Army should buy nation wide fitness club

Army Reservists seem to be the future definition of a “permanent” Army for a traditional Naval country like Britain, shored up in debt. And I don’t think Western minded economics, in peace time, are likely to change that.

However, this is a good opportunity for personnel to swell to at least match the Civil Service, as the system is a lot cheaper. If anything, the Army wanted more men.

A long standing household named fitness group in the UK released specific regional figures for age groups 18-45, I have rounded them off for commercial reasons:

• 18-25 : 300/week
• 25-45 : 3000/week

These are the most recent numbers of registered members (the target age groups the Army needs), who make the time to engage in general fitness on a regular basis, and prepared to pay for access to equipment. That’s 3000 regular people, in one area of the UK, all with a paying job, and a further 10% on top that are young and hungry for a potential full time career. This number actually only half the total, as the others fell either side of the target age bracket.

There is an excellent opportunity for a high awareness campaign throughout the country, where non military citizens would see the Army every day in a harmless capacity (you could even monetise T-Shirts so folk are walking billboards): self improving, with job opportunities, seen to be a positive force in peacetime. Both young children and pensioners would be seen to not be afraid of the men there to protect them, unarmed, on display in a positive role.

An Army Reservist is bound by a minimum of 27 days per year, likely 50 if serious. However, these enthusiasts pay for the use of the equipment, on a weekly basis, and that is money going in ! The two systems are so uncanny that it makes me wonder if the company itself were bought outright if the existing system could not be used to subsidise the process of paying for more reservists ?

min : 27 days
likely : 50 days
base : £51.22
bonus : £470 (yr1) - £1,862 (yr5)
annual total : £1852 / £3,031 - £3,244 / £4,423

current reservists : 35,600 x ~£3,500 : ~£125m/year (MoD)

½ million men : = £1.7bn !

Army Reservists seem to be the future definition of a “permanent” Army for a traditional Naval country like Britain, shored up in debt. And I don’t think Western minded economics, in peace time, are likely to change that.

However, this is a good opportunity for personnel to swell to at least match the Civil Service, as the system is a lot cheaper. If anything, the Army wanted more men.

A long standing household named fitness group in the UK released specific regional figures for age groups 18-45, I have rounded them off for commercial reasons:

These are the most recent numbers of registered members (the target age groups the Army needs), who make the time to engage in general fitness on a regular basis, and prepared to pay for access to equipment. That’s 3000 regular people, in one area of the UK, all with a paying job, and a further 10% on top that are young and hungry for a potential full time career. This number actually only half the total, as the others fell either side of the target age bracket.

There is an excellent opportunity for a high awareness campaign throughout the country, where non military citizens would see the Army every day in a harmless capacity (you could even monetise T-Shirts so folk are walking billboards): self improving, with job opportunities, seen to be a positive force in peacetime. Both young children and pensioners would be seen to not be afraid of the men there to protect them, unarmed, on display in a positive role.

An Army Reservist is bound by a minimum of 27 days per year, likely 50 if serious. However, these enthusiasts pay for the use of the equipment, on a weekly basis, and that is money going in ! The two systems are so uncanny that it makes me wonder if the company itself were bought outright if the existing system could not be used to subsidise the process of paying for more reservists ?

You don’t need to be a member of a gym to be fit.

Running , press up`s , pull up`s can all be done for free , swimming is a few quid .

RTU'd

LE
Most ARC's have a multi gym & once you pay sports insurance free to use.
Most local fitness centres offer local Reserve Units a discount any way.

If Regular Army you should be getting fit, unless you are G4 RQMS.

Most Civil Servants get good discounts at local sports centres.
Or at a military location once you pay sports insurance, last time I had it £30 a year.

@paddyo Can you get gym membership for £30 a year????

Aquavite

Old-Salt

Aidan/paddy whatever your name is today - fcuk off you dick, there's a good lad.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Most people in my local gym partake in non-prescribed medicinal products that the Army deem to be incompatible with service life.

It wouldn’t work.

Most people in my local gym partake in non-prescribed medicinal products that the Army deem to be incompatible with service life.

It wouldn’t work.

Aye probably not great PR seeing some roid rage para empty a mag into a crowd of civpop because he wasn't getting a protein shake every 2 hours I suppose.

I thank you for all the constructive replies. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: the Army isn't going to get anything like the money it believes it needs.

I can appreciate how that may sound, but you know that it's true for at least four years. So any way for money to be found is a positive thing.

I read about a Reservists experience in this forum and how family came first for them, then their day job and then the Army. This post isn't for those that feel the Army is their family, it's for those with a take it or leave it attitude.

That seems to mirror the attitude of the country right now. So the Army needs to be seen playing a more approachable role in peace time, and not so distant and prickly. Peace time being the larger slice of Army life.

A fitness club/leisure centre environment of all age groups makes money, this can be used to bolster numbers and expand teaching leadership/team-work skills into schools, this then gives long term value when funding decisions are justified at election time.

Ravers makes an interesting point. But of course that would not be the encouraged culture inside a family focused leisure centre environment. There is no room for substance abuse try-hards in a professional Army anyway.

I have seen folk wearing the white and red lined "ARMY" instructor t-shirts in the civilian world, it's a positive, professional look. Similarly, the feedback from Cadets is positive as well, both of which are easier to justify funding for in peace time, one supplements current needs, the other a long term investment.