Army recruits just 10% of officers needed for 2018-2019

That's a bollocks recruiting meme from people trying to find an excuse as to why we can't recruit. I didn't know what the Signals did when I joined, it was just high up in the BARB list.
Also, people don't join the Signals, they want to do Cyber, which Corps is the best for that?
Your Corps recruitment is currently sh*t, and on the sh*tness scale of overall recruitment is one of the sh*ttest.

Corps like the RAC, have acknowledged that every little helps, introduced ‘vanilla loading’ and are currently the top of the sh*t (recruiting) heap.

I agree with you 100% that cyber is currently sexy, however, what part of Comms Sys Op, Comms Sys Eng or Comms Log Spec, screams cyber to your potential audience?

Remain the Royal Signals, it’s obviously sexy as f*ck ^~

Who knows?

But I am certain, cyber or digital would be far more relevant than Signals. After all, when the glorious Corps let you go, you didn’t retain Telegraph in your title. Indeed, the RE themselves ditched the name Sappers & Miners as part of its own evolvement.

It’s not a panacea that will resolve the recruiting ills, but every little helps and nothing should be off the table, for anyone.
I think "Cyber" in the title would be a little bit disingenuous owing to the limited amount of PIDs. I don't think the name is an issue to be honest, and its probably more relevant than the AGC. Apparently, if you call the recruiting hotline and say you want to do "IT" you get directed towards the RLC or Engr.

Your Corps recruitment is currently sh*t, and on the sh*tness scale of overall recruitment is one of the sh*ttest.

Corps like the RAC, have acknowledged that every little helps, introduced ‘vanilla loading’ and are currently the top of the sh*t (recruiting) heap.

I agree with you 100% that cyber is currently sexy, however, what part of Comms Sys Op, Comms Sys Eng or Comms Log Spec, screams cyber to your potential audience?

Remain the Royal Signals, it’s obviously sexy as f*ck ^~
"Vanilla Loading", is this where you join the Corps and get your job afterwards?

Harry and Megan are having a baby.
Does your editor not know about that?

Perhaps s/he can already be subscribed to a position in the Blues and Royals, Household Cavalry or other suitable regiment(-ish). Commissioned of course. This should help with the recruitment figures around the year 2040. Every little helps, and all that.

"Vanilla Loading", is this were you join the Corps and get your job afterwards?
To an extent, yes. In the case of the RAC, they join the RAC and get allocated a Regt later on operational priority. It is / should be flexible and if someone is adamant for a particular capbadge they can get it.

Loads of people just want to join the army and have no idea of branches / trades etc. Surprisingly few know what they want from the very start.

To an extent, yes. In the case of the RAC, they join the RAC and get allocated a Regt later on operational priority. It is / should be flexible and if someone is adamant for a particular capbadge they can get it.

Loads of people just want to join the army and have no idea of branches / trades etc. Surprisingly few know what they want from the very start.
Not great if you have got a clue what you want to do. Being a big fanny/control freak this would have put me off. It all sounds very American.

Not great if you have got a clue what you want to do. Being a big fanny/control freak this would have put me off. It all sounds very American.
Like I said, if you are 3rd generation RTR and express a firm preference, I understand that you will go RTR.

But the fact of the matter is most people enticed by the f*ck off big tank they saw don’t know their KRH from their QRH from their SDG in reality.

Looking at a slightly more ‘technical’ Corps, the RA vanilla load and allocate trades in Initial Trade Training. It means their joiners can get into Basic faster, reducing the, way too long, pipeline.

Incidentally, they are toward the top of the recruiting sh*t heap along with the RAC.

Like I said, if you are 3rd generation RTR and express a firm preference, I understand that you will go RTR.

But the fact of the matter is most people enticed by the f*ck off big tank they saw don’t know their KRH from their QRH from their SDG in reality.

Looking at a slightly more ‘technical’ Corps, the RA vanilla load and allocate trades in Initial Trade Training. It means their joiners can get into Basic faster, reducing the, way too long, pipeline.

