Army Sergeant Major -> Senior Enlisted Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Shabash to Glenn Haughton for his, um, promotion, to Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs. I expect he'll be good in the role, whatever it might be and he'll make the Chiefs as happy with his work as CGS has been.

But... but.... One can't help wondering whether anyone in the position he's in, in this or his previous role - or, come to that, the various Corps RSMs - is in a good place to speak truth to power. I have no reason to doubt Mr Haughton's - or anyone else in similar positions - integrity and dedication to core values, but, you know, but.... these guys are highly invested in the system and either already have or can confidently expect, LE commissions and a career to 55 - and that would make anyone of less character reluctant to rock the boat.

We used to have these arguments back in the days before Corps RSMs and the like, when one idea floated was that an RSMs slot should attract huge kudos and extra cash, but specifically not permit the individual to commission. That might make an RSM more likely to speak truth to power than if he or she were aware that a precious gift was in his or her CO's giving....

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You're not going to shout abuse at the teller if you're next in line.

Shabash to Glenn Haughton for his, um, promotion, to Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs. I expect he'll be good in the role, whatever it might be and he'll make the Chiefs as happy with his work as CGS has been.

But... but.... One can't help wondering whether anyone in the position he's in, in this or his previous role - or, come to that, the various Corps RSMs - is in a good place to speak truth to power. I have no reason to doubt Mr Haughton's - or anyone else in similar positions - integrity and dedication to core values, but, you know, but.... these guys are highly invested in the system and either already have or can confidently expect, LE commissions and a career to 55 - and that would make anyone of less character reluctant to rock the boat.

We used to have these arguments back in the days before Corps RSMs and the like, when one idea floated was that an RSMs slot should attract huge kudos and extra cash, but specifically not permit the individual to commission. That might make an RSM more likely to speak truth to power than if he or she were aware that a precious gift was in his or her CO's giving....
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-chiefs-of-staff-committee-seac.287961/unread

D

Deleted 158059

Senior Enlisted Advisor
Isn't he a Major?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Senior Enlisted Advisor
Isn't he a Major?
I believe so, although he's walting as a senior WO1 - hence my comment on another thread that he'll probably be a half colonel when he eventually steps into the Other Mess.

Is the ****** finally going to sort out sleeves up or down #commonsense?

chimera

LE
I must have missed something - how long have we been using the term "enlisted" for our WOs/NCOs and soldiers?

Isn't that a US military term? It certainly has been for the 30 plus years that I have been serving.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I must have missed something - how long have we been using the term "enlisted" for our WOs/NCOs and soldiers?

Isn't that a US military term? It certainly has been for the 30 plus years that I have been serving.
It's to ensure linguistic compatibility with our cousins, I gather the Aussies have fallen for the same appalling useage.

Interesting, will the man be attending various officer only management and leadership courses at the Staff College and other establishments?

I know (from mates) that the encumbant in the similar role in the US Navy, particularly with the SEAL's, attends course in warry things, management and leadership ordinarily only for officers. A practice that started around and about in the last 10 years, driven by the fact that many top end 'leadership position' SNCO's were working hand in glove with staff & command level officers.

Another question, come observation. With all these differing levels of WO1 nowadays are those in the corridors eventually looking to establish a WO grading/rank system similar to the Americans? If that happens then I foresee a school for WO's to attend to teach them a thing or two too - beyond shouty, stick waving.

After attending a convention about this brave new world a few years ago, when I was still serving, it was explained that the new Army Sergeant Major post would be open to any of the new Command Sergeant Major posts, from any background. With that in mind, I wonder which Guardsman will be taking over as Army sergeant Major.

Erinon

Clanker
After attending a convention about this brave new world a few years ago, when I was still serving, it was explained that the new Army Sergeant Major post would be open to any of the new Command Sergeant Major posts, from any background. With that in mind, I wonder which Guardsman will be taking over as Army sergeant Major.
I assume they will still be junior to Conductor RLC?

Another question, come observation. With all these differing levels of WO1 nowadays are those in the corridors eventually looking to establish a WO grading/rank system similar to the Americans? If that happens then I foresee a school for WO's to attend to teach them a thing or two too - beyond shouty, stick waving.
Different levels of WO1 or just the same one with different appointments?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
It'll have to be a Coldstreamer next, of course - unless they decide to be truly revolutionary and have an Army Corporal Major.

All service personnel irrespective of commission or not - at least Sect 328 of AFA 06 uses that language...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads