Army sacks 1100 over Class A drug abu

oldbaldy

LE
Scottish Daily Herald

The Army has sacked almost two battalions-worth of soldiers for serious drug abuse since January last year, The Herald can reveal.

More than 1100 men who tested positive for Class A drug abuse have been discharged automatically at a time when British troops are stretched to the limits in Afghanistan and Iraq and the infantry is short of 3000 frontline troops.

The soldiers were found to have traces of cocaine, amphetamines or ecstasy in their systems in random blood and urine tests over the past 20 months, according to Ministry of Defence figures.

The figures also show that the numbers testing positive for Class A substance abuse have risen by 14% since 2006.

This year so far, a total of 422 positive Army tests were for Class A controlled substances, with 20 more guilty of using Class B drugs and 176 Class C. By contrast, the RAF detected only six Class A culprits and the Royal Navy 21 over the same period.

The Herald understands that the manpower problem has become so acute that commanding officers of battalions have now been given some leeway in interpreting the military's blanket "zero tolerance" policy towards drug use.

Any detection of Class A substances continues to carry the automatic loss of job and pension, but exceptions have occasionally been made for competent and previously well-behaved soldiers who have dabbled in post-operational recreational drugs.

But all units operate a "two-strikes and you're out" rule for anyone caught twice for even minor Class C abuse with cannabis.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "Any military drug use is forbidden for obvious reasons, but it should also be remembered that relatively few of the service personnel tested are found guilty of substance abuse."
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/new...0.army_sacks_1100_over_class_a_drug_abuse.php

The Herald have had some interesting manning stories recently. I wonder if this is because they are based in Glasgow :roll:

When did we start doing 'random blood tests'?

There seems to have been a large increase in class A substance abuse. Perhaps a few weeks in the cells at unit level, as an example of the consequences, before discharge might cause some of these youngsters to rethink their lifestyle choices?

I was reading about this yesterday on the Defence Intranet's 'Daily News Cutting' service. There was an article in the Daily Mirror on this too HERE.

Whilst the use of heroin and ecstasy have dropped, the use of cocaine has risen. I can't understand the mentality of personnel taking it. You'll get caught for goodness sake.

Or is this simply used as an exit stratergy?

That is an incredible figure but if the Written Reply quoted in the Mirror confirms 769 in 2006 it would seem to be about right. Think about it these are only the ones who are being caught!

Either CDT has become very, very good or the Army has gone totally to the dogs, it is over 10% of the trained strength af the Army FFS! It would be interesting to see the break down by capbadge, I can think of one or two units where users are likely to out-number non users, now that is a frightening thought.

The increase in the use of Cocaine is easily explained. Its Cheap. Certainly in the UK it is cheaper to do some beak than it is to have a stonking night on the piss.

No Hangover afterwards either - just the rampant paranoia.

Oh and the fact that Squaddies will gamble on it being out of their system by the time Montag Morgen rolls around.

1100 People lost that gamble last year people. The Drugs don't work.

Wishful_Thinking said:
I was reading about this yesterday on the Defence Intranet's 'Daily News Cutting' service. There was an article in the Daily Mirror on this too HERE.

Whilst the use of heroin and ecstasy have dropped, the use of cocaine has risen. I can't understand the mentality of personnel taking it. You'll get caught for goodness sake.

Or is this simply used as an exit stratergy?
A lot of people are under the impression that cocaine is un-detectable after 3 or 4 days. I have no idea if it is true, perhaps not. If thats the case it could explain why they get caught.

Because it is fun and feels good?

I think an immediate discharge for Class A drug taking is a mistake. Something like a long spell in Jail followed by discharge would discourage those who see it as an alternative to signing off.

The current system actually encourages drug use amongst those who wish to leave in a hurry.

Those who take drugs are betraying their comrades in the worst possible way.

Whoops, seeing into the future again

Its because most of society seems to be doing it and it is more socially acceptable than smoking these days. I absolutely despise drugs and it really makes my blood boil when I go out and people are blatantly snorting coke in the toilets and nobody bats an eyelid! What makes it worse for me is that some tw*t, well a bunch of twa*s are making serious money, living a lavish lifestyle having never worked a hard day in their life, never had to get up early or put there life on the line for anyone else other than themselves and they get away with it! Soldiers reading this who take drugs, think about that next time you have a line.

Wasn't there a previous story which quoted that Troops who wanted out just took drugs as they knew it was an easy way out?

This would account for the higher numbers.

eveyoz said:
Wasn't there a previous story which quoted that Troops who wanted out just took drugs as they knew it was an easy way out?

This would account for the higher numbers.
What these cnuts probably dont know is that it is now written on their 108 for their new employer to see. :D :D

Notwithstanding the fact that druggies are generally a danger to themselves and others, lets not forget Narco terrorism and the fact that the drugs trade plays a major part in financing our enemies.

Those squaddies spending money on drugs are effectively putting guns and explosives into the hands of those killing their mates.

We must NOT go soft on this issue.