Army reserve, worth a shot.. or stay in my lane?

Kay4712

Swinger
Hello, I’ve trawled the internet looking for people in the same situation as me and haven’t come across anything as of yet so thought I’d ask here!

I’m 24, a single mum currently living with parents and my 3yr old son. I’m not currently working. When I was younger I wanted to be in the army and thought about it off and on until I fell pregnant and it was too late, it’s something that plays on my mind a lot and now I’m wondering if I could join the reserves.
I guess I’m asking if anyone knows someone who was in a similar situation to me and had a success story of balancing being in the reserves as a full time single mum or if it’s not a good idea and I should give up on that thought too.
I am academically smart, was always getting good grades up to A-Levels but didn’t want to go to uni so instead began a career in hospitality, I decided not to go back into that line of work and the one thing that keeps entering my mind is the army.
I have a good support network but I feel like I’ve lost who I am and the things I enjoy, I want to be more than just “mum” and it would be nice to have a focus again.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly recieved!

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Do it, I have. Was a regular then left and joined reserves.
If it’s not for you, then leave, but if you do t try then you won’t know.

Hello, I’ve trawled the internet looking for people in the same situation as me and haven’t come across anything as of yet so thought I’d ask here!

I’m 24, a single mum currently living with parents and my 3yr old son. I’m not currently working. When I was younger I wanted to be in the army and thought about it off and on until I fell pregnant and it was too late, it’s something that plays on my mind a lot and now I’m wondering if I could join the reserves.
I guess I’m asking if anyone knows someone who was in a similar situation to me and had a success story of balancing being in the reserves as a full time single mum or if it’s not a good idea and I should give up on that thought too.
I am academically smart, was always getting good grades up to A-Levels but didn’t want to go to uni so instead began a career in hospitality, I decided not to go back into that line of work and the one thing that keeps entering my mind is the army.
I have a good support network but I feel like I’ve lost who I am and the things I enjoy, I want to be more than just “mum” and it would be nice to have a focus again.

Go for it. You have nothing to lose and are still young. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out you can leave at any time.

There is always the RAF Reserves as well which seem to make good use of their reservists, and would make good use of your skills and intelligence.

RAF Recruitment/Life as a Reserve/Royal Air Force.

RaiderBoat

Old-Salt
Although US centric, I joined the Coast Guard Reserves after 9/11. I was 40. Best 11 years of my life. Family fully supported me.
Im currently back serving in my State Guard and continuing my career, on the list for Chief Petty Officer.

DO IT!!!

When I first met my wife she was in a very similar situation, albeit living in her own place. There’s no reason at all why you shouldn’t try it.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
No reason for you not to based on what you've written. The Reserves is literally set up for people like yourself.

Before applying though, do your research and decide what it is specifically you'd like to do. ;)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Go for it

Kay4712

Swinger
Go for it. You have nothing to lose and are still young. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out you can leave at any time.

There is always the RAF Reserves as well which seem to make good use of their reservists, and would make good use of your skills and

Thank you, you’re right I’ve got nothing to lose. I hadn’t even looked into the RAF but I’ll make sure I have a look!

Go for it. I joined reserves years ago and had great fun. There is always something positive even if it's just a cup of luke warm coffee at 3 in the morning. If it's not for you you can leave but if you don't try you'll always always always wonder. Also, remember that basic is hard but a game...they want to push you to break and if you can come back wet, cold, tired and still smiling you'll get through. ... and please let us know how you get on, good and bad.

Kay4712

Swinger
Go for it. I joined reserves years ago and had great fun. There is always something positive even if it's just a cup of luke warm coffee at 3 in the morning. If it's not for you you can leave but if you don't try you'll always always always wonder. Also, remember that basic is hard but a game...they want to push you to break and if you can come back wet, cold, tired and still smiling you'll get through. ... and please let us know how you get on, good and bad.
That’s good advice thanks! I’m going to start looking into what reserves training is like and if I’ll need to spend long periods away from my son for training of if it can be broken down into chunks, I don’t feel like I’m being crushed by a persistent ‘what if’ now though!

Last edited:
That’s good advice thanks! I’m going to start looking into what reserves training is like and if I’ll need to spend long periods away from my son for training of if it can be broken down into chunks, I don’t feel like I’m being crushed by persistent a persistent ‘what if’ now though!
Separation is tough. But look beyond it. Look to what you can do for you.
And you being stronger is stronger for your family.
You have nothing to lose!

That’s good advice thanks! I’m going to start looking into what reserves training is like and if I’ll need to spend long periods away from my son for training of if it can be broken down into chunks, I don’t feel like I’m being crushed by persistent a persistent ‘what if’ now though!

Think of it as a dry run for testing the robustness of your childcare arrangements

Do it, I have. Was a regular then left and joined reserves.
If it’s not for you, then leave, but if you do t try then you won’t know.
Were you Royal Signals?

What county or close county are you?

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
Thank you, you’re right I’ve got nothing to lose. I hadn’t even looked into the RAF but I’ll make sure I have a look!
And look into the Royal Naval Reserve, too! I joined the RNR when I was much older than you, and I loved it. One month's notice period (unless you're mobilised / deployed) and a great culture (in my albeit limited experience). All the best, whatever you choose.