Army reserve MOD training

Has anyone been through reserve training under the new MOD1 -3 system? I can only find information on the old Phase1 Alpha/Bravo courses which I believe we’re replaced in April this year.

I am due to go on MOD1 in the near future but the only information I can recall (including on Army website) is from what I can tell, out dated.

I was an ATU instructor, I know a bit about the new syllabus. W/end 1 (mod 1) is known as Foundation. Basic stuff, bit of fitness, bit of weapons, bit of classroom. Can be quite laid back, a very basic introduction.
W/ends 2-5 (mod 2), bit more intense but still not a thrashing. More fitness/weapons, introduction to living in the field, bit of shooting.
Mod 3 aka Battle Camp. Two week residential, regular or reserve instructors. Mostly outside, lot of shooting and a five day exercise. Can be hard work.

I was an ATU instructor, I know a bit about the new syllabus. W/end 1 (mod 1) is known as Foundation. Basic stuff, bit of fitness, bit of weapons, bit of classroom. Can be quite laid back, a very basic introduction.
W/ends 2-5 (mod 2), bit more intense but still not a thrashing. More fitness/weapons, introduction to living in the field, bit of shooting.
Mod 3 aka Battle Camp. Two week residential, regular or reserve instructors. Mostly outside, lot of shooting and a five day exercise. Can be hard work.
Thank you so much, really appreciate it. It’s been a nightmare trying to find out any details.

Seems odd that there is no info. I'm now a fat civvy, and I know a bit about it. Surely your unit could help, or the ATU that you will attend?

It’s a regional unit so not having much luck as I don’t attend drill evenings etc. The info I found on the army/ATU sites still list then Alpha and Bravo course not the MOD equivalent.

Looking at applying to the reserves but current family circumstances mean the completion of MOD 1, MOD 2 and the MOD 3 camp would ideally be split over three years, rather than packed into one. What I would like to know is - is this sort of longer time frame frowned upon?

Looking at applying to the reserves but current family circumstances mean the completion of MOD 1, MOD 2 and the MOD 3 camp would ideally be split over three years, rather than packed into one. What I would like to know is - is this sort of longer time frame frowned upon?
Basically, you will time out in-between modules. If you don't start a module within a certain time of finishing the previous module, then it's back to week 1, day 1.

Mod 1 is only 1 weekend, mod 2 is 4 weekends (or 8 days in one go) Mod 3 is 2 weeks. I cant see how you could do Mod 1 then wait a whole year.

Mod 1 is only 1 weekend, mod 2 is 4 weekends (or 8 days in one go) Mod 3 is 2 weeks. I cant see how you could do Mod 1 then wait a whole year.
You can't. Ref my above. I doubt that any unit will stand for three years just to complete recruit training.

Evening all, fresh meat here. Just passed assessment after a very long, covid and medically deferred process. Gearing up for mod 1-3
My question is, I've been recommended to take mod 2 over the several weekends rather than consolidated. Am I right in thinking it's virtual? If so where is it based. Do I sit at home and do it online or attend at my unit? I'm going to find it difficult to sit next to a computer all day in any case.
‍♂Thanks

Evening all, fresh meat here. Just passed assessment after a very long, covid and medically deferred process. Gearing up for mod 1-3
My question is, I've been recommended to take mod 2 over the several weekends rather than consolidated. Am I right in thinking it's virtual? If so where is it based. Do I sit at home and do it online or attend at my unit? I'm going to find it difficult to sit next to a computer all day in any case.
‍♂Thanks

Im currently half way through Mod 2 (over weekends). Mod 1 is one weekend (basic and quite enjoyable) Mod 2 is either a week or 4 weekends at a barracks. Im about to do weekend 3. First weekend is fitness, drill,weapons handling. 2nd is more of the same faster heavier march and weapons handling test. Weekend 3 is in the field. Weekend 4 on the range. All have drill fitness. You have tons of online learning both live and in your own time on top. Its crippling me the amount of time for this. When all online and weekends are done its 2 week battlecamp. Good luck my suggestion is weekends

Im currently half way through Mod 2 (over weekends). Mod 1 is one weekend (basic and quite enjoyable) Mod 2 is either a week or 4 weekends at a barracks. Im about to do weekend 3. First weekend is fitness, drill,weapons handling. 2nd is more of the same faster heavier march and weapons handling test. Weekend 3 is in the field. Weekend 4 on the range. All have drill fitness. You have tons of online learning both live and in your own time on top. Its crippling me the amount of time for this. When all online and weekends are done its 2 week battlecamp. Good luck my suggestion is weekends
Perfectly answered, thanks

Before anyone suggests I have emailed my unit but their response time leaves much to be desired…

I’ve done my Mod 1, I’ve got my Mod 2 and Mod 3 booked. On the emails it says Mod 2 is 7 days but then on the timetable there’s activities on both Saturdays (i.e 8 days). With this is mind I’m trying to work out which day I’ll finish Mod 3.

It’s arrive on Friday night and then I’ve been told it’s 15.5 days, which to me is the Saturday two weeks later. Has anyone recently competed that can tell me which day Mod 3 finishes (assuming you started Friday as well). Thanks in advance

Rooper

War Hero
Before anyone suggests I have emailed my unit but their response time leaves much to be desired…

I’ve done my Mod 1, I’ve got my Mod 2 and Mod 3 booked. On the emails it says Mod 2 is 7 days but then on the timetable there’s activities on both Saturdays (i.e 8 days). With this is mind I’m trying to work out which day I’ll finish Mod 3.

It’s arrive on Friday night and then I’ve been told it’s 15.5 days, which to me is the Saturday two weeks later. Has anyone recently competed that can tell me which day Mod 3 finishes (assuming you started Friday as well). Thanks in advance
The official finish for Mod 3 is Saturday 1600hrs. (Mod 2 is Saturday 1700hrs for the consolidated course).

Hi mate, thanks for the info. Got MOD 1 next weekend. Been told to take ALL my kit. No issues with this.
Can I ask of the recommended items I.e bin liners, torch, tent pegs, swimming costume, coat hangers.
Which items were completely useless and which would you take if you did it again?
Thanks

Hi mate, thanks for the info. Got MOD 1 next weekend. Been told to take ALL my kit. No issues with this.
Can I ask of the recommended items I.e bin liners, torch, tent pegs, swimming costume, coat hangers.
Which items were completely useless and which would you take if you did it again?
Thanks

A lot of it you don’t need until you go out into the field (torch/ penknife/ tent pegs/string/extra bungees/ waterproofing bags), and you definitely don’t need the swimming costume until Mod3. The bin liners are useful for in the dorm, padlocks required unless you want your stuff thrown across the room by the staff. Coat hangers essential for dorm. Washing powder not used until Mod2 for me. Flip flops are essential, you’re not allowed to be barefoot anywhere (even in dorm). I don’t think I’ve used the needle and thread yet but just always have it shoved in my bag.

That said, you still have to take it all. You do a lesson on packing for the field and you have to show your section commander the stuff before you pack it away, at mine (Mod1 - Donnington) we had to physically hold up each item and get the approval of the Corporal before putting it into our bergen.

Essential you take a notebook and pen, I have a waterproof one and a normal one, idea being I use the normal one 90% of the time unless outside in the rain. The waterproof ones are far more expensive to replace if I use it all up.

So yeah, deffo not all needed, however you absolutely have to take it all. Try to enjoy it and get involved, Mod 1 is an insane amount of info shoved into the time you’re there, once you get through it Mod 2 is much better with actual down time in the evenings.

Latest Threads