Army Recruitment and Popular Opinion

Generally, I gather that most scholars would consider military duties, particularly in the field, as giving exemptions from both mandatory prayer and fasting. Well, not exemption from fasting - the time would have to be made up when convenient, according to some - but certainly no rational Islamic scholar would expect a soldier in battle, or even in the field, to fast strictly. Bear in mind here that I'm no Islamic scholar, though, so probably best to consult a convenient imam or mufti for an informed opinion.

what about swearing allegiance to queen and country,do muslim soldiers in the british army have to forsake allah.
Why would you think allegiance to Queen and country entails forsaking Allah? During the Raj thousands of Muslim soldiers swore allegiance to the King/Queen Emperor/Empress and much later than that we had Muslim soldiers locally employed in Singapore and Malaysia. If they are British citizens it is their Queen to whom they swear allegiance so where is the problem? The country has freedom of religion so it should not be thought of as a clash of loyalties.

forgive me,i did not intend to upset anyone with my questions,only to be educated on such matters.i would never ask answers to a question i thought i already new what kind of person do you think i am ignorant, most certainly,ill informed absolutely,above all most i am inquisitive if nothing else,guilty as charged i posted on this forum because i wont to learn and all input is of immense importance to me.once again i apologize for any disrespect that i may have caused to the islamic faith please be assured it was not intended in that spirit. god save the queen.
The reply was given in that spirit - or as they say, 'No worries'.

D

Deleted 20555

I see the French are bringing back conscription - one month - so that the youth can experience the military culture.

Interesting link from @Colonel Blimp in another thread that the US, with 12-13% undeployable, is instituting a 'be deployable or be binned' policy.

With 18-20%, it must be past time the British Army did the same and stopped paying (and counting) people under false pretences.

300 days due in part to security, medical requirement? Was it thus in the 60s? I'm almost sure they had blokes outside recruiting offices chucking blokes in. I was navy, aged 15 in 1959, applied in May and was in in September. Course in them days they'd take anyone. :cool:

Front page of the sun today - implying less than 7.5% are getting through the system.

I can only point out that it's a rumour I heard (but then this is ARRSE), but there has apparently been a surge in applications online from EU nationals (mainly Eastern European) living in the UK. This may be related to Brexit I suppose (if true). Anyone else heard this or able to offer any insight? Also, would they be eligible to join under current nationality rules?

Preaching to the converted on ARRSE I would suspect. The demise of the High St Recruiting Office with a couple of long serving SNCO's or WO's with an Officer around to do the Attestation has without doubt led to this situation. I've no idea why the old system was discontinued, but whoever was behind it requires an arse kicking of the highest order.

Last edited:
Preaching to the converted on ARRSE I would suspect. The demise of the High St Recruiting Office with a couple of long serving SNCO's or WO's with an Officer around to do the Attestation has without doubt led to this situation. I've no idea why the old system was discontinued, but however was behind it requires an arse kicking of the highest order.
long time since I walked into the ACIO , I was skiving school and thought it would be a chance of getting away with it after my mate who was on his way to the dentist said they were going daft 'cause I was absent
The Sgt had me in the office , quick chat then out to the garage to have a chat with my old man, who was explicit that I was going in with a trade (him being a REME reserve officer) or not at all, then off to Dundee take the tests , and then into the doctor . all in about 5 hours .could this be a record I wonder?
He never got me into the Black Watch though (thanks Dad) I then left school at the end of term about three weeks later and started at the apprentices college in the September intake ... most of us were unfit by todays entry standards but that first term brought us mostly up to standard , with a few falling by the wayside majority of us went on to become , well soldiers I suppose
I hated it so much I only stayed for 24 1/2 years