Army Sixth Form Scholarship - Leadership Tasks?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Parsonski, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm hoping to take the Army Sixth Form Scholarship to Sandhurst next year. I know pretty much what it consists of, and I know that only around 1 in 50 applicants get picked. My question is related to the leadership exercises they ask you to perform. What kind of tasks are they? I don't want to know exactly what they ask you to do, just what sort of things are required. Are they the standard 'get your team across the room without touching the floor', or are they different? I just want to know so I can get some preparation for them beforehand instead of going in blind.

Answers from anyone who has taken the Scholarship would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. I'm not in a position to comment specifically about the the Scholarship path, but having seen the Welbeck selection process over the past few months (from a parent's perspective) I believe my comments are relevant to both. The leadership tasks are as you have described. Things you should understand about them:

At the selection board you and are syndicate chums will do at least one, probably three, that will be "leaderless". I suppose this gives the board members an opportunity to see if you are a good team player/vacuous gobshite/shrinking violet *delete as necessary. These will also prepare you for the individual tasks.

You will be given a task where you are appointed leader. It won't be the same as one of the leaderless tasks.

There are sufficiently numerous tasks (they're all outdoors BTW) to ensure that no-one has an advantage by seeing the task twice.

Do not expect to complete the task in the allotted time. It's not about completing it, it's more about the manner in how you lead your syndicate chums through the task, adapting your plan on the hoof, utilising all resources etc. etc.

I would recommend you get yourself on one of the Potential Officer Insight Courses. Some ACA's will almost insist that you attend. These are the nearest thing to a dry-run of the board you'll get. They are run at various units throughout the year, in your case one of the nearest would be Grantham. They are very popular, so start investigating these at the earliest opportunity.

Remember, this is process where first and foremost you are assessed against a required standard and not how good you look compared to others who are there. Some aspects of the board are difficult to prepare for others are not. At the Spring board out of 96 applicants attending, 38 made the grade. On one day, only 2 out of 11 male applicants achieved the required standard for the MSFT or bleep test. One thing you can do if you are put forward to attend Westbury is to make sure you are fit. The Army doesn't want coach potatoes and you will be failed if they think you are one.

3. Having gone through the selection process in last Octobers board, and was successful, I can give this from probably the most up to date form.

They are very simple but slightly more developed than the 'don't touch the floor' ones. They all consist of getting your syndicate and a burden from one end to the other in the basic sense. The burden can be a bucket of water, an ammo box etc but there are also other bits of equipment i.e planks, ropes to help you but there are again some red herrings thrown in there to.

We did two leaderless tasks where they teach basic things such as cantilevers and the rules surrounding those, as Cactusman said they isolate already who are the loud mouths and who can actually lead (it also helps you personally to see what the others in your syndicate are like).

Again, to elaborate on Cactusman's point, DO NOT expect to finish the task! We had about 7-8 mins to do each one and I was the only one to come close to finishing; this really helps them to asses what plans you had to finish and they will ask you them at the end as further assessment.

Potential Officer Insight Courses are a good place to go, I didn't get on one and still managed it but it gives you a good 'insight' into the whole process and also gives you a taste of the planning exercise under the timed conditions.

Apart form repeating Cactusman, I can't really think of anymore points to do with the command tasks but if you or anyone has anymore questions PM me or post here.

4. To be completely frank, having done the board, the point of the command tasks isn't the skill or the knowledge you go into them with, but more your demeanour and composure when taking control. If you came up with the worst plan possible, all of your team members die and it goes horribly wrong, you can still get a perfectly good pass if you have a good commanding presence, a strong voice, confidence and an eloquent and simple briefing.

TL;DR it's not what you know, it's how your portray it.

5. I got told off on my SQC (yes, I'm a peasant) because I was apparently too aggressive.

"******* do it, or I'll kill you. Are you ******* stupid? Watch this, *********, this is how it goes. It's a ******* couple of tyres and a few planks of ******* wood, and who cares if the baby is dying? Is it your child? Is it your child? Do you want to live for your child? GET THE ******* GUNS OVER THE RIVER" didn't go down too well.

Whoopsie.

My bad.

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Bollocks.

During outdoor and command tasks, you are being assessed on a number of dimensions relating to your planning ability, your practical ability, your ability to communicate, your ability to relate to and influence other members of the group, your physical ability, your ability to think under pressure, etc etc. This doesn't mean that you have to complete the task in a world record time, but simply looking stern and commanding won't cut it.

7. Sorry, maybe my meaning was unclear. I'm not saying you have to be stern, but what I meant by "a good commanding presence" extended to ability to communicate, ability to relate to and influence other members of your group as well as thinking under pressure.

What i was ultimately saying was, don't work on getting your binoculars out to find secret methods for completing all the command tasks. You can complete the command task and still show poor leadership potential and vice-versa.

8. Any ideas what the required bleep test level is, I can get about 12 at the moment but definitely feel i could get up to 13.5-14 in the 2-3 months I have till I do the test
    Will this be enough, cheers :)

9. The AOSB requirement is 10.2, the DSFC board is not as high IIRC but is certainly above 9 for males. That said, my lad said it seemed harder as the process at Westbury generally tests your physical and mental stamina to some extent.

Best of luck at the board.

10. Thanks very much mate, I'll get jogging ;)

11. I've known a number of 'leaders' to whom this sort of advice must have been comforting as they degraded the morale of their compadres and destroyed the quality of the military and business environment around them. Only in the (peacetime) military did they get away with it for very long; the accountants are much less forgiving than any CR writer.

The point of leading in any situation is to win. Very little else.