Army Sergeant Major message about extremism in the British Army

Of course other opinions are available ^~
It’s not really an opinion - the VSOs that these people work for have a coterie of JO hangers on to book their transport and carry their bags, their Sgt Majors wouldn’t get involved in that - the FTC Comd Sgt Maj didn’t do It for Ty Urch and Hougton doesn’t do it for CGS.

I suppose whether the just tell the VSOs what they want to hear depends on the VSO and the individual. I know that the 3 Div and FTC ones were not afraid of speaking truth to power - certainly when working for Ty Urch and Pat Sanders. I suspect the Army Sgt Major says whatever he thinks will go down well.

I’m not convinced by the whole Command Sgt Maj concept and certainly not by Glenn Houghtons ideas for a deepening of it into a semi career field. No need to mis-represent what it is they do though.

It’s not really an opinion - the VSOs that these people work for have a coterie of JO hangers on to book their transport and carry their bags, their Sgt Majors wouldn’t get involved in that - the FTC Comd Sgt Maj didn’t do It for Ty Urch and Hougton doesn’t do it for CGS.

I suppose whether the just tell the VSOs what they want to hear depends on the VSO and the individual. I know that the 3 Div and FTC ones were not afraid of speaking truth to power - certainly when working for Ty Urch and Pat Sanders. I suspect the Army Sgt Major says whatever he thinks will go down well.

I’m not convinced by the whole Command Sgt Maj concept and certainly not by Glenn Houghtons ideas for a deepening of it into a semi career field. No need to mis-represent what it is they do though.
What's his output then?

If they are telling the VSOs some home truths why does very little change?

Any of them. Where's the straw man papers/white papers/ evidence of blue sky thinking against real problems...that hasn't come from the Americans.
Any of who? The VSOs or the Warrant Officers.

I believe the Army Sergeant Major sees his main job as reminding CGS that it is the infantry which provides the USP for the Army and therefore the opinion of REMFs is irrelevant.

He has said on Twitter that soldiers will decide whether they can wear their sleeves up or down. A small bit of minor bullshit removed that the blokes actually know about.
Although obviously we are yet to see if it will work out after the shirts in/out fiasco.
I recall recently seeing a post on fill your boots where it was decided by one unit that everyone will have sleeves up. Trusting people to get dressed?

I recall recently seeing a post on fill your boots where it was decided by one unit that everyone will have sleeves up. Trusting people to get dressed?
Its supposed to have come in at the start of April but a lot of units have been on Easter leave so tomorrow we will see how practical it is.

Because it doesn't matter how very senior you are when up against a £1M contracts lawyer.
Not much point in them telling the VSOs anything then.

**** knows - ask them.

Not convinced very little changes though - there is huge upheaval in the Army through things like flexible working.
Yeah you are right about the upheaval, a ******* stupid idea that doesnt work in most places. But hey, its modern and trendy so we will implement it. Id be more impressed if the ASM said it was a stupid idea.

I think that was from 17 Port and Maritime Regt - it actually said that the unit would move to short sleeved order. Not quite the same thing.

Yeah you are right about the upheaval, a ******* stupid idea that doesnt work in most places. But hey, its modern and trendy so we will implement it. Id be more impressed if the ASM said it was a stupid idea.
People asked for it - it was widely approved of when the policy was put round for comment.

I agree with you - but we are in the minority

People asked for it - it was widely approved of when the policy was put round for comment.

I agree with you - but we are in the minority
Certain people asked for it, certainly not the ******* who have to work harder to help the spastics on part time, remember the majority of the army are young, unmarried individuals that wont proff, but they will have to cover all the single parents (and married couples with kids who want time off).

The booking transport thing was a bit of flippancy listed as one of a number of menial tasks that a second/third tour WO1 (or first/Second tour LE!) is getting paid the best part of £50000 a year to perform, tasks that used to be peformed, for the most part, completely satisfactorily by a WO who also peformed another day job.

£50000 x the number of these ‘bag carriers’ is a significant lump sum a year. Either they are not doing much more than ‘booking transport’ and providing conversation on the road for their pet VSOs, or the (tremendous) work they are doing isn’t being communicated, either way, they are not adding value to the soldiers they supposedly represent nor the government purse.

Uterrly pointless posts, in my opinion, others are available :)

**** knows - ask them.

Not convinced very little changes though - there is huge upheaval in the Army through things like flexible working.
I rather suspect most of this upheaval is down to external pressures on the forces to stay in line with forthcoming legislation and modern civilian practices, rather than a group of ‘forward thinking’ Warrant Officers getting their heads together and recommending flexible working, NEM and other stuff to their bosses.

I could be wrong though :)