Army Recruitment and Popular Opinion

An interesting take from the estimable Comrade Frank Furedi, of Spiked and LM fame: Turning the army into a Safe Space
The army has justified its campaign as a necessary response to its current recruitment crisis. It says its traditional recruitment pool of white men has diminished over the past 10 to 15 years, so it needs to reach out to wider sections of society.
That may be true but also applies to the RN and RAF, yet they don't feel the need to alter their campaigns.

It may be interesting to note that the RN and RAF create their own advertising and manage their own recruitment (although they do/will use the new recruitment IT platform), whereas the Army outsourced creation and management of advertsing campaigns to Capita as part of DRS. Compare and contrast the new Army website (Army created) which makes little or no mention of the 'belonging' campaign.

@Oxygen_Thief, I don't think it's hard touk-armed-forces-biannual-diversity-statistics-2017
n is white male, then white males are likely to make up the bulk of complaints. I'm not saying that all males are bad.

It's fairly obvious that white males make up the bulk of the British Army, but as you're not convinced...UK armed forces biannual diversity statistics: 2017 - GOV.UK

If females make up around 11% of the regular army, then around 89% are male.

@Oxygen_Thief, I don't think it's hard touk-armed-forces-biannual-diversity-statistics-2017
n is white male, then white males are likely to make up the bulk of complaints. I'm not saying that all males are bad.

It's fairly obvious that white males make up the bulk of the British Army, but as you're not convinced...UK armed forces biannual diversity statistics: 2017 - GOV.UK

If females make up around 11% of the regular army, then around 89% are male.
I got your point about complaints, and as it happens I agree with it in terms of raw numbers.

I didn't like the rest of your post though, for several reasons. Might change it to a dislike rather than an SABC on that basis ....

Until 2005 gay individuals were discriminated against in the Armed forces, imprisoned & shamefully kicked outside
I thought it was 1999/2000? It's just that I can remember giving the "It's now official, the Army doesn't care whether you're white/black/yellow/brown, gay/straight, it's all about whether you look out for one another and (if a leader) take care of your team. Pick on people, and we'll nail you to a tree" announcement to the troops as per the official date...

I thought it was 1999/2000? It's just that I can remember giving the "It's now official, the Army doesn't care whether you're white/black/yellow/brown, gay/straight, it's all about whether you look out for one another and (if a leader) take care of your team. Pick on people, and we'll nail you to a tree" announcement to the troops as per the official date...
I think the disciplinary aspect was ditched around 2000 but I remember being at an Oxford Uni Freshers Fair in 2000 with the URNU (RN OTC) and being beseiged by the Student Union LGBT mob for personally oppressing homosexuality in the Armed Forces. I felt a bit oppressed myself at the time, if I'm honest.

I definitely remember it being 1999 as it was just before I left. In common with all the other dinosaurs, I was expecting all sorts of dramas in the block when folk came out but, in the event, the young 'uns didn't give a toss and it was a total non-event.

A law which was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

,My personnel perspective on all forms of Homosexuality is that it's a ''NORMAL'' part of the human condition. Had to get that in before you brand me Homophobic.

The military ban on Gay's at the time was justified for the reason that it was a possible means of blackmail for personnel working in sensitive ares of HMF's. The RAF took a very serious view on any form of its security being compromised including drug addiction, alcoholism, political affiliations, personnel financial issues to name but a few.
As Gay rights pushed the boundary's & it became accepted as a normal part of life ( as it is, see above for confirmation) then & only then did HMF no longer see it as an threat to security.

This is the kind of issue that HMF's were concerned about.

Last edited:
I see obvious parallels with Nursing and the Police and Paramedic/Fire/Rescue Services (the role of which could be enhanced and combined into a civil defence force).
Interesting concept.

I definitely remember it being 1999 as it was just before I left. In common with all the other dinosaurs, I was expecting all sorts of dramas in the block when folk came out but, in the event, the young 'uns didn't give a toss and it was a total non-event.
or they don't care where their tosses come from...

