Army Reserve CIC Experience

Jimmys92

Swinger
Following on from my previous post - running through the new modular Army Reserve training program (Mod 1,2 & 3) This post will cover the Army Reserve CIC course. I am sure there will be some info which is obvious to some but included anyway for everyone's benefit.

This course is 2 weeks at Vimy Barracks in Catterick, and is not run at any other locations. The training was all made up of Regular NCO's & Regular Platoon commander - all from infantry cap badges. All of the training team were incredibly experienced and really knew there stuff, they did a great job in my opinion of gearing all training towards Reservists - which must be a challenge when switching from teaching Junior Entry Soldiers aged 18 - to us old folks! They pushed us in the right way to get the most out of us.

First weekend is an intro excersise, with the output tests/main focus being Fire & Movement. Finishing Monday evening, it's straight into the RFT Tuesday - I passed OK but the hilly terrain caught a few people out - there was a few who dropped on the 4k tab right back, which made them really struggle on the 2k element. I was running my 2k with 25kg at about 12 min 30 mark at home, and managed to get in just under 14 mins once there. A few failed the 2k at this stage, and were quite rightly told that they had failed the 2k because they had not prepared. They were allowed to stay on the course, but only with a deffered pass. Zeroing rifles followed on Tuesday, by some ranges & DCCT before the main ex.

Main ex was a hour or so tab away from camp, we covered alot of distance between lessons/scenarios - and the main output here is platoon attacks, with Gurkhas acting as enemy. Patrolling/ambush/night vision work/stagging on can all be expected. Most people monged it here a few times requiring some remedial training, but once remedial training was carried out - it was forgotten about and then straight back into the ex.

Once back from ex, it's ranges mainly for the last week - these are good days with good levels of coaching. It's then a couple of days of admin/sorting everything out before hometime on the saturday. The course is a challenge at times, as it's meant to be - but it's made easier by being treated as more of an adult, the onus here is not to let your mates down and understanding the importance of your training, rather than just going through the motions.

Happy to answer any questions people may have.

In my experience, recruits worry massively about the tests and especially field exercises. Getting all that out of the way early is, IMHO, a good thing.
Extra rations.
Do you think that Alpha and Bravo/MOD 3/ battle camp (whatever it is called now) prepared you for Catterick?

Last edited:

Jimmys92

Swinger
In my experience, recruits worry massively about the tests and especially field exercises. Getting all that out of the way early is, IMHO, a good thing.
Extra rations.
Do you think that Alpha and Bravo/MOD 3/ battle camp (whatever it is called now) prepared you for Catterick?

Yeah it was good to have it done early to be honest, the RFT was the main thing I was nervous about and it allowed me to get it out of the way nice & early - on the flip side though, the guys who failed it had ten days knowing that they would have a deferred pass - so a few heads went down and a few dropped off the course.

Mod 3 Battle Camp certainly helped with the basics, such as morning routine on ex - however there is definitely an infantry way of doing things VS other cap badges, I think more than preparing us for catterick - Mod 3 was a course in it's own right, with CBRN/EOD/First Aid/Nav - that was not covered at all on CIC.

Yeah it was good to have it done early to be honest, the RFT was the main thing I was nervous about and it allowed me to get it out of the way nice & early - on the flip side though, the guys who failed it had ten days knowing that they would have a deferred pass - so a few heads went down and a few dropped off the course.

Mod 3 Battle Camp certainly helped with the basics, such as morning routine on ex - however there is definitely an infantry way of doing things VS other cap badges, I think more than preparing us for catterick - Mod 3 was a course in it's own right, with CBRN/EOD/First Aid/Nav - that was not covered at all on CIC.
I was an infantryman, both regular and reserve, and an ATU instructor. I felt that the courses (A and B) were not hard enough, certainly not for infantry. MOD 3 is slightly after my time. Can I ask your cap badge and which ATU you attended? Feel free to tell me to swivel. :)