Army Sergeant Major -> Senior Enlisted Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the SEAC could be a WO1 and the ASM is a Capt so SEAC salutes ASM, Or the ASM could be a Capt and the SEAC a Maj so ASM salutes SEAC, then the ASM a WO1 and SEAC a Maj so ASM salutes SEAC, or they could both be WO1s but that would just be silly.
What happens when the SEAC dreams up his next Super Sergeant Major position? He may well be a Lieutenant Colonel when he is the Queen's Sergeant Major (QSM), a role which is not only senior to SEAC but is part of the Royal Family and also requires the National Anthem to be played whenever he is present and a Dukedom.

The badges of rank would consist of the Royal Coat of Arms, in a wreath, surmounted by a representation of Buckingham Palace in turn surmounted by a likeness of Her Majesty's face. The rank badge would be too big to fit on the uniform, so he would be granted a Colour to bear it on. This would be carried on all occasions no less than three feet from QSM Haughton by his Private Orderly Officer (QSM POO).

This POO would be the most senior private soldier in the British Army, and on the accomplishment of six months satisfactory service would automatically qualify for an RSM's pension.

What happens when the SEAC dreams up his next Super Sergeant Major position? He may well be a Lieutenant Colonel when he is the Queen's Sergeant Major (QSM), a role which is not only senior to SEAC but is part of the Royal Family and also requires the National Anthem to be played whenever he is present and a Dukedom.

The badges of rank would consist of the Royal Coat of Arms, in a wreath, surmounted by a representation of Buckingham Palace in turn surmounted by a likeness of Her Majesty's face. The rank badge would be too big to fit on the uniform, so he would be granted a Colour to bear it on. This would be carried on all occasions no less than three feet from QSM Haughton by his Private Orderly Officer (QSM POO).

This POO would be the most senior private soldier in the British Army, and on the accomplishment of six months satisfactory service would automatically qualify for an RSM's pension.
Will this appointment be subordinate to WO1 (Conductor) in the RLC? Please address your response to 'Concerned from Deepcut'.

Surely SofS's SM would come before CinC's SM. Royal arms in a wreath superimposed on an image of MB. If it doesn't fit on the uniform he could wear it on a flag, as is the custom in that area of the CoC:

Wasn't it Tim Sulivan RHG/D? He was a Lt Col, due to pick up Brigadier, DLB wanted him as some sort of MA/liaison so promoted him in order not to career foul him, then as you say, awarded him Local Colonel.
According to DLB's book (pages 91 and 92) he was a Lt Col who had been due to jump to Brigadier to take over as Comd 7 Armd Bde from Patrick Cordingley in December, but the change in bde Comd had been delayed for obvious reasons, so he still pushed to do 'something' in GW1 so he was posted to join the American planning team of three majors promoted to Lt Col and one Lt Col promoted to Col.

He was a Lt Col when he arrived in theatre on 6 Nov, due to be promoted to Brig on 31 Dec. He was promoted to Col on 10 Dec when the Americans raised the briefing rank to Colonel and then briefly remained wearing Colonel's rank so as not to outrank the American whose team he was part of, until hostilities started three weeks after he was promoted.

Hardly ground-breaking and far from unusual internationally as I've known a number of very competent Indian and Bangladeshi officers who've worn lower rank when working with the UN.

Surely SofS's SM would come before CinC's SM. Royal arms in a wreath superimposed on an image of MB. If it doesn't fit on the uniform he could wear it on a flag, as is the custom in that area of the CoC:

Would he perhaps also have to climb up the ranks of Duke of Cambridge's Sergeant Major, Prince of Wales's Sergeant Major before being allowed to be Queen's Sergeant Major (with the actual rank of Major General)?

Would he perhaps also have to climb up the ranks of Duke of Cambridge's Sergeant Major, Prince of Wales's Sergeant Major before being allowed to be Queen's Sergeant Major (with the actual rank of Major General)?
He could be the Sergeant Major General!

There is a precedent after all:

Sergeant major general - Wikipedia

ETA: linky

Anyone would think he doesn't actually want to be an officer (notwithstanding the fact he already is), as he keeps inventing ever more fanciful WO1 appointments for himself.

If I was being unfairly and stereotypically sweeping, does he know his face won't fit in his Battalion's Officers' Mess so he's delaying the moment?

I wonder if he was flavour of the month when he was his Battalion's Sergeant Major?

