Army Regular Reserves to be called up

It looks remarkably like 206 to me on one level. Body shapes are similar but I can't see the faces to confirm.
It's certainly possible, but I'm pretty sure that in my time, 206 didn't do a royal salute. Only 207 and 212. But heyho, it's a long time ago, memory cards.

yes.. think it was Drip road or Forthside. remember there was a REME workshop down there. Civilians working there.
There was a Sapper bridging and Watermanship camp at Drip in the 70s

Whats the moor north of Manchester?

ETA Holcombe Moor
In my youth I did the assault course at Holcombe Moor. It was mid-winter and I was first down the zip line at the end and broke the ice on the ferking deep puddles under the landing area. More of a swamp than a puddle. I got soaked with ice-cold water and ended up with pleurisy. Sick as a dog for weeks. 30 years ago now, but not very pleasant memories of that place.

I've just looked it up on Google Earth, and the assault course is still there. Shudder :)

In my youth I did the assault course at Holcombe Moor. It was mid-winter and I was first down the zip line at the end and broke the ice on the ferking deep puddles under the landing area. More of a swamp than a puddle. I got soaked with ice-cold water and ended up with pleurisy. Sick as a dog for weeks. 30 years ago now, but not very pleasant memories of that place.

I've just looked it up on Google Earth, and the assault course is still there. Shudder :)
Google earth uses old photos, bear in mind.

Was that with Harrogate? I'm sure that is with whom I visited.

Holcomb moor. Big long valley behind the accomodation and square.

Google earth uses old photos, bear in mind.

Was that with Harrogate? I'm sure that is with whom I visited.

Holcomb moor. Big long valley behind the accomodation and square.
TA. I was in the TA Signals for 5 years before I went regular. I'd have been 19 or so. My unit was in Chester, and we'd use the camps within 100 miles or so for mil trg, AT, exercise locations etc. I can't remember why we were there, but it was probably a mil trg thing. Definitely wasn't a signals exercise, we'd not be on the assault course if it had been.

Holcombe Moor was one of quite a few that I can recall: Saighton, Swynnerton, Leek, Capel Curig, Altcar etc. Sometimes we'd use airfields for exercise locs like Burtonwood, Tern Hill, Cosford etc. Some of them have closed/been redeveloped now, but it looks like Holcombe is still there/in use. Google Earth image date is from May 2019.

We can help

Holcombe Moor was one of quite a few that I can recall: Saighton, Swynnerton, Leek, Capel Curig, Altcar etc. Sometimes we'd use airfields for exercise locs like Burtonwood, Tern Hill, Cosford etc. Some of them have closed/been redeveloped now, but it looks like Holcombe is still there/in use. Google Earth image date is from May 2019.
Saighton. Gone now iirc but lots of spiders that were warm istr.

Leek, Anzio camp. Another nice facility gone.

Can't recall swynerton.

Saighton. Gone now iirc but lots of spiders that were warm istr.

Leek, Anzio camp. Another nice facility gone.

Can't recall swynerton.
Swynnerton was an odd one. It had been a WW2 ROF/magazine in Cold Meece, Staffs. Lots of roads laid out and ammo storage buildings. It was also used for driver training for UK units going to the continent on exercise, so the road markings etc were all arrse-about-face and you drove on the right within the camp. There wasn’t much there in terms of infrastructure that we used, but apparently there was a regional command bunker there. It was probably secret at that time (80s) and I don’t recall seeing it, let alone going in it. No idea if it’s still in the MOD estate.

It'll never catch on. Nor will maintaining a large hall, kitchen, associated offices and parking area in every town and city across the country.
Yep, I mean, it's not like they might need somewhere for emergency service workers to bed down in (relative) comfort and safety if for example, there's a pandemic. Nope, that will never happen, so let's sell it all off so that they can build flats that no one can afford.

Latest Threads