Army recruitment ad - my thoughts

The current ads are often full of inaccuracies and could be done far better, I'll strongly agree. However what they are doing is (supposedly) gradually changing the perception amongst ethnic groups that it's a white man's sport.

In short, we need to be targeting minorities in order for the future BAME generations to grow up in a culture where the army is considered to be a viable career. That's before you consider the second order benefits of having more soldiers with greater cultural and language understanding.

So I'll agree that the ads themselves are dire, but the message of inclusivity does need to be promoted.

Most BAME people dont believe its a white mans sports, only BAME spastics think that and that the ones the army seems to pander to.

BAME recruits are just as likely to be put off by stories on FYB as white people. Fuck all to do with them thinking its a neo nazi fest.

There are very few benefits of "greater cultural and language understanding". If they have been brought up British they are likely to speak English and have mostly British culture..

The message of inclusivity is utter bullshit, plenty of BAME dont like each other. Its just yet another excuse why recruiting and retention is so shit.

Last edited:
Are you referencing anything in your response there stacker, or are you just using crude language to cover your lack of useful input?

Your first paragraph: I'm not entirely sure what your point is but the fact remains, fewer BAME join the Army than white guys, even taking into account proportionality.

Your second paragraph: That goes without saying and has nothing to do with my post.

Third paragraph: Completely unfounded with no evidence whatsoever. Consider getting out more.

Fourth paragraph: yes, many BAME don't like each other. But you don't make a coherent point there. Are you suggesting the Army doesn't actually have a culture of inclusivity? Or are you suggesting the videos themselves are bad? Please elaborate.

The videos don't show inclusivity, they show people being treated different because they are different.
The Chinese video shows more inclusivity. The thinkers behind these British ads have got it wrong.
They are also being untruthful.

Are you referencing anything in your response there stacker, or are you just using crude language to cover your lack of useful input?

Your first paragraph: I'm not entirely sure what your point is but the fact remains, fewer BAME join the Army than white guys, even taking into account proportionality.

Your second paragraph: That goes without saying and has nothing to do with my post.

Third paragraph: Completely unfounded with no evidence whatsoever. Consider getting out more.

Fourth paragraph: yes, many BAME don't like each other. But you don't make a coherent point there. Are you suggesting the Army doesn't actually have a culture of inclusivity? Or are you suggesting the videos themselves are bad? Please elaborate.
Paragraph One
Currently at 12.7% for ORs.
Armed forces workforce

Paragraph Two
Its got everything to do with it, the vast, vast majority of BAME people are more likely to be put off joining the army due to whatever trivial bollocks the lads are currently suffering from than any perceived racism.

Paragraph Three
Far from completely unfounded with no evidence whatsoever, I'm a supplier in the RLC we have one of the most "diverse" number of personnel in the army, they mostly provide absolutely fuck all in the way of "greater cultural and language understanding". Do you know the culture of Anglesey? Or the north of Scotland? Probably not, so what makes you think BAME people will be any different?

Paragraph Four
What ever culture of inclusivity that the army had, has fucked off a while ago, go to a mainstream RLC unit and your see the Nepalese, Fijian, Ghanaian, Caribbean (without Jamaicans), Jamaicans in their own little groups, Ive said before when watching the boxing you'll see foreign personnel cheering for their own countrymen rather than people in their own Squadron.

In short, we have stopped appealing to decent lads who may be BAME and starting appealing to the arseholes who want to feel a little bit special.
Do you see adverts letting Christians stop for prayers? No you don't, but the army wheels out a brown skinned Muslim showing just that. Despite the fact it would be highly impractical for either religion to do so, but instead of aiming for Christians/Muslims who arent that religious (Ie Funerals, wedding, baptisms) to join the army, we go for Muslims who now think that a patrol is going to stop for their religious needs.

Last edited:
I really, really, really can’t wait until January. You ain’t seen nothing yet ^~

The outrage bus depots will be emptied and there will be huge tsunamis created by the earthquakes that have been created by the synchronised rustling of the daily comics. There is going to be a nuclear winter created by the simultaneous exploding heads. The collective rage will creat it’s own weather system.

It’s going to be FAB :)

I really, really, really can’t wait until January. You ain’t seen nothing yet ^~

The outrage bus depots will be emptied and there will be huge tsunamis created by the earthquakes that have been created by the synchronised rustling of the daily comics. There is going to be a nuclear winter created by the simultaneous exploding heads. The collective rage will creat it’s own weather system.

Do go on.

I think Army recruiting advertisements ought to be designed to attract people who want to fight for their country.

But that's no good nowadays. Because nobody any longer knows what their country actually is.

Whats happening in January?

The point is that you can't have ads which ask people to join up and serve their country, when nobody knows what their country is anymore.

You could say that, but not remotely in that way ^~

Unfortunately, I am unable to say anything more at the moment :)

Capita are going to let 'everyone' in on the grounds of inclusivity?
It’s not Capitas choice to make, the Army (MOD) set the policy and entry standards. Capita implement them.

The advertising Campaign also has to be signed off by CGS and in the case of the current one, the SofS.

Something worth remembering when they sit back and let Capita take all the flak :)

Perhaps the advertising campaigns should be approved by regular soldiers, before any adverts get onto the TV.
After all the adverts are meant to get regular soldiers to join. They aren't meant to appeal to the top brass, are they?