Army Recruitment to be Outsourced

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, May 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting piece in Private Eye this week from 'Squarebasher' that Army recruiting is to be privatised. The MoD are attracting bids from Serco, Manpower and Capita.
    It says that recruitment was privatised in Scotland in 2001 and that out of every 100 who made it onto the parade square 70 then decided army life wasn't for them.
    Anyone come across this and is it a wise idea for someone who's never been in the Forces to blag someone about what it's like or doesn't it work that way. I can just imagine some pinko putting off everyone that walks through the door saying ' Oh, you don't want to join this lot they're all violent drunks and bullies' or something along those lines.
  2. Judging by some of the more recent posts, Arrse should be on the list of contenders to take over the role.
  3. Now there's an idea!!
  4. msr

msr LE

Rather than "You don't want to join that capbadge (for which you are suited), they're crap, you want to join this one (mine, which is under strength)."

5. Ah yes but at least it's a serving soldier giving you those lines. I'm glad they changed my mind from my original choice as I really didn't have a scooby about who did what even though I'd been in the ACF for 4 years previously. It was only when I got to the selection centre at Harrogate that I realised the choices that were open to me.
  6. As they're privatising training in the Armed Forces, may as well go all the way and recruit. The Army will be a shadow of its former self in less than 20 years.

I'm glad publications like Private Eye monitor this sort of thing and I wish more people read it. It's a shame it's relatively poorly covered in the mainstream news.
  7. Anyone know if 'Squarebasher' comes on here? I imagine he does.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I can't actually see the training really happening. Theres lots of talk but it will never work.
  9. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

The call centres that deal with initial enquiries are already outsourced for the Royal Navy and, I believe, the Army.
  10. Ridiculous. A potential recruit wants to be able to ask what the selection, training and life is like when he goes to a recruiter? What is a civvy going to be able to tell him when he asks what life in a battalion or on ops is like?
  11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

12. I'm sure he (she :?) does. (okay for the sake of simplicity from now on I'll use the impersonal pronoun 'he')

He may originally have picked up on 'Baron' Jim Shortt story in these pages and also his follow up piece on the same subject about Ware getting the bums-rush from the Cabinet Office :lol:

If you are reading this Squarebasher, no offence, I'm not suggesting you do all your research here! I always read your column!

Back to the matter in hand... if the wonderful 'Crapita' take over Army Recruitment expect to see some dodgey misguided mongs turning up in the near future!
  13. This is possibly the worst idea ever...

As a headhunter (in additional to TA) you'll find, depending on agency rates, for the various armed services, regiments and combat arms the recruiters will push recruits towards the units paying the most commission.

Lets say the MOD hires Serco as its agent but each service arm can negotiate its own rates, hence you could end up with a situation with the Army paying a rate of 20% (of SUT basic salary), the RN 21.5% and RAF 22%.
    Your a recruiter with a good guy who fancies joining the forces which service would you push him towards? The army at 20% commission or the RAF at 22%.

Also note that recruitment rates are calculated from basic salary. Even if the MOD had a flat rate of say 15% recruiters could make more commission due to starting salaries varying between different services and units...

Even worse is the thought of some chip-shop mong working at Hays who knowledge of the military extends to Full Metal Jacket and Ross Kemp in Afghanistan!
  14. They've already got off the Mong-mobile. :D