Army Selection

Right, I know there's probally a million topics on this. But could someone basicially explain the whole of their army selection 2 day and explain and tell what you did?

I also have another worry.. I'm fit running wise but weight wise I'm quite weak. Can someone advise what machines in the gym and food I shud eat to get strong fast? Arm curls is what I struggle on most, manage just about 10kg on that atm which is ridicilous but I believe I can achieve good.

calum141 said:
Right, I know there's probally a million topics on this. But could someone basicially explain the whole of their army selection 2 day and explain and tell what you did?

I also have another worry.. I'm fit running wise but weight wise I'm quite weak. Can someone advise what machines in the gym and food I shud eat to get strong fast? Arm curls is what I struggle on most, manage just about 10kg on that atm which is ridicilous but I believe I can achieve good.
Horse steroids.

Ok seeing as the search button obviously isn't working for you... :x

Army selection takes place at a ASDC (Army Selection and Development Centre) of which there are few dotted around the country. This is a two day course that tests your ability to do the following...

• Run a 1.5 mile distance in a limited amount of time (Dependant on the role you go for)

• Lift up to 55kg in weight

• Carry two 20kg weights (In the form of two water filled jerry cans, one in each hand) up to a distance of 150m

• Various agility and strength tests such as pull ups, pull tests, etc. Press ups and sit ups are rarely tested at ASDC (But you should practise them all the same as you will do loads of them when you get to basic)

• Team tests to see how well you perform when working as a team.

• Medicals to see if your healthy and fit enough to go for basic training.

• A basic test to see how well you retain information and a technical test if your going for a technical role.

As for fitness, if your ok running wise concentrate on pressups and sit ups. You don't need mega amounts of muscle, it's all about aerobic fitness. Provided you can lift 55kg with two hands your sweet.

If you know there's relevant topics already asking/answering youe question then why make a subject on it?

The programme at the ADSC in short will give you a insight into the Army and consists of:

A full medical examination to ensure that you are fit enough to join the army an also undergo training without incurring any injury.

Gymnasium tests on Day 1 at the centre which concerntrates on upper body strength and a best effort 1.5 mile run early on day 2 usually 8.00 - 8.30AM.

Introduction to the training, a CO or NCO will talk to you on the general aspects of the training and life in the army. Also have a chance to speak to recruits in phase 1 training.

Technical Selection Tests that you will be made to do if you wish to join RE/R Signals/REME/RAC/H Cav/RLC

Then lastly the interview with the officer who will tell you if you have passed selection. You will be expected to have knowledge on your job choice and training involved.

This just gives a overview of the two day course. Need to take in consideration of the Ice Breaker/Team tasks/Military lesson/Grenade throw.

If your weak on your upper body strength you should work on it, especially chin ups or heaves what ever you wan't to call them. Hope maybe this is some help you and if their is or/a (better) topic on this subject then apoliges.

Yes the TST is a maths test. It will focus on topics such as:

Whole number divison, decimal addition, subtration, multiplication, division. As well fraction addition, metric unit conversion, averages, ratios, proportion, scale, prcentages, area, angles, volume.

I could go on listing, might be a good idea to brush up on the maths and do some revision because its pretty much sitting all GCSE' mathematic subjects.

only a little bit, and yes there are only 55 questions with a calculator. theres quite a few on algebra, brush up on that, youll have a good time, you get to know the lads pretty quick, good luck

grenade throw? Is this a wah or do you really have to hoi a grenade?

More of a case they teach you how to throw one correctly, and then you have to recall all this quick training, and throw a mock grenade in the priorly described manner. Exercise shows how good you are at remembering things and learning i believe.

I'm really worried about the weights. I'm just waiting for my medical and school reference to clear then I've got my interview.

I am at a gym nearly every day and on arm curls I can do about 10kg in 3x12 sets. Thats not good.

Im good with my back tho, can do 40kg. Just need to seriously work on my arm strength fast :(

If you want muscle mass, then you wanna do heavier weights and lower reps. Also how much triceps work are you doing? Tricep work is well important. Do tricep kickbacks. Google it.

Heavier weights, less reps about 6-8. Make sure that on your final rep its hard work.

