Army Reserves during 6th form?

The_Duke

LE
You can join the AR any time you like (after you turn 18 ).You get one shot at A levels, unless you want to waste another year and do re-sits.

The AR will still be there after your exams.

Last edited:
Thank you all for advice, there's a lot to think about and I think I will speak to army careers office and my 6th form but generally the ball seems in my court in terms of managing time with my A levels which is what I was hoping as I can judge myself a balance based off of your warning stories and my level of work.

The_Duke

LE
Thank you all for advice, there's a lot to think about and I think I will speak to army careers office and my 6th form but generally the ball seems in my court in terms of managing time with my A levels which is what I was hoping as I can judge myself a balance based off of your warning stories and my level of work.
It isn’t all in your court. You don’t really get to the point of being selective about your attendance until you are trained.

The early stages of recruit training are more structured. Make sure you check how this fits with your schedule. I would strongly suggest, again, that you get your A levels cracked and then commit your time to the AR.

Multitasking only exists in women’s magazines. To the rest of the world, it is known as “compromise”, which isn’t something you want to do with your education.

Multitasking only exists in women’s magazines. To the rest of the world, it is known as “compromise”, which isn’t something you want to do with your education.
Two lads from the private school that backed on to our UOTC's TA Centre, joined the UOTC during their last year at school (they'd come along to our RA Sub-unit firing camp as Cadets, so they were a known quantity). IIRC, both (with the best will in the world, and having joined the studies-friendly UOTC) piled in on their final year exam results.

One of them eventually became a TA Warrant Officer, and works in the transport sector. So that's all right, then.

As everyone else has urged you, focus on school first. There's plenty of time for the Reserves.

I would echo @The_Duke. I would also speak to the local AR unit, not the careers advice place, and ask about the current recruitment run in, as you may find that by the time you get through the process and attested (sworn on) you are about to go to uni. Depending on medical, turn around of paperwork with doctors and so on.
It would then be worth looking at the OTC rather than AR 'proper' for first 2 years of uni. The alignment of training is better and if doing medicine will stand you in good stead to step to a field hospital for the remainder of your course, who should be sympathetic to the demands of a medical course, and provide useful contacts for the placements!

In short I'd suggest speaking to the unit itself, start the application, but remember your priorities.

It isn’t all in your court. You don’t really get to the point of being selective about your attendance until you are trained.

The early stages of recruit training are more structured. Make sure you check how this fits with your schedule. I would strongly suggest, again, that you get your A levels cracked and then commit your time to the AR.

How long would training take and what sort of commitment would I need to put into it at first?
I will definately take this advice into account as it's only waiting a year untill university so I see how I need to prioritise, however, I do find that I get bored outside of exam season which has a knock on affect on my academic performance anyway so I feel like if I was able to get the balance it could be a good solution to that. It may be though that things like the initial recruit training make it not realistic for me due to fitting it with 6th form.

How long would training take and what sort of commitment would I need to put into it at first?
I will definately take this advice into account as it's only waiting a year untill university so I see how I need to prioritise, however, I do find that I get bored outside of exam season which has a knock on affect on my academic performance anyway so I feel like if I was able to get the balance it could be a good solution to that. It may be though that things like the initial recruit training make it not realistic for me due to fitting it with 6th form.
The run in can be 6 months plus, depending on a lot of factors. It might well be better for you to focus on studies and join UOTC at uni- they have a different and more focussed recruitment method.

Which Uni do you hope to attend? Feel free to PM if you wish to keep it private.

Use the time to get fit. If you struggle to focus between exams (I did!) Find a sport and use that as your reward system. For me it was kayaking, with the support of my folks - if I got all my home work done I could paddle at the weekend, if not I couldn't until it was done.

The_Duke

LE
Speak to the unit you wish to join. They will give you the most up to date information to allow you to make an informed choice.

Beware "manageable".

So let that be a warning. Part-time soldiering can be addictive and there'll only be one person you can blame if it all goes wrong because you don't even have to fulfil the full annual commitment, your CO can reduce it.
And bear in mind the fact that your A Level grades will dog your career for eternity regardless of whether you get a degree and what grade. Even in the Army.

Beware "manageable".

It went wrong when I became totally engrossed in the Army. Every Wednesday night, every weekend and every day during school holidays. Annual Camp was during the holidays so that wasn't a problem. I failed my A Levels.
Very similar to me. I spent so much time flying I nearly failed my Degree.

Dwarf

LE

Latest Threads