Army Regular Reserves to be called up

Swynnerton was an odd one. It had been a WW2 ROF/magazine in Cold Meece, Staffs. Lots of roads laid out and ammo storage buildings. It was also used for driver training for UK units going to the continent on exercise, so the road markings etc were all arrse-about-face and you drove on the right within the camp. There wasn’t much there in terms of infrastructure that we used, but apparently there was a regional command bunker there. It was probably secret at that time (80s) and I don’t recall seeing it, let alone going in it. No idea if it’s still in the MOD estate.
It was being used for a P/JNCO Cadre three years ago. I think it’s still being used now.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
TA. I was in the TA Signals for 5 years before I went regular. I'd have been 19 or so. My unit was in Chester, and we'd use the camps within 100 miles or so for mil trg, AT, exercise locations etc. I can't remember why we were there, but it was probably a mil trg thing. Definitely wasn't a signals exercise, we'd not be on the assault course if it had been.

Holcombe Moor was one of quite a few that I can recall: Saighton, Swynnerton, Leek, Capel Curig, Altcar etc. Sometimes we'd use airfields for exercise locs like Burtonwood, Tern Hill, Cosford etc. Some of them have closed/been redeveloped now, but it looks like Holcombe is still there/in use. Google Earth image date is from May 2019.
shame they binned the Liney trade in the R Sigs. I was duel traded, radio op & Driver Lineman. still have my belt and snips. just going out to check the line so we went to the next imbiss. was funny at times.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Yep, I mean, it's not like they might need somewhere for emergency service workers to bed down in (relative) comfort and safety if for example, there's a pandemic. Nope, that will never happen, so let's sell it all off so that they can build flats that no one can afford.
Or securely storing and distributing food and medicine to vulnerable people.

Swynnerton was an odd one. It had been a WW2 ROF/magazine in Cold Meece, Staffs. Lots of roads laid out and ammo storage buildings. It was also used for driver training for UK units going to the continent on exercise, so the road markings etc were all arrse-about-face and you drove on the right within the camp. There wasn’t much there in terms of infrastructure that we used, but apparently there was a regional command bunker there. It was probably secret at that time (80s) and I don’t recall seeing it, let alone going in it. No idea if it’s still in the MOD estate.
it’s was about 5 years ago.

It'll never catch on. Nor will maintaining a large hall, kitchen, associated offices and parking area in every town and city across the country.
Personally I feel that sort of thing should be continued.

Lots of old village/community halls would have a kitchen large hall etc.

I remember many of the ones I used as a nipper would have easily had a area for general admin and enough class rooms for sleeping.

Wire in a slack handful of phones and broadband and enable the powering from an external generator, maybe some cellars and you're away.

The ta has essentially gone but I'd like to see a location based, multi discipline unit in various locations. A city like Manchester could probably support a BN, others a coy or troop.

Retain former regs and reserves in a HSF cum pioneer and driver trade for home use only.

Call out for dramas in the local area.

Maybe a commitment of 14 days on supp 2 with £1k bounty, joining bonus for first three to five years with free dental and medical. Maybe even a tax break.

If someone didn't answer when called on that could be reclaimed.

I remember Church Crookham where I used to go as a cadet in the early 70's. Great place.
I did my driver training there in 1968 at 56 MT.

We're you a Gurkha cadet @.@
Ayaaaaaaa Gurkaliiiiiiiiiiiiii :)

No, Green Jackets....1st Cdt Bn, KRRC to be more precise. Great times as a young 13 year old at Church Crookham, Local to the ranges and to the assault course at Pirbright. There was something comforting about 'the spiders'. I never remember them being cold, and even as a regular many years later, always thought that the spiders were like real barracks, not like these weird collection of rooms designed to allow privacy, but in reality, isolate soldiers from each other in what I think, is a very unproductive way.

Can't wait to get recalled. I need my MOD90 back.

Ayaaaaaaa Gurkaliiiiiiiiiiiiii :)

No, Green Jackets....1st Cdt Bn, KRRC to be more precise. Great times as a young 13 year old at Church Crookham, Local to the ranges and to the assault course at Pirbright. There was something comforting about 'the spiders'. I never remember them being cold, and even as a regular many years later, always thought that the spiders were like real barracks, not like these weird collection of rooms designed to allow privacy, but in reality, isolate soldiers from each other in what I think, is a very unproductive way.

Can't wait to get recalled. I need my MOD90 back.
When are we getting a MoD90 retired cards. I need to lose it

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
The posts above lead me to wonder this - are Scottish soldiers braver than English soldiers?

In a chariot?
Near enough. In very old landrovers with the speedo at knee level. Still it wrere good fun. Unless you selected first gear and it slipped into reverse because of wear in the gear box. Thats what happened to me on my driving test.