Anyone would think he doesn't actually want to be an officer (notwithstanding the fact he already is), as he keeps inventing ever more fanciful WO1 appointments for himself.

If I was being unfairly and stereotypically sweeping, does he know his face won't fit in his Battalion's Officers' Mess so he's delaying the moment?

I wonder if he was flavour of the month when he was his Battalion's Sergeant Major?
Has it been confirmed that he created the position?

Has it been confirmed that he created the position?
In all honesty I don't know. Potentially General Carter wanted to take Haughton with him on elevation to CDS.

What's the point in having a seac who's been an le officer longer than most lads have been in?
It all comes back to, 'why have a SEAC at all?' In fact, while we on the topic, why have any of these makey-uppy Sergeant Major roles? What the hell do they do all day? The Army is so tiny, it won't be long before we're all on first name terms with each other; having said that, where I happen to work at the moment, first name terms is pretty much the norm, it would seem. JNCOs to SNCOs and WOs and between Officers of all ranks and those in their charge. All very unsettling.

Back to the present SEAC - this subject cropped up in the Mess only the other day. The general consensus of opinion was that Mr Thick thick thicky Haughton has something over on friend Carter. We fondly imagined the illicit use of lady-boys whilst on some unnecessary foreign jaunt at tax-payers expense.

The Army is so tiny, it won't be long before we're all on first name terms with each other; having said that, where I happen to work at the moment, first name terms is pretty much the norm, it would seem. JNCOs to SNCOs and WOs and between Officers of all ranks and those in their charge. All very unsettling.
So what colour is that boat-shed then?

It all comes back to, 'why have a SEAC at all?' In fact, while we on the topic, why have any of these makey-uppy Sergeant Major roles? What the hell do they do all day? The Army is so tiny, it won't be long before we're all on first name terms with each other; having said that, where I happen to work at the moment, first name terms is pretty much the norm, it would seem. JNCOs to SNCOs and WOs and between Officers of all ranks and those in their charge. All very unsettling.

Back to the present SEAC - this subject cropped up in the Mess only the other day. The general consensus of opinion was that Mr Thick thick thicky Haughton has something over on friend Carter. We fondly imagined the illicit use of lady-boys whilst on some unnecessary foreign jaunt at tax-payers expense.
I have to say that I share your puzzlement as to what on Earth these LE guys are supposed to be achieving. I have no idea how they're supposed to relate to the lads - although the current Army Serjeant Major seems to have scored something of a coup with his intervention with the Coldstream, useful points there - and no particular idea how the Army Serjeant Major, the SEAC or any of these other jokers are in any way motivated to rock the boat, given how invested they now are in a relatively comfortable, relatively well-paid career to 55.

As an old Mess member myself, I'd have found it vanishingly difficult to trust one of these guys if he sought to get a sense of the SNCO and WO thinking - politically, far too dangerous to engage, far better to remain courteous but distant.

and no particular idea how the Army Serjeant Major, the SEAC or any of these other jokers are in any way motivated to rock the boat, given how invested they now are in a relatively comfortable, relatively well-paid career to 55.

As an old Mess member myself, I'd have found it vanishingly difficult to trust one of these guys if he sought to get a sense of the SNCO and WO thinking - politically, far too dangerous to engage, far better to remain courteous but distant.
if a one star, or higher, can't gather in his unit RSMs for a chinwag and get honest answers... I'd say the P45 printer needs turning on.

Just how many layers of Sergeant Majors are there?

Would an RSM give his concerns to a Corps Command Sergeant Major or a Divisional Command Sergeant Major, Who might then in turn feed to a Field Army Sergeant Major who then feeds to the Army Sergeant Major who can then in turn speak with SEAC?

Just how many layers of Sergeant Majors are there?

Would an RSM give his concerns to a Corps Command Sergeant Major or a Divisional Command Sergeant Major, Who might then in turn feed to a Field Army Sergeant Major who then feeds to the Army Sergeant Major who can then in turn speak with SEAC?
too many is the answer.

we don't need command Sgt majors at bde, did or capbadg e level.

they aren't a funnel for 'the lads'.

Brigadier brigade commander should be able to talk to his unit rsms. If he can't, he has no business potentially commanding them into harms way.

That's 3-4 inf/cav rsms, an party and re rsm, and a slack hand full of others. Do reme bns still make up part of the bde?

Status
Not open for further replies.