Army recruits just 10% of officers needed for 2018-2019

Hi guys,

I recently came across an article on forces.net which really depicts a bleak picture in terms of recruitment for the army.
As the title states the The Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff, Sir Mark Poffley, said that in the three months to August, the Army had recruited just 10% of the officer recruits and 7% of the other ranks it needed for 2018-19. I am applying to become an officer and I guess this should be good news as one might argue that it may be easier to "get in" though I do feel that it is a bit worrying.
Would any anyone know why recruitment is so low and is becoming an army officer a "good career choice"?
Thanks

Capita 'Failing To Bring In Army Recruits'

Hi guys,

I recently came across an article on forces.net which really depicts a bleak picture in terms of recruitment for the army.
As the title states the The Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff, Sir Mark Poffley, said that in the three months to August, the Army had recruited just 10% of the officer recruits and 7% of the other ranks it needed for 2018-19. I am applying to become an officer and I guess this should be good news as one might argue that it may be easier to "get in" though I do feel that it is a bit worrying.
Would any anyone know why recruitment is so low and is becoming an army officer a "good career choice"?
Thanks

Capita 'Failing To Bring In Army Recruits'
Will our replies be in print, online or both ?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The latest intake to RMAS was slightly over-subscribed such that over-spill accommodation was required. That was in Sept, so this may explain the headline for Aug.

I'll add to that a 3 month snapshot over the summer holiday period is hardly going to be representative.

Last edited:
The latest intake to RMAS was slightly over-subscribed such that over-spill accommodation was required. That was in Sept, so this may explain the headline for Aug.

I'll add to that a 3 month snapshot over the summer holiday period is hardly going to be representative.
Hey thanks for the reply,

Well that is fair enough, though year on year it seems to be that the army is not filling the quotas that they set for themselves. I have a pal who applied to Sandhurst was short on the A levels mark of 180 by 10 but he was in uni and he is waiting to hear back on if he can get an educational waiver, though he is BAME and the nephew of the current Vice Chief of defence forces of Kenya.... Is getting to Sandhurst "easier" now especially if you're BAME? Seen a lot about that on the army's website

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hey thanks for the reply,

Well that is fair enough, though year on year it seems to be that the army is not filling the quotas that they set for themselves. I have a pal who applied to Sandhurst was short on the A levels mark of 180 by 10 but he was in uni and he is waiting to hear back on if he can get an educational waiver, though he is BAME and the nephew of the current Vice Chief of defence forces of Kenya.... Is getting to Sandhurst "easier" now especially if you're BAME? Seen a lot about that on the army's website lol

I don't think it is easier, BAME or not. Sandhurst is currently in the position of finding extra bed-spaces.

Raider, seeing as you're quite obviously as journo ( i used that term liberally), its not exactly the army or the MOD thats at immediate fault for any manning shortfalls. Its that shower Crapita, although seeing as the MOD let them take the recruitment lark on those choppers in main building do have have some questions to answer.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Raider, seeing as you're quite obviously as journo ( i used that term liberally), its not exactly the army or the MOD thats at immediate fault for any manning shortfalls. Its that shower Crapita, although seeing as the MOD let them take the recruitment lark on those choppers in main building do have have some questions to answer.

There was a dip in officer recruiting a couple of years ago which is now recovering very well. The dip in soldier recruiting is the more worrying and is receiving a great deal of staff effort.

Not wanting to defend the indefensible, however in the words of Homer Simpson, it takes 2 to lie, one to lie, one to listen.
Normally a contractor does what the client tells them/pays them to do. i.e apply stricter medical standards, base their call centre in the middle of Salisbury plain, require the usage of a computer system that wasn't in the contract.
look at snapshot of the issues raised on the recruitment threads; how many are capita's orignal thought and how many are them trying to meet the latest missive from the bright ideas fairies?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not wanting to defend the indefensible, however in the words of Homer Simpson, it takes 2 to lie, one to lie, one to listen.
Normally a contractor does what the client tells them/pays them to do. i.e apply stricter medical standards, base their call centre in the middle of Salisbury plain, require the usage of a computer system that wasn't in the contract.
look at snapshot of the issues raised on the recruitment threads; how many are capita's orignal thought and how many are them trying to meet the latest missive from the bright ideas fairies?
It is true that at least part of the wider problem came from the Army side, as you say.

Have you got the detail on the computer system issue?

There was a dip in officer recruiting a couple of years ago which is now recovering very well. The dip in soldier recruiting is the more worrying and is receiving a great deal of staff effort.
I don't thinkI'd describe it as a great deal of staff effort. A lot of correlation, very little causation and no new money. The Royal Signals effort is woeful.

I don't thinkI'd describe it as a great deal of staff effort. A lot of correlation, very little causation and no new money. The Royal Signals effort is woeful.

Are you talking officer recruiting (for that is the subject of the thread) or soldier?

I've already said soldier recruiting is a drama. There has been a shift of 2 star direction in that regard with a view to replicate the current success in officer recruiting.
Sat in a leadership presentation last year when it was admitted that beyond "getting the offer right" they had no clue how they got the intakes back up to strength.

Sat in a leadership presentation last year when it was admitted that beyond "getting the offer right" they had no clue how they got the intakes back up to strength.

I'm merely an observer on the sidelines but I do know there's a new team in town.

I have a pal who applied to Sandhurst was short on the A levels mark of 180 by 10 but he was in uni and he is waiting to hear back on if he can get an educational waiver, though he is BAME and the nephew of the current Vice Chief of defence forces of Kenya....
I'm also in contact with the nephew of the current Vice Chief of the Kenyan Defence Forces. Did you know he's the rightful heir to the Kenyan crown jewels? If I send him $5,000 dollars, he can get them released to him, and he'll send me $100,000 dollars for my trouble.

How much did he offer you?

Latest Threads