Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Army Reserve moving to Canada

Unless you are a Canadian citizen you are not eligible to join the the Reserves which is a pity in your case as Toronto has a nice selection of units to choose from.
It changes with the wind, one year you do, next year you don't, currently, depending on skills, an exemption can be obtained (RN, MD etc.), Way back when I was still war-y, landed immigrants qualified, no prob for me then. Landed immigrants deployed to Afghanistan IIRC.

It changes with the wind, one year you do, next year you don't, currently, depending on skills, an exemption can be obtained (RN, MD etc.), Way back when I was still war-y, landed immigrants qualified, no prob for me then. Landed immigrants deployed to Afghanistan IIRC.
The latest citizenship requirement has been in force since 2016, before that it did fluctuate back and forth, but you do recall correctly.

The latest citizenship requirement has been in force since 2016, before that it did fluctuate back and forth, but you do recall correctly.
Thanks. I was speaking with a recruiter when my lad joined up just recently, and they are still able to apply exemptions if you bring something to the table they need.

As has been mentioned there is a agreement between the UK and Canada to allow reserves of each country to drill with a local unit.

This is the Canadian end of the agreement - DAOD 2020-5, Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements - Canada.ca

For the UK side you need to the MOU between Canadian Armed Forces of Canada and the Ministry of Defence of the UK of GB and NI concerning the Reserve Forces Foreign Service Agreement. I have a copy but not sure it is releasable.

If you do manage to get it sorted then you are "managed" by the Defence Advisor here in Ottawa.

Hello!

First time posting so apologies if I’ve missed the thread where this is already answered.

I’m a new army reserve and also work full time with another company. That company is looking to relocate me to Toronto, Canada which is a dream of mine but as a new army reserve, I’m keen to stay in the army too.

So my question is, can members of the British Army Reserves re-locate to Canada and keep their job in the army? What’s involved and how easy/difficult is it all? If there’s no option to join a British army base there, could I join the Canadian Army instead?

Any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated!
A friend married a lass from Medicine Hat. When he got culled under Options for Change, they moved to the Hat, he joined the South Alberta Light Horse (a reserve unit) stayed with them long enough to get their equivalent of LE Captain and spent a tour of Afghanistan doing radio stags in their HQ.

A friend married a lass from Medicine Hat. When he got culled under Options for Change, they moved to the Hat, he joined the South Alberta Light Horse (a reserve unit) stayed with them long enough to get their equivalent of LE Captain and spent a tour of Afghanistan doing radio stags in their HQ.
Chances are I probably know him. Sally Horse are a good unit.