army - rifle ranges

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by corbuk, May 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question , are there rifle ranges that you can use once in the army on a regular basis :? .... Or some sort of shooting club within the army ?

Any info would be great , thanks inadvance
  2. Its mostly paintball now, due to cutbacks and all 5.56mm ammo being sent to Iran.
  3. The army shooting on a regular basis. What will they think of next?
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sadly shooting as a sport in the army depends upon your unit having a young officer with enough supprt to get the ball rolling, the persons sent away as unit shooting teams arent always that interested in it as a sport. Its similar to any unit sport, it can get you out of duties and away from camp for long relaxing periods.
    The training establishment I was at had a rifle club but it was oversubscribed. Many civilian clubs are formed by serving and ex members but it gets you no priveleges in fact you have as many if not more hoops to jump through to own and shoot your own rifles on MoD ranges.
    The trick is to find a rupert keen enough to organise it as an extra mural activity and source a little funding for ammo and weapons and hey ho you should be onto a good one!
    There are service shooting clubs and a service branch of the BDS allegedly!
  5. And you are right to worry, young paduan.

Lewd and licentious soldiery with guns?

Pah! Whatever next.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok so you want to pay someone in another country to improve your shooting yet you havent yet joined?
    I'd sit tight if I were you pay attention to your training and hen you get to your unit see if there is organised shooting involved. Has it occurred to you that you will have to go overseas to use foreign automatics as you cant shoot them here and also the Army doesnt own any ranges, the ranges the Army uses are managed by a bunch of money men!

7. Dear god...
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ex marines making money, there is a firm close to me run by an arrsser who uses swiss ranges that dont have silly french calibre rules. I cant think of the name at the mo but I have heard good things from them. That said do you really need to blow a grand on that?
  9. must...resist...biting...