" in the 70s I was known as a padsbrat,as was every other kid that I knew at the time in Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh...nice one, never knew that, thanks for expanding my knowledge....was not aware of that one....:thumleft:

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Padbrats were ankle biters, rug rats or jam eaters when I served! Plain brats were apprentices!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. 'Stickies' was the nickname given to members of the Official IRA (as opposed to 'the provos'). Maybe they, too, got themselves into a bit of a mess when eating confectionery.

A NAAFI break was also referred to as a 'sticky break'... I hope that wasn't because somebody once noshed off a pads brat or a member of the Official IRA.......... or something.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Tea and stickies outside the CQMS on wednesday afternoons before hobbies!

• Like Like x 1
  9. In Detmold in the very early 80's the term 'Sticky' was sometimes used in reference to a teenage female padbrat with breeding potential. At least it was to the one I trapped-off with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just goes to show....semantics is a wonderful thing.....:winkrazz:

11. HHH

HHH LE

They got the name from attaching the Easter lilies to their jackets with sticky labels! ( Whereas the PIRA used pins)

• Like Like x 1
  12. went to Minden hospital when a brat in 77 or 78.... reason was I had acute stomache pains after drinking from a "spring" that gushed from the bottom of Hakedahl Hill, in some woods there just across the main road which was one of my haunts in Detmold. However, I subsequently learnt that the spring was in fact man made in some capacity, possibly treatment overflow from a sewer system.

I recall being asked to give a sample of urine in 1 of those wide funnel mouthed glass bottles with the flat side/bottom. I filled it to the brim with foaming almost orange wee and gingerly carried it , frothing, back to my bedside where I handed it to a nurse... no one told me they only wanted a bit. (a wee bit).

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was taught it was because they kept the original ceasefire in 72 ish! Funny though as the provos held up a sticky house in the beechmounts to snipe at us in 83 as a come on into an ASU ambush! Thankfully epic fail!

14. That sounds a little more probable. You'd have to be a quite obsessive kind of a Freemason to worry about the precise ritual and method to attach an Easter Lily to a lapel.

15. HHH

HHH LE

I know it's Wiki ( but there are other soucres out there if you want to look)

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=easter%20lily%20badge&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEaster_Lily_(badge)&ei=MIMMUOGFAoem0AX-8eHACg&usg=AFQjCNHESt_76oCLhp2X8wxW_rqwX72gXw