Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Reservist Annual Tax-Free Bounty eligibility in 1st year of training

This is my first post on the site so apologies if this is in the incorrect section.
I have a pay admin question regarding eligibility for the reservist tax free bounties.

Short version: I didn't get a year 1 bonus in year 1 despite doing 5 weeks of training and am told its not possible to get year 1 bounty in year 1 by my clerks. Is this right?

Long version: As a Army Reservist, if we attend a certain amount of training each year we recieve an annual tax-free bounty, which increases incrementally each year you qualify for it.
ie. something like: year 1:£400ish, year 2:£1000ish, year 3:£1500ish

I have been in the Army Reserves for 3 years, and being as I have worked a lot of 'gig style' jobs in that time, I have committed a lot of time to the AR (courses, AT, training nights etc etc).

This year, the end of year 3, I got my first 'bounty' of around £400.
In year 2, I was unable to attend my battalions 2 week ADX due to starting a new job, therefore did not qualify for bounty.

However, in year 1, I completed my reservist phase 1 training (a one week 'Alphas' course and a two week 'Bravos' course back-to-back) and my phase 2 'trade' training (a two week CIC course). So 5 weeks in total in that training year, plus training nights, and whatever other weekends & buckshee AT I probably went on.

However I did not recieve a year 1 bounty in year 1 (and therefore only got a year 1 bounty this year instead of year 2).

After recently querying this with my clerks I am told "you would not have qualified due to it being training and also the other bonus incentives would make up the short fall".
The 'training incentives' referred to are £300 golden hello for joining, £1000 for completing phase 1, and £1000 for completing phase 2. So at the time I did get a decent pay day (for Reserves), and I think I was told what I've just been told now originally in year 1 after asking why I hadn't got it, and originally felt greedy for trying to chase up even more money for some reason. But now I have no shame.

If the clerk is wrong and I was entitled at the time, it represents £1000 in unpaid bounty for me.

Can anyone shed any light on this particular situation at all?
So does this mean that it is not possible to attain "year 1 bounty" in year 1? I'm not confident because other muckas have said that they did receive one in their 1st year...
Can anyone point me towards any kind of pay policy documents that outline what the crack is/that clerks use for guidance with this stuff? When I google it I just get direction towards the army website.

Just doesn't seem right that you wouldn't be able to get a "year 1" bounty in your actual 1st year.

Bit of a niche question but if anyone can offer any advice it'd be appreciated,

Cheers,

Last edited:
I don’t have the rules to hand but I’m pretty sure you should have got year 1 when you completed Phase 1 in year 1, provided you also did sufficient RSDs.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
My understanding (and im not a clerk) is that if you pass your MATTS and have enough days, you get bounty.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Absoutely entitled to bounty for year 1 regardless of incentives. Bravo counts as 2 weeks out-of-camp and phase 2 definitely does - I know as I was in the same position. Have a chat with one of the grown ups in your unit.

You're not being greedy, just asking to be paid the correct pay. If they'd overpaid you there would be no hesitation in claiming it back from you!

The only reasons I can think of for not getting year 1 bounty in year 1 are not doing sufficient RSDs or joining to close to the end of the training year to be able to qualify

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I got bounty in year one. Phase 1 training counted.

I believe it’s paid pro rata for the year. So if you joined in September / October, you get 6 months worth i.e. half bounty, so long as you passed all the MATTS and did the required days (which you would have as part of phase 1 training).

Your clerks are talking bollox because they can’t be fucked to do the paperwork to sort it out for you.

As above. If you did phase 1 and the extra few days in year1 you should get pro rata bounty for the part of the year since attestation.

Speak to your PSAO. I had a similar fight on transfer to reserves from OTC (many years ago) and my PSAO drove to RHQ and beat the RAO up until it was fixed (he had issued an edict...).

As above. If you did phase 1 and the extra few days in year1 you should get pro rata bounty for the part of the year since attestation.

Speak to your PSAO. I had a similar fight on transfer to reserves from OTC (many years ago) and my PSAO drove to RHQ and beat the RAO up until it was fixed (he had issued an edict...).

Hi mate,

Can you expand on what your "similiar fight" was re your transfer from OTC, as I was also in the OTC for a year, so this could be relevant to me?

