Army recruitment ad - my thoughts

D

Deleted 20555

Perhaps a pointer or two from this lot on how to get people to join...

My offering for the next round of ads would be

Open on Salisbury Plain in the early morning. Caption - Salisbury Plain, Dawn.

It's all quiet, the dawn chorus is chirping away. Bunny rabbits frolic and bees buzz.

155mm HE starts bursting all across the fields. The camera cuts away to squaddies chucking shells into an AS-90. Back at the field a couple of Warrior slam the brakes on. Sections dismount and start putting down a bit of A for Ave Some while a pair of Apaches fly over head firing rockets. A troop of Chally 2 pull up and fire of a couple of HE. Cut to a black section commander (there's your diversity) shouting 'fix bayonets', close on the sections charging past the camera to stab people in the face for the Queen. Screen fades to black, a Union Jack flutters on screen with 'Army, Be The Best. Salary starts at £17,000pa' under it.

Sit back and prepare to start issuing out shitty sticks to recruitment offices for the purposes of beating off potential recruits.

Or we could keep on pretending that Asians and Muslims are just gagging to join the Army and wondering why we're so undermanned.

morsk

LE
They can afford to be all fuzzy at the moment with recruiting - there are no wars to fight any more. Watch that all change if and when we are threatened....

. Salary starts at £17,000pa' under it.

£18489 when they finish training

Or we could keep on pretending that Asians and Muslims are just gagging to join the Army and wondering why we're so undermanned.

The current recruiting ploy is to tell them they can effectively have 30 days mincing around with no duties, exercises and PT, because senior officers are to spineless to do anything about it.

From a reservist point of view;
A group of young people are gathered round in the kitchen area, in an office, in the morning.
"How did your weekend go" one asks.
As the camera pans around the group, each looking rough and tired, you see a series of flashbacks of boring DIY jobs, a night out going progessively wrong with Sunday being sick etc. The camera pan ends on one guy, who looks tired but is smiling.
His flashback covers what he did across the weekend with the reserves - taking weapons out of the armoury, checking kit, being taught stuff in the field, patrols filmed in night vision, GPMG's being set up in SF role, ending with flares being set off as an attack begins on a village.
Cuts back to the smiling guy. "Yeah, good. Really really good"
I prefer to bore co workers with tales of morbidly obese birds, prostitutes and drunken bedwetting, but each to their own.

Open on Salisbury Plain in the early morning. Caption - Salisbury Plain, Dawn.

It's all quiet, the dawn chorus is chirping away. Bunny rabbits frolic and bees buzz.

155mm HE starts bursting all across the fields. The camera cuts away to squaddies chucking shells into an AS-90. Back at the field a couple of Warrior slam the brakes on. Sections dismount and start putting down a bit of A for Ave Some while a pair of Apaches fly over head firing rockets. A troop of Chally 2 pull up and fire of a couple of HE. Cut to a black section commander (there's your diversity) shouting 'fix bayonets', close on the sections charging past the camera to stab people in the face for the Queen. Screen fades to black, a Union Jack flutters on screen with 'Army, Be The Best. Salary starts at £17,000pa' under it.

Sit back and prepare to start issuing out shitty sticks to recruitment offices for the purposes of beating off potential recruits.

The fundamental issue with that is, you have now used the British Army budget for the next 5 years, we would have to give WFM at least 2 years to get the kit out of Ashchurch and the manpower for that little lot would have to be borrowed from the Latvian Army.

Other than that, good plan :)

not_observed

Old-Salt
The fundamental issue with that is, you have now used the British Army budget for the next 5 years, we would have to give WFM at least 2 years to get the kit out of Ashchurch and the manpower for that little lot would have to be borrowed from the Latvian Army.

Other than that, good plan :)

Absolutely spot on.

I know of an MBT unit that may or may not be based in Tidworth that have recently took on a fleet of up armoured CR2 from Ashchurch. To say they are in a diabolical state would be putting it modestly.

Absolutely spot on.

I know of an MBT unit that may or may not be based in Tidworth that have recently took on a fleet of up armoured CR2 from Ashchurch. To say they are in a diabolical state would be putting it modestly.
Put crap in, get crap out. The fault lies with either direction from Andover or Ashchurch's receipt into CHE procedure. If I had to guess, based on my experience at TFSU(G) it would be both.

Edited to add

Again, breakout procedures in TFSU(G) run by 1 Div took next to no time and revealed very few problems.

Torgunner

Clanker
I feel it is a step in the right direction. It shows the British Army as a place for people from all walks of life to be included and feel accepted.

I feel it is a step in the right direction. It shows the British Army as a place for people from all walks of life to be included and feel accepted.

A step in the right direction would be showing people from all walks of life joining up and being treated the same, thereby promoting inclusivity and acceptance. Like wot the Legion does.

Except even serving Muslims are saying its complete bollocks.

The way the Chinese do it:
Looks like they are preparing their people for conflict.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
I appreciate that you gents feel quite strongly about recruitment and in particular the concept of "pandering to the minorities", but I'm going to counter the idea that we don't need to target certain groups.

A few weeks ago I read a paper and a few other documents about recruiting and the race question. Forgive me if my figures aren't quite right (I'm in my pants on the sofa) but I'll try to summarise:

Army currently recruits about 6% of it's numbers from BAME. Due to projected future demographic change, 30% of the recruitable pool of young men will be BAME by 2035. Put simply, we need to appeal to these guys if we want to be able to recruit en masse in the future. Ie not just 70000 troops. As it

The current ads are often full of inaccuracies and could be done far better, I'll strongly agree. However what they are doing is (supposedly) gradually changing the perception amongst ethnic groups that it's a white man's sport.

In short, we need to be targeting minorities in order for the future BAME generations to grow up in a culture where the army is considered to be a viable career. That's before you consider the second order benefits of having more soldiers with greater cultural and language understanding.

So I'll agree that the ads themselves are dire, but the message of inclusivity does need to be promoted.

Latest Threads