Army Reserve Mod 1-3 Experience

Jimmys92

Swinger
I have taken plenty of information from this site, so it's good to be able to give a little bit back - there's not been a huge amount of information on the new modular army reserve training, which replaced the traditional Alpha & Bravo - so I will give an overview of what it's been like to go through the new Mod's over the last 6 months.

Mod 1 - Foundation Weekend

Introduction to the army - ironing kit, introduction to Army online services - introduction to fieldcraft and military law. Also introduction to drill, standing at ease, turning in the ranks and a couple of rifle lessons - basic stuff but a busy weekend. No fitness or tabbing. Expect to pack a massive amount of kit, most of which will not leave your kit bag.

Mod 2 - 4 weekends modular/one week consolidated

I did this course split over four weekends, running over 8 weeks -but in hindsight the experience would have been better if done over one week. First weekend was RFT, rifle lessons and drill. There was also a steady 3k tab. Second weekend was rifle lessons, further tabs around camp, and the first night out in the field. A basic night, involving the usual cam & concealment, shelter lessons, why things are seen etc. Third weekend, fitness & weapon handling tests, and final weekend - tabbing and 25 rounds on the 25 metre range.

Mod 3/Battle Camp - 16 day course

Bit of a blur, with so much being packed into two weeks. First day RFT & WHT. Second day CBRN lessons full day, then the first half of the first week is spent in class rooms learning everything from BCD to EOD/CPERS/Map Reading etc - expect one or two assessments per day on what has been told. Thursday Friday range days with shooting assessment on the Friday, then weekend sorting for Ex which runs from Sunday afternoon to Thursday afternoon - again lessons during day, put into practice on night patrols. Plenty of blank ammo to go around and also some storylines to add an element of realism. Expect plenty of stagging on. The course was run at a really good pace but don't expect a huge amount of sleep. The course is finished by a passing out parade.

If anyone has any questions about the courses, I will do my best to answer them

I have taken plenty of information from this site, so it's good to be able to give a little bit back - there's not been a huge amount of information on the new modular army reserve training, which replaced the traditional Alpha & Bravo - so I will give an overview of what it's been like to go through the new Mod's over the last 6 months.

Mod 1 - Foundation Weekend

Introduction to the army - ironing kit, introduction to Army online services - introduction to fieldcraft and military law. Also introduction to drill, standing at ease, turning in the ranks and a couple of rifle lessons - basic stuff but a busy weekend. No fitness or tabbing. Expect to pack a massive amount of kit, most of which will not leave your kit bag.

Mod 2 - 4 weekends modular/one week consolidated

I did this course split over four weekends, running over 8 weeks -but in hindsight the experience would have been better if done over one week. First weekend was RFT, rifle lessons and drill. There was also a steady 3k tab. Second weekend was rifle lessons, further tabs around camp, and the first night out in the field. A basic night, involving the usual cam & concealment, shelter lessons, why things are seen etc. Third weekend, fitness & weapon handling tests, and final weekend - tabbing and 25 rounds on the 25 metre range.

Mod 3/Battle Camp - 16 day course

Bit of a blur, with so much being packed into two weeks. First day RFT & WHT. Second day CBRN lessons full day, then the first half of the first week is spent in class rooms learning everything from BCD to EOD/CPERS/Map Reading etc - expect one or two assessments per day on what has been told. Thursday Friday range days with shooting assessment on the Friday, then weekend sorting for Ex which runs from Sunday afternoon to Thursday afternoon - again lessons during day, put into practice on night patrols. Plenty of blank ammo to go around and also some storylines to add an element of realism. Expect plenty of stagging on. The course was run at a really good pace but don't expect a huge amount of sleep. The course is finished by a passing out parade.

If anyone has any questions about the courses, I will do my best to answer them
Hi mate, thanks for the info. Got MOD 1 next weekend. Been told to take ALL my kit. No issues with this.
Can I ask of the recommended items I.e bin liners, torch, tent pegs, swimming costume, coat hangers.
Which items were completely useless and which would you take if you did it again?
Thanks

Jimmys92

Swinger
Hi mate, thanks for the info. Got MOD 1 next weekend. Been told to take ALL my kit. No issues with this.
Can I ask of the recommended items I.e bin liners, torch, tent pegs, swimming costume, coat hangers.
Which items were completely useless and which would you take if you did it again?
Thanks
Just take everything on the packing list, even if you do not use it - they may ask to see it. I think it's as much of an exercise in getting you to follow simple instructions over anything else - you won't need anything over & above what is on the packing list.

Useful items to have on longer camps - Mod 3 for example, would be knee pads and potentially a battery bank for your phone.

Mod 1 squared away. Booked on Mod 2 (consolidated)now in September unfortunately due to work commitments. Ended up with more shit in my bergen than I needed to I think. Whilst outside going through it all I had more stuff than most people had been supplied, so it ended up being stuffed in the bergen just to get rid of it .
I've been given 3 different lists how to pack a bergen so far, that are all different. Definitely need to have another sort through before Mod 2. Kinda glad mine isn't booked next week like some others. Plenty of time to do the distance learning now too.

Latest Threads