Kind regards,

Jack

You should have got the Annual training bounty in year 1 as well as your joining incentives, for definite. Your clerks are idle and talking shit

I got bounty in year one. Phase 1 training counted.

I believe it’s paid pro rata for the year. So if you joined in September / October, you get 6 months worth i.e. half bounty, so long as you passed all the MATTS and did the required days (which you would have as part of phase 1 training).

Your clerks are talking bollox because they can’t be fucked to do the paperwork to sort it out for you.

This

Hi mate,

Can you expand on what your "similiar fight" was re your transfer from OTC, as I was also in the OTC for a year, so this could be relevant to me?

Kind regards,

Jack
In essence the OTC claimed I had been paid my bounty, they hadn't, the TA (as it was then) paid my normal bounty pro-rata, but due to the training year alignment issue between them I was down my OTC bounty.

PSAO eventually sorted it, don't know how apart from he had to drive to RHQ to deal with it.

In essence the OTC claimed I had been paid my bounty, they hadn't, the TA (as it was then) paid my normal bounty pro-rata, but due to the training year alignment issue between them I was down my OTC bounty.

PSAO eventually sorted it, don't know how apart from he had to drive to RHQ to deal with it.

Oh ok cheers mate. Just checking that the OTC bounty didn't carry over to reserves meaning you would start off on year 2 bounty in Reserves if you'd gotten year 1 bounty in OTC.

Well that’s thrown another spanner in the works

Does it definitely? Have you personally had experience of this ie continued on the bounty yearly scales through OTC and Reserves?

With this in mind, do you think I am therefore actually entitled to year 3 bounty? (Year 1 in OTC, year 2 in my first training year where I didn’t get it, and year 3 the year just gone where I did get it)

Cheers for your help mate it is much appreciated

Well that’s thrown another spanner in the works

Does it definitely? Have you personally had experience of this ie continued on the bounty yearly scales through OTC and Reserves?

With this in mind, do you think I am therefore actually entitled to year 3 bounty? (Year 1 in OTC, year 2 in my first training year where I didn’t get it, and year 3 the year just gone where I did get it)

Cheers for your help mate it is much appreciated
I have personal experience (some 20 years ago nearly) and I have OCdts who transfer to the reserve as I am currently an OTC instructor.

Bounty is based on years achieving c of e, the rate and requirements between group a and b (otc and reserves) are different, but do 3 years OTC then transfer you shòuld start on year 4 reserve bounty, pro rata for the offset training year.

I have personal experience (some 20 years ago nearly) and I have OCdts who transfer to the reserve as I am currently an OTC instructor.

Bounty is based on years achieving c of e, the rate and requirements between group a and b (otc and reserves) are different, but do 3 years OTC then transfer you shòuld start on year 4 reserve bounty, pro rata for the offset training year.

Right ok. This changes everything. Thanks for your help (and everyone else who’s contributed). What’s “c of e”?

Right ok. This changes everything. Thanks for your help (and everyone else who’s contributed). What’s “c of e”?
Certificate of efficiency:
01.02.058. At the end of each training year every member of the Army Reserve who fulfils a bounty earning obligation is to be granted a Certificate of Efficiency by the Commanding Officer. Where necessary, the certificate is to specify alternative training/service authorized to count in lieu Annual Continuous Training. With effect from the start of the 2016/17 training year each member of the Army Reserve must meet the following conditions in order to qualify for a Certificate of Efficiency:

a. Unless excused for medical reasons, pass the Military Annual Training Test (MATT) at the level specified by ATB (see 2016DIN07-053).

b. Attend Annual Continuous Training (ACT). Where training in lieu of ACT amounts to less than 16 days, an individual is to make good the difference by attending Additional Training or Non-continuous Training days.

c. Attend the specified number of Non-Continuous Training days laid down at Para 01.02.034.

d. Bounty earning requirements for the lower training commitment are laid down in Para 01.02.036.

e. Attend assured training (see Para 01.02.031A).

Good news gents - the clerks have banged a U-turn and admitted that there had been a administrative mistake, I’m being paid £950 in next months pay. Thanks for your help

Good news gents - the clerks have banged a U-turn and admitted that there had been a administrative mistake, I’m being paid £950 in next months pay. Thanks for your help
Excellent. Lots of clerks get this wrong, we make sure that receiving PSAOs are briefed when we transfer OCdts to reserve units.