chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes.

No

X59

LE
Why?

IMHO, reunions are a double edge sword. Great to meet up but sadly many people who have left still believe they can regress to yesteryear.

Time to move on ladies and gentlemen...

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Dunno, what do you think?

I've been to several over the past few years and they do tend to be quite similar.
Yes, it's great to see old freinds that you have lost touch with, and in a couple of cases see one guy who everyone thought had died (duty rumour) who was actually now a plumber and one good friend who I'd heard had a bad drugs problem and living rouhg (again duty rumour) but was in fact a well settled family man with a good job.
Which was nice.

Then you get to see those who are still serving but coming to the end of their time and you sort of pity them because you know about the pain they are about to go through when leaving which the rest of us battled through years ago.
What most pleases me though is meeting those who you served with and got out 'early', mainly at their 12 year points, even those who were destined for greater things. Almost all of which have done really well for themselves, certainly better than the 22 year SNCO's who take the pension and grab the first job going which often is far below the responsability and pay levels of what they used to do.
They just seem so much happier with life in general.
But for the most parts, reunions are not like reliving the old days. Everyone has moved on and to be honest, that is no bad thing.

X59

LE
Strangest bit is seeing the guys who were the Squadron lunatics / sprogs back then, and now WO or LEs.

I have only ever been to one. For a long time after the Army, I was just too wrapped up in my jobs etc. Communication was a problem as well. I finally went to one in East London a couple of years ago. It was great seeing some of the blokes again after all those years.

I haven't been since but I will go again when I have the time. The big difference these days is the internet. It gives you the ability to check up on these things from the comfort of your armchair and of course, you can keep tabs on old mates through Facebook and still like that. In fact if it wasn't for that aspect, I wouldn't bother with Facebook full stop.

So yes it's an amazing and sometimes an emotional experience seeing people you haven't been in touch with for so long. A sign of my age perhaps? Much as you might like it to be about recent events, It is firmly about the past. I'll never be able to drink and whore like that ever again. :)

Definitely.

If you're wanting a 'reunion' do it at AvN, apparently.

So how do I stagger around the Corps Tent 9 gazillion times and still miss the 500 people I know who post pictures on FB who were there at the same time?

I'm sure a 'reunion' is probably more structured than knocking drunkenly into people you know by chance?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
So how do I stagger around the Corps Tent 9 gazillion times and still miss the 500 people I know who post pictures on FB who were there at the same time?

I'm sure a 'reunion' is probably more structured than knocking drunkenly into people you know by chance?

Well, it's just arranging to be there, isn't it?

If you could see two inches in front of your drunken nose, that might help.

Oaf.

To the OP, they might be a bit tricky (or expensive) in about 20 years when all the Scots Regiment ones are held in Fiji

Latest Threads