Army reserve, worth a shot.. or stay in my lane?

Kay4712

Swinger
I’m so grateful for all the advice and encouragement!
I have one other question if anyone knows the answer, do you have to have another job to join the reserves as I gave up my job to look after my son full time so I’m not sure if this is okay?

Stibbon

Old-Salt
I have one other question if anyone knows the answer, do you have to have another job to join the reserves as I gave up my job to look after my son full time so I’m not sure if this is okay?

Nope. Not at all.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Nope, but never forget, no matter how much you get involved or love it, it's always family first.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
@kate4712

So basically:
  1. You're a dedicated single mum who puts her son above her own needs
  2. You want to serve your country and community
  3. You have the guts to come onto what is probably the UK's most abusive and mysogenistic forum and ask genuine and open questions
  4. You want to better yourself rather than conform to a stereotype
Even if the Reserves doesn't work out for you, I think you have a lot about yourself to be proud of.

Cap doffed young lady. Good on you.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
@kate4712

So basically:
  1. You're a dedicated single mum who puts her son above her own needs
  2. You want to serve your country and community
  3. You have the guts to come onto what is probably the UK's most abusive and mysogenistic forum and ask genuine and open questions
  4. You want to better yourself rather than conform to a stereotype
Even if the Reserves doesn't work out for you, I think you have a lot about yourself to be proud of.

Cap doffed young lady. Good on you.

Seconded.

And - just for once - the thread probably is going the way the original poster expected. Someone ought to mark a calendar or something :)

Kay4712

Swinger
Well I’ve found everyone to be lovely here on this thread as well as informative and I’ve had all my questions answered, can’t thank you all enough!

Not having a job is not a problem. Though if you are claiming benefits, check to see how reserve pay may or may not affect them.

Your Reserves unit should be able to help with travel costs to help if you’re on income support

I am academically smart, was always getting good grades up to A-Levels but didn’t want to go to uni so instead began a career in hospitality, I decided not to go back into that line of work and the one thing that keeps entering my mind is the army.
I have a good support network but I feel like I’ve lost who I am and the things I enjoy, I want to be more than just “mum” and it would be nice to have a focus
You've really stated yourself the reasons why you should give it a go. Best of luck.
Pv

Well I’ve found everyone to be lovely here on this thread as well as informative and I’ve had all my questions answered, can’t thank you all enough!
We've a saying, 'they're Gen'.

Means Genuine - we can spot it a million miles away having to have dealt with a million chancers and walts down the line, and having tried (and failed as much as succeeded) to pull every blag going ourselves.

If 'you're Gen' we'll give you all the help you need and then some - if you're not, then strap in for a bumpy ride.

Best of luck.