The military ban on Gay's at the time was justified for the reason that it was a possible means of blackmail for personnel working in sensitive ares of HMF's
Note quite sure about that. Someone who is gay and working in HMFs is more likely to be blackmailed if being gay is banned and you're likely to lose your job if outed.

One of the practical reasons for the 1967 decriminalisation of homosexuality was the lessening of the chance of being blackmailed if you were gay. Guy Burgess claimed that as a gay man in the 1930s the laws of his country made him a criminal for being who he was, and therefore felt no regret whatsoever in betraying the country that denied him his sexuality.

Guy Burgess claimed that as a gay man in the 1930s the laws of his country made him a criminal for being who he was, and therefore felt no regret whatsoever in betraying the country that denied him his sexuality.
What is quite interesting is treason carried the death penalty then too. Wonder, if stood on the gallows with the benefit of hindsight, he would only have regretted his treachery if he was straight?

I see obvious parallels with Nursing and the Police and Paramedic/Fire/Rescue Services (the role of which could be enhanced and combined into a civil defence force).
Good luck getting that past the Union... Fire Brigades aren't notable for anything that involves change. For instance, ask yourself why the FBU refuses to allow fire officers to train as medics beyond the level of "first aid and a defibrillator" (basically, "demarcation"). Or why they refuse to allow the senior bloke in the vehicle, to actually drive it (it's "not in their role map", apparently).

A couple of years ago, local Fire were willing to strike over the unheard-of concept (obviously unsafe, couldn't possibly work, risk to the community) of a combined operations room. Apparently, you have to have trained FBU members manning phones in a separate local ops room, because protects jobs for the boys it's safer.

Unfortunately for the Union, when running Green Goddess (but a combined ops room) the Army were apparently beating the response times for Glasgow Fire Brigade... (yes, these are the ones who let a woman die of hypothermia in a hole because the senior officer present decided it wasn't safe for her to use the same harness they'd just used to lift down the firemen - then sat there for six hours, refusing to change his decision).

Last edited:
Good luck getting that past the Union... Fire Brigades aren't notable for anything that involves change. For instance, ask yourself why the FBU refuses to allow fire officers to train as medics beyond the level of "first aid and a defibrillator" (basically, "demarcation"). Or why they refuse to allow the senior bloke in the vehicle, to actually drive it (it's "not in their role map", apparently).

A couple of years ago, local Fire were willing to strike over the unheard-of concept (obviously unsafe, couldn't possibly work, risk to the community) of a combined operations room. Apparently, you have to have trained FBU members manning phones in a separate local ops room, because protects jobs for the boys it's safer.

Unfortunately for the Union, when running Green Goddess (but a combined ops room) the Army were apparently beating the response times for Glasgow Fire Brigade... (yes, these are the ones who let a woman die of hypothermia in a hole because the senior officer present decided it wasn't safe for her to use the same harness they'd just used to lift down the firemen - then sat there for six hours, refusing to change his decision).
They haven't made their minds up yet about responding to Marauding Terrorist Attacks until pay and conditions are agreed either
MTFA response - offer of contracts by fire and rescue services - a reminder | Fire Brigades Union

The laws regarding homosexuality also applied to the merchant navy so I suspect there was more to it than simply being blackmailed. It was still a criminal offence for two gay crew members to have sex on board a UK flagged ship until 2000 (or 2015 if it was an Isle of Man flagged ship) although not illegal if between a crew member and a passenger. It was also possibly to be sacked simply for being gay in the merchant up until 2016.

They haven't made their minds up yet about responding to Marauding Terrorist Attacks until pay and conditions are agreed either
MTFA response - offer of contracts by fire and rescue services - a reminder | Fire Brigades Union
Simples. De-unionise the emergency services. :). In France, through a historical anomaly, the fire brigades in Paris and Marseille are Army and Navy units respectively.

What is quite interesting is treason carried the death penalty then too. Wonder, if stood on the gallows with the benefit of hindsight, he would only have regretted his treachery if he was straight?
I think his point was that had he been straight, he probably wouldn't have spied for the other side. He would have felt a loyalty to his country that the vast majority of the population feel.