Army shuts down for Xmas!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by yamkwak, Dec 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the M.O.S
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=424566&in_page_id=1770

Crikey pity the lads and lasses stuck behind on duties, No power or food.??
    Then again sounds like a lazy journo to me.....

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Got to pay for the 60% pay and allowances increase for our overworked underpaid MP's somehow you know.

3. While all those at home get an extended xmas, I wish all those currently on operations this xmas, away from their family and friends, a safe xmas and new year.

My thoughts are with the families of those this xmas whose loved ones paid the ultimate price (RIP).

We will remember them.

4. They won’t save squat in the long run.....

Ok maybe a bit on the lights, but most would be on leave anyway and the rest staging on!

Heating? No save. It has to be kept on, albeit on a temperature maintenance point of view. If that was turned off then we would get pipes bursting all over the place cos they have frozen up. The secondary damage that will cause will cost thousands to put right, far more than the savings.

Then there’s the stored hot water issue and legionella.... let the temp drop in the calorifiers and piped DHW systems for three weeks and you are asking for problems, the wee little bugs will have a field day and breed like mongs.... on return and before use the systems will need testing and dependant on the results either chemical treatment or boiling! Neither is cheap to do on the scale required.

To all you singlies.... On return to the block BEFORE leaping under that lukewarm shower or using the hot water in the sink... Run it for 10 to 15 MINS or so at a temperature of around 50 degrees C + to flush it and kill the wee legionella bugs.

5. A spokeswoman said: 'This has nothing to do with saving money'

How do they get away with such a blatant lie? I'd like to think that maybe the spokeswoman in question just hasn't been told that we've been sent home for an extra two weeks leave so that the QMs can turn the power off with the direct aim of saving money. Just a disconnect between the MoD press people and Commander Regional Forces office...

Sadly I think they just lie

6. Back in 1999, RAF fast jet squadrons were given an extended stand-down, for cost-saving reasons. They had the choice of extra days either before or after Christmas. The choice was split, which meant that the extended stand-down promised to my support unit was scrubbed! It was a nice try though.

It is pleasing, on those rare occasions, when the cost-cutting of the bean-counters results in a benefit.

7. It must be a retention incentive, giving troops longer leave then :eek: .

Nothing like putting a positive spin and deflecting the real purpose of the closedown. :x

In 24 years in the military I have never seen "something for nothing".

8. there savin loads on food an accomodation coz we're still gettin charged for it!

9. Unless you're at 30 Sigs where you'll get Legionnaire's Disease in your block every six weeks whatever happens...

10. I've told you once already sprog, you'll get that back in January.

11. Except the accommodation charges.

12. His kit is still there isnt it?

13. Bizzarely enough we were told we couldn't put a leave pass in for 15-22 Dec or 2-8 Jan, "Just don't come to work", so we won't be getting that back in January, however I will be challenging that in the new year.

14. I thought thirty had nice new blocks?

15. They have some very nice new jerry built blocks with randomly working hot water and heating, fire alarms that go off every couple of hours through the night and three or four outbreaks of Legionnaire's that I can remember in the last few months.