Army reserve, worth a shot.. or stay in my lane?

That’s good advice thanks! I’m going to start looking into what reserves training is like and if I’ll need to spend long periods away from my son for training of if it can be broken down into chunks, I don’t feel like I’m being crushed by persistent a persistent ‘what if’ now though!
Its generally every other weekend, depending on unit and a 15 day training camp or a course in lieu. You don't have to attend every weekend if you can't make it. They do have what used to be called 'stared' weekend's when they want everyone who can to attend. To be paid your annual tax free bounty you have to have completed a 15 day camp or course and a minimun number of weekends.

Hello, I’ve trawled the internet looking for people in the same situation as me and haven’t come across anything as of yet so thought I’d ask here!

I’m 24, a single mum currently living with parents and my 3yr old son. I’m not currently working. When I was younger I wanted to be in the army and thought about it off and on until I fell pregnant and it was too late, it’s something that plays on my mind a lot and now I’m wondering if I could join the reserves.
I guess I’m asking if anyone knows someone who was in a similar situation to me and had a success story of balancing being in the reserves as a full time single mum or if it’s not a good idea and I should give up on that thought too.
I am academically smart, was always getting good grades up to A-Levels but didn’t want to go to uni so instead began a career in hospitality, I decided not to go back into that line of work and the one thing that keeps entering my mind is the army.
I have a good support network but I feel like I’ve lost who I am and the things I enjoy, I want to be more than just “mum” and it would be nice to have a focus again.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly recieved!
Do it, do it, do it etc.
Go on, go on, go on etc.
I did twice as long in the reserve (or TA as dinosaurs like me still sometimes refer to it), than in the Regulars.

Do it, do it, do it etc.
Go on, go on, go on etc.
I did twice as long in the reserve (or TA as dinosaurs like me still sometimes refer to it), than in the Regulars
2 years?

Kay4712

Swinger
And look into the Royal Naval Reserve, too! I joined the RNR when I was much older than you, and I loved it. One month's notice period (unless you're mobilised / deployed) and a great culture (in my albeit limited experience). All the best, whatever you choose.
Oh thanks! I’ll definitely look into that too

I did the TA years ago now.
I still have mates to this day from the unit I was with. Go for it, you've nothing to lose, if it's not for you then you can always say that you gave it a go.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a good support network but I feel like I’ve lost who I am and the things I enjoy, I want to be more than just “mum” and it would be nice to have a focus again.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly recieved!

Like others, my suggestion would be to get stuck in and give it a go. If you try it and don't succeed, or decide it's not for you, then you've lost very little; if it works out, so much the better.

I tried with what was then the TA back in the late 1980s, was almost comically useless, but they let me stick around, taught me stuff, and pushed me to be less hopeless (and paid me, too) while I demonstrated that - I enjoyed it, learned a lot, and knocked off a lot of corners even if I was one of the world's worst weekend warriors.

A decade later I got nudged towards the Royal Navy Reserve, which (maybe arriving older and less unwise?) I found myself a good fit in, and I've been there so long I've got the PSOF medal.

Kay4712

Swinger
Just do it.

It'll open up a brand new world of challenges, friendships, a sense of belonging and pride.
I’m definitely going to go for it now, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m proud of what I achieve as a mum but it would be nice to have something to be proud of that is separate from that too!

Kay4712

Swinger
Like others, my suggestion would be to get stuck in and give it a go. If you try it and don't succeed, or decide it's not for you, then you've lost very little; if it works out, so much the better.

I tried with what was then the TA back in the late 1980s, was almost comically useless, but they let me stick around, taught me stuff, and pushed me to be less hopeless (and paid me, too) while I demonstrated that - I enjoyed it, learned a lot, and knocked off a lot of corners even if I was one of the world's worst weekend warriors.

A decade later I got nudged towards the Royal Navy Reserve, which (maybe arriving older and less unwise?) I found myself a good fit in, and I've been there so long I've got the PSOF medal.
Thanks so much for the advice, I definitely needed a nudge and reassurance to just go for it I think.

I’m definitely going to go for it now, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m proud of what I achieve as a mum but it would be nice to have something to be proud of that is separate from that too!
..and no doubt the lad will be (extra) proud of mum too down the line.

Thanks so much for the advice, I definitely needed a nudge and reassurance to just go for it I think.
Look up 50 signal squadron. Good bunch of people, OC is a good egg (don't tell him I said that though).

Reserve phase 1 (basic) is normally 3 weekends and a 2 week concentration. Not sure on format at present with COVID limits, as I'm not in that world at the moment

Go for it. I joined reserves years ago and had great fun. There is always something positive even if it's just a cup of luke warm coffee at 3 in the morning. If it's not for you you can leave but if you don't try you'll always always always wonder. Also, remember that basic is hard but a game...they want to push you to break and if you can come back wet, cold, tired and still smiling you'll get through. ... and please let us know how you get on, good and bad.
“They want to push you to break” well that hasn’t happened in a long time. It’s Train In not Force Out, these days

Look up 50 signal squadron. Good bunch of people, OC is a good egg (don't tell him I said that though).

Reserve phase 1 (basic) is normally 3 weekends and a 2 week concentration. Not sure on format at present with COVID limits, as I'm not in that world at the moment
Still 4 w/ends for Alpha, or the 1 week consolidated.
“They want to push you to break” well that hasn’t happened in a long time. It’s Train In not Force Out, these days
Yep, my last job was recruit training. Not a particularly hard course, IMHO.

Latest Threads