Army Reserve moving to Canada

Hello!

First time posting so apologies if I’ve missed the thread where this is already answered.

I’m a new army reserve and also work full time with another company. That company is looking to relocate me to Toronto, Canada which is a dream of mine but as a new army reserve, I’m keen to stay in the army too.

So my question is, can members of the British Army Reserves re-locate to Canada and keep their job in the army? What’s involved and how easy/difficult is it all? If there’s no option to join a British army base there, could I join the Canadian Army instead?

Any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!

First time posting so apologies if I’ve missed the thread where this is already answered.

I’m a new army reserve and also work full time with another company. That company is looking to relocate me to Toronto, Canada which is a dream of mine but as a new army reserve, I’m keen to stay in the army too.

So my question is, can members of the British Army Reserves re-locate to Canada and keep their job in the army? What’s involved and how easy/difficult is it all? If there’s no option to join a British army base there, could I join the Canadian Army instead?

How do you plan to attend drill nights?

BATUS in Canada but not sure that counts?

ugly

LE
Toronto is a long way from Batus, if you haven't been in long you could always consider joining the Militia (Or whatever the Canadian reserves are called now), keep your skills sort of current and rejoin if you ever come back!

Hello!

Unless you are a Canadian citizen you are not eligible to join the the Reserves which is a pity in your case as Toronto has a nice selection of units to choose from.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Unless you are a Canadian citizen you are not eligible to join the the Reserves which is a pity in your case as Toronto has a nice selection of units to choose from.
Fell tidings indeed.

At my lowest professional moments (think Brotherton Lad), I always consoled myself with the fact that it was still within me to become a Lower Watha in the Saskatchewan Fucknuckles rather than have to apologise to complete strangers for Brexit.

Thank God things looked up.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How long are you likely to be going to Canada for? How new a reservist are you? It is possible to get an attachment with the Canadian Reserve but it would be time limited. I also suspect that unless you’re a trained soldier you’d be on a hiding to nothing.

Always worth asking. I was attached for 3 years to the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers) and I know people who are/have been attached to US, Canadian, Oz and NZ reserves.

I’ve also seen more than a few people coming the other way.

I’m not a Canadian citizen, would just have a work visa I guess... does that mean I’m not eligible to join the militia (Canadian reserves) as user ugly said?

It has been my ambition to move permanently to Canada so eventually citizenship would be my aim but for now it’ll be just a visa.

potter

Old-Salt
This might work until you gain citizenship:

Reserve Land Forces Regulations 2016 Amdt 3

01.04.432. Attachment to Foreign Army Reserve Forces.
a. General. ACSO 1226 contains the rules and process.
b. Canada and Australia. Special arrangements are in place for the attachment of Army
Reserves to the Canadian Reserve Forces (*) and Australian Reserve Forces
(*) 2015DIN01-176.

conjurer

Clanker
It is possible to obtain an attachment to the Canadian militia however you will need to be Phase 2 trained and your UK parent unit must be willing to continue pay your RSDs. Process is easy but you must apply in advance. Your UK parent unit creates specified tasks on CHURCHILL and you book onto them as usual. The UK accepts no responsibility for injuries sustained whilst training with your Canadian unit so you must sign a UK commitment that you understand you MUST take out appropriate personal insurance.

Clearly, your UK parent unit sponsors you on the basis that you will return to them - you therefore remain on your UK units books for manning, pay and maint of kit.

I have arranged this for an ARes who trained out in Calgary for the past 2 years.

If you are still interested pm me.

Your company will probably apply for a temporary work visa for you (not as simple as it sounds) and if you get that and like it here you can apply for citizenship while here. It takes about a year or so (or it did). You rarely see regular forces around here as they tend to be based out in the boonies, but as @HLD DMR says there is lots of choice in and around Toronto.

The best you can try for is an attachment, only Canadian citizens are allowed to be proper members of the CF reserves or regs. As for the term militia, it is a thing of the past like the TA. The chances for attachments increase if your present unit is affiliated with one of the Toronto regiments. There is everything from infantry and armoured to MP’s and Med.

Your company will probably apply for a temporary work visa for you (not as simple as it sounds) and if you get that and like it here you can apply for citizenship while here. It takes about a year or so (or it did). You rarely see regular forces around here as they tend to be based out in the boonies, but as @HLD DMR says there is lots of choice in and around Toronto.
You need to reside in Canada for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship.

Thanks for your input! Very helpful

The best you can try for is an attachment, only Canadian citizens are allowed to be proper members of the CF reserves or regs. As for the term militia, it is a thing of the past like the TA. The chances for attachments increase if your present unit is affiliated with one of the Toronto regiments. There is everything from infantry and armoured to MP’s and Med.
Okay so that gives me something to go on. Once the transfer to Toronto with my company is made official, I will speak to some people here and get their advice on an attachment over there. Perhaps they have experience with that or have a particular affiliation.

It changes with the wind, one year you do, next year you don't, currently, depending on skills, an exemption can be obtained (RN, MD etc.), Way back when I was still war-y, landed immigrants qualified, no prob for me then. Landed immigrants deployed to Afghanistan IIRC.

It changes with the wind, one year you do, next year you don't, currently, depending on skills, an exemption can be obtained (RN, MD etc.), Way back when I was still war-y, landed immigrants qualified, no prob for me then. Landed immigrants deployed to Afghanistan IIRC.
The latest citizenship requirement has been in force since 2016, before that it did fluctuate back and forth, but you do recall correctly.

The latest citizenship requirement has been in force since 2016, before that it did fluctuate back and forth, but you do recall correctly.
Thanks. I was speaking with a recruiter when my lad joined up just recently, and they are still able to apply exemptions if you bring something to the table they need.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
As has been mentioned there is a agreement between the UK and Canada to allow reserves of each country to drill with a local unit.

This is the Canadian end of the agreement - DAOD 2020-5, Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements - Canada.ca

For the UK side you need to the MOU between Canadian Armed Forces of Canada and the Ministry of Defence of the UK of GB and NI concerning the Reserve Forces Foreign Service Agreement. I have a copy but not sure it is releasable.

If you do manage to get it sorted then you are "managed" by the Defence Advisor here in Ottawa.

Latest Threads