Army reserves being mobilised as a student?

Hey guys, I have recently applied to join the REME regiment 103 battalion in Portsmouth and am a university student at the university of portsmouth. I did think of the navy reserve king Alfred but I wasn't fit enough and unnoticed that it says on there site that students will not be deployed/mobilised while in full time education. I have heard that it is different for the army reserves and I have contacted them seperatly and looked on the GOV website and found 3 different pieces of info.
1: students are exempt from mobilisation completely
2: they are called up but can appeal against it by telling the MOD they are students
3: students arnt exempt at all and can be called up at any time and must do it if it's part of an operation/peacekeeping mission.

Does anyone know the really way mobilisation works around students because I don't want to get involved and then be called up in the middle of my university studies and would rather just move to the navy where I know I can't be.
Thanks very much

You have to volunteer first. If you don't volunteer you won't get the call out. By volunteering, you also waive right to certain protections, eg an employer wouldn't have to keep your job available.

Officer cadets have different T&C to standard reserves.

Plus not fit enough for the Andrew but wanting REME? Might find a challenge there.

Officer cadets have different T&C to standard reserves.

Plus not fit enough for the Andrew but wanting REME? Might find a challenge there.
In REME, he will be fit enough as the brew bitch

Doesn't sound like he's an officer cadet ? Just a reservist craftsman .

Doesn't sound like he's an officer cadet ? Just a reservist craftsman .
What he has quoted about students puts me in mind of OTC T&C. They are very restricted on what they can do and mostly they are over grown cadets that have mess nights.

EDIT he becomes a crafty it's standard T&C. I joined in 6th form and on to Poly no one said by the way students get it easy!

Sorry don't know why this has came up as 13. I'm 20 and I'm in university first year but not in the OTC, I'm in the actual volunteer army reserve and am just waiting a date for selection to properly join the REME.
I just can't find out any details about being mobilised after training is complete as I will still be in university

I did not fail navy reserve training I never attempted it but the time for the 1.5 mile run they were after was 11 minutes where as REME only required 14 minutes to complete the run. Also I was not confident that I could do the swim tests you need to do as part of the navy selection.

[snip] as REME only required 14 minutes to complete the run. Also I was not confident that I could do the swim tests you need to do as part of the navy selection.
That's to start training...you realise it drops to 10:30 when you've passed, right?

Military swim test is a piece of piss. If you can swim and tread water you'll pass it. Navy one might have a high entry test the army one doesn't, but I think they're the same.

I don't mind getting deployed eventually but I don't fancy it in the middle of university when I'm going to wast another £9000 plus living to redo a year I missed because of the army mobilising me when I've been told they dont mobilise students

I know I could build my stanima up eventually to run it properly it was more just the swim test. If it's really that piss easy I might give them a go then with the guarantee it won't effect my studies as the army just don't have that guarantee

That's to start training...you realise it drops to 10:30 when you've passed, right?

Military swim test is a piece of piss. If you can swim and tread water you'll pass it. Navy one might have a high entry test the army one doesn't, but I think they're the same.
I thought 14 was high but i'm sure I was pushed to 11.5 for entry. Unit aim was sub 10 but it was full of ex para old and bold(not a para unit though!)

I know I could build my stanima up eventually to run it properly it was more just the swim test. If it's really that piss easy I might give them a go then with the guarantee it won't effect my studies as the army just don't have that guarantee
IIRC, and I did mine a while ago, it was a 200m and 2min treading water. You're clothed, but you don't wear boots or equipment. As I say, if you can swim, you'll pass it.

The "guarantee," as you put it, will be the same for all three services, because mobilisation is governed by the Reserve Forces Act, and it is in any case de facto rather than de jure. If you're a student, nothing short of World War III is getting you mobilised.

FEASG

LE
Even when we had both TELIC and HERRICK running at full pelt, someone in your circumstances would not have been called up, You will be very, very unlikely to be called up in the current climate, bar an alien invasion.

Even when we had both TELIC and HERRICK running at full pelt, someone in your circumstances would not have been called up, You will be very, very unlikely to be called up in the current climate, bar an alien invasion.
We're already overrun with aliens , and no -one's been called up , so even less for him to worry about .
Assuming he's reading Mech Eng or Engineering , being a crafty in the the REME will look good on his CV and go away towards mitigating the £9,000 PA fees .

Hmmm define compulsory mobilisation against actual volunteering more than one student took a year off to earn cash

Latest Threads