Army Sergeant Major message about extremism in the British Army

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Army Sergeant Major Glenn Haughton OBE
Army Sergeant Major response to conviction of serving soldier
“Like lots of you, I’ve been following the media coverage about the case in Birmingham Crown Court involving allegations of extremist racism against two British soldiers.
“It’s good that they’ve been dealt with like this in a civilian court with a civilian jury – we might be soldiers but we are also citizens and we are bound by the law of the land. And I for one wouldn’t have it any other way.
“The bottom line is this: there is no place in the British Army whatsoever for any form of racism. That’s why one of our core values is ‘respect for others’ – what is difficult to understand about that?
“If you are a serving soldier, or would-be soldier, and you hold these intolerant and extremist views then as far as I’m concerned there is no place for you in the British Army; so get out.
“I do not believe that right-wing extremism is an endemic problem in the British Army. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist – like any large organisation it might be there.
“It is the duty of every soldier, if they see this behaviour, to have the moral courage to do something about it and to report it up the chain of command.
“Each of us has a responsibility to ensure that our great institution, the British Army, is a place where everybody can thrive and an institution that our nation is proud of.”
Army Sergeant Major Glenn Haughton OBE

That is exactly the message that any Senior should be aware of and adher to.

The British army is an inclusive organisation.

We have , Wops, Tykes, Pakis, Gibson's, Welsh, Scots, Irish, Greasers, furrinerz from the Commonwealth.

ALL are buggered about incessantly regardless of race religion or creed.

Army skin colour is green. No matter what your background.

That is exactly the message that any Senior should be aware of and adher to.

Get that on your SJAR, you brown nose.

People are more interested in him suggesting that soldiers will be able to chose wearing their sleeves up or down from April.

We have , Wops, Tykes, Pakis, Gibson's, Welsh, Scots, Irish, Greasers, furrinerz from the Commonwealth.

Certain religions get less buggered about.

As the OP is pretty much a SOTBO here’s a question.

Is Haughton the only soldier in the British Army to have two ranks as both a WO1 and a Captain? (Excluding the royal family).

As the OP is pretty much a SOTBO here’s a question.

Is Haughton the only soldier in the British Army to have two ranks as both a WO1 and a Captain? (Excluding the royal family).
Corps RSMs are usually are LE captains wearing WO1 rank.

Extremism can be very grey. I've known individuals who have had good friends from vastly different ethnic backgrounds in the forces, but would draw the line on a non white copping off with their sister or living in a street full of the same. They'd fight alongside them, risk their lives for them, but none of that mixing the gene pool. There was this curious situation where they liked them as friends but didn't want "too many" others like them. The inner tribe that was regiment/battalion/coy/platoon/section brought about an acceptance of others that wouldn't happen outside.

Yep, as they say, all green. Now fall in, dark green on the left, light green on the right.

I don't understand that. I don't doubt it. I just wonder what conceivable purpose it serves.
Basically a "normal" RSM will be offered the position of Corps RSM, to ensure he isn't career fouled (as he could go LE officer instead) He will be a WO1 but when he finishes his stint as Corps RSM and goes on to be an LE, his seniority as a LE is backdated to the day he started as Corps RSM.

Last edited:
Basically a "normal" RSM will be offered the position of Corps RSM to ensure he isnt career fouled (as he could go LE officer instead) He will be a WO1 but when he finishes his stint as Corps RSM and goes on to be an LE, his seniority as a LE is backdated to the day he started as Corp RSM.
Right, so it's a career structure thing to keep people on the ladder, but other than that has no practical effect.