Army Search As 2nd Gun Is Lost

And i was always told my my training staff - Always look after your own rifle.....Could make an interesting christmas present!!!

The Sun reported that the latest weapon had been lost by an Artificer Sergeant Major who was in charge of a 90-strong group of soldiers. He apparently handed it to one of his juniors at a temporary command post before going to do some administrative work, and could not find the weapon when he returned.-MoD Oracle.
If its true(with this paper you cannot tell),has someone done an inside job here?
Ditto Oneshot.

Hat20 said:
If its true(with this paper you cannot tell),has someone done an inside job here?
Ditto Oneshot.
Or someone has gone in for the ultimate stich-up...

What was it I was told when I first started? Oh yes, 'Never leave your kit!'

G

Goku

He apparently handed it to one of his juniors at a temporary command post before going to do some administrative work, and could not find the weapon when he returned.
What is one of the first things a soldier is taught during weapons handling…. Never leave your weapon more than an arms distance away :roll:

I’ll bet a shiny nugget that the junior is now suffering for his ASMs mistake.

Sluice_dweller said:
You'd have thought an ASM would have know better. Bet he's not going to get the urine ripped out of him much. I mean how can you lose an SA80?[/quote]

Ever hear the expression "Famous last words".In my time I have found 2 SMGs and 3 SA80s.all were miles away from their owners.Next time someone places a weapon in your hands be very careful.(Sorry,I forgot bedpans don't have a serial number :D )

Typical! Lay the blame on a junior soldier...Why couldn't the ASM look after his own kit?

Sluice_dweller said:
You'd have thought an ASM would have know better. Bet he's not going to get the urine ripped out of him much. I mean how can you lose an SA80?
Let's face it, under certain circumstances anybody can lose a weapon (I personally know somebody who managed to "lose" a Charlie Gustav!). But you have to work quite hard at it.

MsG

Hat20 said:
The Sun reported that the latest weapon had been lost by an Artificer Sergeant Major who was in charge of a 90-strong group of soldiers. He apparently handed it to one of his juniors at a temporary command post before going to do some administrative work, and could not find the weapon when he returned.-MoD Oracle.
Ditto Oneshot.
his weapon, his reponsibility. End of story.

The answer's simple: Don't give REMFs weapons!

Queensman said:
The answer's simple: Don't give REMFs weapons!
Don't tar us all with the same brush! I'm sure that a few Infantry Bods have 'misplaced' weapons.

Hat20 wrote:
Ditto Oneshot.

his weapon, his reponsibility. End of story.
Typical! Lay the blame on a junior soldier...Why couldn't the ASM look after his own kit?
Have to disagree here. If you ask/ tell someone to look after your weapon and they lose it, it's their fault. Maybe you should consider whether they were fit to be looking after a weapon, but ........

If your weapon goes missing from the armoury after you've handed it in, is it your fault?

I don't think so, but does the same principle apply?

If so, then HM Queen should be getting the interview without coffee, as I think they are all her weapons that we are allowed to borrow from time to time. We lose them, is it her fault?

Again, I don't think it is.

Fun though it may be to rip into an ASM, there are plenty of admin tasks that require you not to be carrying a weapon. The bank run, cash & carry for fresh rations etc etc. If he told someone to look after his rifle, they should have looked after it.

Fluffy

Bugsy7 said:
Let's face it, under certain circumstances anybody can lose a weapon (I personally know somebody who managed to "lose" a Charlie Gustav!). But you have to work quite hard at it.

MsG
If you think that's bad, just pity the L/Cpl crew commander who 'lost' his Chieftain on Soltau in the late 1970s. Let it out of his sight for a 'few' minutes and when he came back the panzer was gone. Instant "Oh Sh1T" moment as the beast HAD been parked on level ground, engine off and, in fact, broken down. GPMGs, SMGs, maps, kit, everything, gone! Happily, all found later, though said L/Cpl had his second stripe delayed a while.

Or the Tiffy during Crusader 80 who, while cabbying along, spotted a LR parked outside a German pub. Had a quick look inside and made off with an SMG and the vehicle's workticket - just to teach the careless sods a lesson, mind.

Vehicle's occupants must have made an almost immediate confession of their loss (maybe not of the exact circumstances) and the net started humming. Civpol was tearing around rounding up the usual suspects, bearing in mind the terr threat at the time.

A few days later, said Tiffy approached his OI/C (non-REME) and asked, quietly, what he should do with this SMG he'd found. Cue launch noises from OI/C followed by large nuclear-type explosion directed at OI/C from his OC just a short time later.

FluffyBunny said:
Fun though it may be to rip into an ASM, there are plenty of admin tasks that require you not to be carrying a weapon. The bank run, cash & carry for fresh rations etc etc. If he told someone to look after his rifle, they should have looked after it.
And this is why we have slings. If the task requires visiting civvie strasse, the weapon should go back into an armskote

If the ASM signed for it, he/she's responsible for it. That applies to all kit, not just weapons. If he hands it to someone else and they lose it, he should have a that person's scratch in his notepad (if not a 1033) or understand he's in the sticky.

Admittedly I don't the the junior he handed it to is going to have a great time of it either.

B

Biscuits_AB

Sluice_dweller said:
You'd have thought an ASM would have know better. Bet he's not going to get the urine ripped out of him much. I mean how can you lose an SA80?
Best ask him that.