Army recruits just 10% of officers needed for 2018-2019

Sounds good, as long as they provide bits of paper that are recognised by civilian industry, then the nut should be cracked.

The Army has been mapping military courses to civilian qualifications for more than 20 years. It's always a work in progress, though, and this is the latest turn of the wheel.

And Royal Signals was doing very well at this. Hopefully a new broom sweeps clean.

The issue is that the new generation is never the same as the previous one and economic opportunities twist in the wind. The youngsters and their gatekeepers (in my experience that's the mothers) are much quicker at adapting than an institution like the Army and its out-sourced contracts.

The issue is that the new generation is never the same as the previous one and economic opportunities twist in the wind. The youngsters and their gatekeepers (in my experience that's the mothers) are much quicker at adapting than an institution like the Army and its out-sourced contracts.
Sorry not with you, adapting to what?

Sorry not with you, adapting to what?

Adapting to the new world. Individuals and families can do this so much more quickly than institutions, so institutions always have to play catch up unless they're smart enough to see the straws in the wind.

Hi guys,

I recently came across an article on forces.net which really depicts a bleak picture in terms of recruitment for the army.
As the title states the The Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff, Sir Mark Poffley, said that in the three months to August, the Army had recruited just 10% of the officer recruits and 7% of the other ranks it needed for 2018-19. I am applying to become an officer and I guess this should be good news as one might argue that it may be easier to "get in" though I do feel that it is a bit worrying.
Would any anyone know why recruitment is so low and is becoming an army officer a "good career choice"?
Thanks

Capita 'Failing To Bring In Army Recruits'
Harry and Megan are having a baby.
Does your editor not know about that?

Officer intakes have been all but full for the last 3 turns of the handle and is looking good for the immediate future, however, those close to the issue would say that we still need to solve the slow burners, Wellbeck, bursaries, etc.

As for the Royal Signals issue, there is a school of thought (not in the Corps itself, I hasten to add), that the name Royal Signals means nothing to the modern youth.

What is Signals (something to do with railways?), what do they do? Such a modern Corps, with such a disconnected name?

Discuss ^~

Officer intakes have been all but full for the last 3 turns of the handle and is looking good for the immediate future, however, those close to the issue would say that we still need to solve the slow burners, Wellbeck, bursaries, etc.

As for the Royal Signals issue, there is a school of thought (not in the Corps itself, I hasten to add), that the name Royal Signals means nothing to the modern youth.

What is Signals (something to do with railways?), what do they do? Such a modern Corps, with such a disconnected name?

Discuss ^~

Royal Global Media Corps?

21st Century Comms?

Adapting to the new world. Individuals and families can do this so much more quickly than institutions, so institutions always have to play catch up unless they're smart enough to see the straws in the wind.
What confuses me is that it seems acceptable to educate the Officer Corps (honours and masters degrees) but only train Soldiers and retrospectively pin some kind of qualification to it. R Signals delivered MSc (Offrs), BEng and BSc courses. Now nothing is accredited, we can't use "will gain industry standard qualifications" in our recruiting material, yet we're trying to get extremely IT literate recruits? Times have changed but we've gone backwards 18 years.

What confuses me is that it seems acceptable to educate the Officer Corps (honours and masters degrees) but only train Soldiers and retrospectively pin some kind of qualification to it. R Signals delivered MSc (Offrs), BEng and BSc courses. Now nothing is accredited, we can't use "will gain industry standard qualifications" in our recruiting material, yet we're trying to get extremely IT literate recruits? Times have changed but we've gone backwards 18 years.

I've said that issue is being addressed.

Discuss ^~
That's a bollocks recruiting meme from people trying to find an excuse as to why we can't recruit. I didn't know what the Signals did when I joined, it was just high up in the BARB list.
Also, people don't join the Signals, they want to do Cyber, which Corps is the best for that?

I await the sensation of shear astonishment at the volume of recruits appearing at the top of Black Lane.

It's always been the same drama. I'm well out of it now but it was the same in the early 1990s.

Royal Global Media Corps?

21st Century Comms?
Who knows?

But I am certain, cyber or digital would be far more relevant than Signals. After all, when the glorious Corps let you go, you didn’t retain Telegraph in your title. Indeed, the RE themselves ditched the name Sappers & Miners as part of its own evolvement.

It’s not a panacea that will resolve the recruiting ills, but every little helps and nothing should be off the table, for anyone.

That's a bollocks recruiting meme from people trying to find an excuse as to why we can't recruit. I didn't know what the Signals did when I joined, it was just high up in the BARB list.
Also, people don't join the Signals, they want to do Cyber, which Corps is the best for that?
Sigs and Int and the MI branches.

Who knows?

But I am certain, cyber or digital would be far more relevant than Signals. After all, when the glorious Corps let you go, you didn’t retain Telegraph in your title. Indeed, the RE themselves ditched the name Sappers & Miners as part of its own evolvement.

It’s not a panacea that will resolve the recruiting ills, but every little helps and nothing should be off the table, for anyone.

Not me. I was Infantry.

Latest Threads