And work your triceps, try different exercises for your arms. Tri dips are really good, but don't lean forward cos you work your chest, rather than triceps. Best advice is ask someone at the gym, draw you up a routine.

Also eat healthy, makes a big difference. Cut the crap! you'll do fine, all they are looking for at selection is effort. Cos if you have motivation and determination then fitness can easily be improved. Also they're not looking for the final product.

You'll be fine.

calum141 said:
I'm really worried about the weights. I'm just waiting for my medical and school reference to clear then I've got my interview.

I am at a gym nearly every day and on arm curls I can do about 10kg in 3x12 sets. Thats not good.

Im good with my back tho, can do 40kg. Just need to seriously work on my arm strength fast :(
Here's a good test.

Go and find something that weighs 55kg or heavier (But not much heavier). 55kg is 8.66 stone or 121 pounds. The best thing to use is a rucksack filled with weights or heavy objects.

Now put it on the floor. Now try and lift it above your head. Was it a struggle? If yes practise more with your back. The army are not interested in how ripped you are. They are more concerned as to whether you can lift heavy objects (Which 99% of the time refers to your personal kit which can weigh up to 55kg for infantry soldiers).

Concentrate on doing aerobic fitness. I.e. running, press ups, pull ups and sit ups. This will do you more favours in the long run. Press ups and pull ups help to build upper body strength anyway.

Mate, seriously do NOT do what ginger_carpenter said. You want to use lower weights and more reps. Go down to Argos and get yourself a set of weights, dumbell and barbell (around £40) and practice at home. Start off on something like a dumbell with 5-10 kg on it, then do say 15 reps, then a 2 minute break and then another 15 reps. Then say the next day or next couple of days that's getting easy, and by the 15th rep you aren't struggling, then shift up the weights and put it up to 15-20 kg, or instead of adding more weights, just do more reps on the lighter weight, say 20-30 reps. If you can build up to 50 reps on the lighter weight and find it relatively easy, then add more weights to the dumbell. Then just keep on that cycle and add more weights when you need to.

And also as soldier.a said, do a lot of aerobic excercise like running, pressups (do them everyday so your body gets used to them), pullups, situps, dorsal raises, tricep dips, etc.

What yuo don't want is to start out on really heavy weights and do low reps, as you might get big, etc. but you won't neccessarily have much power (you'll just be carrying the bulk). Also, it could lead to injury.

I may sound like a bit of a know-it-all by that post ^, but my brother is a physiotherapist, so I get a lot of advice from him ;)

if you want to build stamina then you do 12-20 reps, using light weights.

Strength is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. using moderate weights to heavy weights.

Lifting weights alone will not build strength. Strength grows while you're resting.

Depends on what you want! For heavies and the dynamic lift, i would use heavier weights, Like a sprinter, (quick excursion of power) they are massive. Loads of muscle, where as distance runners are slim, but very toned muscles. Also you have two muscle types, fast and slow muscle twitch fibers.

Hmm, I'm worried. I am really determined to suceed for these fitness tests, I just hope I have enough time. If I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, try get my 1.5 mile run done every other day for a few weeks and then try push for 2 miles and so on. I am confident I will do it. I wish I considered joining the army alot earlier, it was a on-the-spot decision. Thought about it for a week and then applied, that was at Easter.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but did you get an army fitness booklet from your CA? It should have come with a big poster too, which illustrates all the excercises, etc. as well as sets out a good fitness plan.

You should at least be trying to follow that, and if you are able to, get in a bit of extra running. Others have said, and are quite right, that you should try and do a 5 mile run each week. It's probably not that important to time yourself, but just keep it at a nice steady pace (not too fast as if your aiming to win a medal ;) ) and not too slow, as it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

About 30-90 minutes after you've excercised, try and get some food into you, like a sandwich with slices of chicken, turkey, ham, some tuna, etc. You'll get the carbs from the bread, and the protein from whatever you put on it. You could also try get in some fruit, such as a banana (high concentration of potassium) and also maybe a yoghurt. The reason you should try and eat something in this 30-90 minute gap is because this is when your body absorbs nutrients, etc. most efficiently :eek:

A lot to take in, I know, but remember - Excercise right, eat right, and don't stress about not getting massive in a couple of weeks! ;)