Incidentally, they are toward the top of the recruiting sh*t heap along with the RAC.
Horses for courses, I don't think that'll pull people into R Sigs. I'd like to think that we're after a pretty intelligent demographic an not knowing what trade you'll get isn't going to pull people in. You could join with dreams of offensive cyber and end up plugging in generators. I suppose that's what happens anyway, but I can't see the brightest risking it.

Horses for courses, I don't think that'll pull people into R Sigs. I'd like to think that we're after a pretty intelligent demographic an not knowing what trade you'll get isn't going to pull people in. You could join with dreams of offensive cyber and end up plugging in generators. I suppose that's what happens anyway, but I can't see the brightest risking it.
No argument from me, but, everyone needs to do some soul searching occasionally, even if the conclusion is the status quo is the correct way forward.

The Army has been mapping military courses to civilian qualifications for more than 20 years. It's always a work in progress, though, and this is the latest turn of the wheel.
I think that despite the pitch 'A trade for life' the Sappers, rather embarrassingly, are not delivering on this. In almost every case I've heard the trade courses always a few modules of the civvy qual.

For. Fcuking. Shame!

RMAS may be doing well but I can't throw a bridge across a gap on my own. If in a Corps there are no troops to look after, command and task, what's the point of Officers?

I think that despite the pitch 'A trade for life' the Sappers, rather embarrassingly, are not delivering on this. In almost every case I've heard the trade courses always a few modules of the civvy qual.

For. Fcuking. Shame!

RMAS may be doing well but I can't throw a bridge across a gap on my own. If in a Corps there are no troops to look after, command and task, what's the point of Officers?
That’s the Defence Systems Approach to Training. It means soldiers less than what they actually need and probably funds all the MSc’s Officers get at Shrivenham (who duly ignore DSAT).

For. Fcuking. Shame!

For as long as I can remember the Army has been all about the Officer Corps. Soldiers have always existed to support officers games and their crazy ideas and careers.

Even now, the Army’s main effort is the maintenance of RMAS, you only have to look at the efforts that go into every event held there, from Arms & Services day to the myriad of BAME and Female events.

I am not bitter by the way, just stating facts. I should have tried harder at school, changed my accent and bought some ‘chaps’ clothes if I wanted a piece of it :)

For as long as I can remember the Army has been all about the Officer Corps. Soldiers have always existed to support officers games and their crazy ideas and careers.

Even now, the Army’s main effort is the maintenance of RMAS, you only have to look at the efforts that go into every event held there, from Arms & Services day to the myriad of BAME and Female events.

I am not bitter by the way, just stating facts. I should have tried harder at school, changed my accent and bought some ‘chaps’ clothes if I wanted a piece of it :)
We've got some right rough cnuts in the Sappers, regional accents, the lot. Some of them actually know what they're doing too. Fcuking PQE cone heads....

If in a Corps there are no troops to look after, command and task, what's the point of Officers?
That tends to be a question even when you have thousands of troops.

Hey thanks for the reply,

Well that is fair enough, though year on year it seems to be that the army is not filling the quotas that they set for themselves. I have a pal who applied to Sandhurst was short on the A levels mark of 180 by 10 but he was in uni and he is waiting to hear back on if he can get an educational waiver, though he is BAME and the nephew of the current Vice Chief of defence forces of Kenya.... Is getting to Sandhurst "easier" now especially if you're BAME? Seen a lot about that on the army's website
Your friend is black, Asian and minority ethnic?

Aye, 'appen tha' shud. It worked for me.

I'm also in contact with the nephew of the current Vice Chief of the Kenyan Defence Forces. Did you know he's the rightful heir to the Kenyan crown jewels? If I send him $5,000 dollars, he can get them released to him, and he'll send me $100,000 dollars for my trouble.

How much did he offer you?
They are low balling you bro. The Nigerians pay you better.

I can attest to this, I was loaded onto RA very quickly I start phase one in a couple weeks at least it does for me but I'm joining as a lowly regular not an officer.