Army Sergeant Major -> Senior Enlisted Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.
As he is Rifles, he may be benefitting from the current wave of social media savvy posts that are coming from all sorts including CFA.
For example from Twitter, the current exchanges regarding a Cpl shaving off a renowned 'tache, during which CFA "arranged" a posting

A minor digression: The first badgeman of Delta Force was the proud owner of a crop of magnificent facial hair planted under his nose, on his upper lip. When he passed to the eternal parade square he had bequethed his 'tache to the unit, where it is displayed in a glass case in the Hall of Heroes. I read about it, and had it verbally confirmed, twice, as being a mere, mortal, remf I will never get in to the Hall of Heroes to visually confirm it.

Not just ORs. Pay bloke/RMO/REME att'd all wear beret and hackle in my mob, as one example, likewise maroon beret for all serving in 5 AB Bde (even those sans wings and P Coy pass) as I remember it.
I remember the RCT, REME, RAOC, etc, blokes cutting around Hereford all wearing their own cap badge planted on a sandy coloured beret. I also noticed a fair few who had replaced their own corps stable belt buckle with a winged dagger stable belt buckle.

I remember the RCT, REME, RAOC, etc, blokes cutting around Hereford all wearing their own cap badge planted on a sandy coloured beret. I also noticed a fair few who had replaced their own corps stable belt buckle with a winged dagger stable belt buckle.
Well, you would, wouldn't you? :-D

Well, you would, wouldn't you? :-D
Yes, but the other way around there was a vast, huge even, reluctance to swap a maroon, commando green, or sandy beret for out menial deep blue/black beret when they spent time with us..............funny that.

Depend on who you are really. Other ranks tend to adopt the headress of the unit they are serving with not uncommon for some trades to wear numerous different berets (other hats are available) during their career.

Now we have all these fantasy island Warrant Officers there is no mention in dress regs of them so it seems it can be just made up as you go along or is it a case of first up best dressed?
In Belfast, over a two year period I wore the following: my own headdress, a dark blue beret for two gunner regiments, a Guards beret, a Rifle Green one and a Glengarry! Not all at once though.

Yes, but the other way around there was a vast, huge even, reluctance to swap a maroon, commando green, or sandy beret for out menial deep blue/black beret when they spent time with us..............funny that.
Damn right - when I went to RMAS (having been a Parachute Regiment Tom) I had the misfortune to be on guard duty at the back gate when Parachute Regiment CSgt who had been my Pl Sgt in 2 PARA rocked up to start his posting.

He ripped the piss out of me for my big floppy OCdt blue beret - quite rightly so IMO. I did search his car for a while out of spite, but I think he won that one.

1550582169882.png

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For those of us for whom MTP is a bad dream, why is SEAC's jacket so special and down with the kids cool?
It isn't normal issue kit. It's made by Level Peaks and issued to Hereford only, so he's either been given it there or has bought it himself. Either way, the most senior NCO in defence is incorrectly dressed.

It also doesn't come with a tab to put your SEAC rank slide on. You have to sew that on yourself...

Remember front and rear rank slides? He's missed an opportunity to channel his old-skool credentials and have a massive embroidery of the badge on the back of his smock like some gash chav back tat. An opportunity missed, much like his entire tenure as ASM.

Remember front and rear rank slides? He's missed an opportunity to channel his old-skool credentials and have a massive embroidery of the badge on the back of his smock like some gash chav back tat. An opportunity missed, much like his entire tenure as ASM.
Pointless; unless he's wearing a '58 Pattern belt that he received via the medium of an 1157!!

It isn't normal issue kit. It's made by Level Peaks and issued to Hereford only, so he's either been given it there or has bought it himself. Either way, the most senior NCO in defence is incorrectly dressed.

It also doesn't come with a tab to put your SEAC rank slide on. You have to sew that on yourself...

Looks like multicam rather than MTP. That will tick the Lead by example box, then.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Damn right - when I went to RMAS (having been a Parachute Regiment Tom) I had the misfortune to be on guard duty at the back gate when Parachute Regiment CSgt who had been my Pl Sgt in 2 PARA rocked up to start his posting.

He ripped the piss out of me for my big floppy OCdt blue beret - quite rightly so IMO. I did search his car for a while out of spite, but I think he won that one.

View attachment 378552
And there was me thinking that it was the hard work and guts that made a para but now it appears it is just the lid he wears. Thanks for clearing that up.
;)

And there was me thinking that it was the hard work and guts that made a para but now it appears it is just the lid he wears. Thanks for clearing that up.
;)
Cap badge more than the beret IMO. But the hard work, the beret, and the badge go hand-in-hand

Maybe his office lacks heating and windows...

Pointless; unless he's wearing a '58 Pattern belt that he received via the medium of an 1157!!
before I left the mob a certain regiment decided to ban '58 belts. Alas the qm wore one. This the rule 'if you'd with '58, you could wear a '58 belt'. Imagine their joy to find that I had photographic evidence of me wearing '58 at Harrogate around 1990.

made me larf.

Apparently they have a “maritime operator” range. I checked, but it doesn’t include ovies for fat 40+ year olds, so that’s most of the RN out of spec then.

Edit - more seriously though, I wonder if all the “aircrew” stuff is actually included in MAA Release to Service paperwork...?

I can't help wondering if ORs should salute him, regardless of what local rank he's wearing.

After all, Capt Paton's been commissioned as a substantive Capt since 23 July 2017 when he was 'only' Field Army Serjeant Major and Major Haughton's been a substantive Captain since 9 Dec 2013, so long before he was given Acting rank as a Major and Local rank as ASM and the ranks are all published in the London Gazette .....

..... and QRs does say, very clearly, that:

8.057. a. Warrant officers, NCOs and soldiers are to salute all commissioned officers who they know to be such, whether in uniform or not ...

I can't help wondering if ORs should salute him, regardless of what local rank he's wearing.

After all, Capt Paton's been commissioned as a substantive Capt since 23 July 2017 when he was 'only' Field Army Serjeant Major and Major Haughton's been a substantive Captain since 9 Dec 2013, so long before he was given Acting rank as a Major and Local rank as ASM and the ranks are all published in the London Gazette .....

..... and QRs does say, very clearly, that:

8.057. a. Warrant officers, NCOs and soldiers are to salute all commissioned officers who they know to be such, whether in uniform or not ...
You’ll be shouting ‘the emperor’s got no clothes on’ next...

For those of us for whom MTP is a bad dream, why is SEAC's jacket so special and down with the kids cool?
Thanks for asking - I was trying to work it out, too. Frankly I'm none the wiser for reading the answers; I'll let it pass as it's really not my problem - oh, that and the fact that South East Asia Command went shortly after Mountbatten.
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.