Army recruiting age to rise from 26 to 33 ?????

Just heard on the news that the MOD are raising the recruiting to join the ARMY to 33.
So this means that solidiers could be fighting on the front line as old as 55. (the music from dads army plays in my head at this point) :roll: :roll:
6500 soldiers left the ARMY in 2006, very worrying!!!!
:idea: :idea: So maybe the best idea would be to BRING BACK NATIONAL SERVICE especially for those little Neds/Chavs that walk around the streets wearing baseball caps causing trouble. :x :x

but then you run the risk of having a lot of people you have to rely on who don't want to be there.

As long as the fitness standards are applied, and you still meet them, why should the army lose all that valuble experience and maturity which should be of great benifit to everybody concerned!

If the SPAMs have the age limit at 41 and the Aussies at 55 for combat roles. Then I think the upper age limit of 33 is still a bit conservative especially in these days.

Lots of blokes I know could pass a BFT and a CFT and they are in their 40s. Personally I think that should be benchmark, whatever your age if you pass the annual BFT and CFT you stay in, if you don't you are out.

And scrap the age limit! Then you will be retaining soldiers on some kind of combat effectivness and getting rid of all the mongs!

theflyinghandbag said:
The Versatile Engagement is going to deal with quite a bit of the above points regarding "older soldiers"
I don't think it will. Not in the short term anyway.

If a SNCO/WO is still taking shit after 22 years in the army - then they will just walk.

"Good" you may say, or "let them bugger off if they can't hack it" - but think on the reasons as to why VEng was introduced in the first place. Hopefully the system will rely on the integrity and professionalism of these soldiers without need for any recourse.

The bottom line is, the army needs experienced soldiers for VEng employment - much more than the "older soldier" needs to stay in the army.

Who cares how old the soldier is, if he can pass the fitness tests.

As for national service, I personally don't want to be relying on some un-motivated chav to lay down supporting fire for me.

RFUK said:
As for national service, I personally don't want to be relying on some un-motivated chav to lay down supporting fire for me.
Yes, but they're welcome to stag on with a Green Goddess, and put out all those fires their Pikey mates started!

Besides, it's suprising how quickly people can become motivated when surrounded by a bunch of itinerant jinglies who make their own 'crew' from Pikesville look like the Golden Girls.

I think some of the posters on 'Have Your Say' on the BBC website might squeel a little.......especially the ones who enjoy pointing out its our choice to join!!!

wei55y said:
Just heard on the news that the MOD are raising the recruiting to join the ARMY to 33.
So this means that solidiers could be fighting on the front line as old as 55. (the music from dads army plays in my head at this point) :roll: :roll:
:idea: :idea: So maybe the best idea would be to BRING BACK NATIONAL SERVICE especially for those little Neds/Chavs that walk around the streets wearing baseball caps causing trouble. :x :x
Already done, nearly a month ago.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=53005.html

As for National Service............b0ll0cks, it's enough putting up with the chav scum we've got already, never mind opening the floodgates to the rest of the cnuts.

If national service comes it could help the communitys but the army wouldnt accpect mindless chavs coming in thinking they are Henno then next thing they think they can shoot a gun without holding it in the right place. On the other hand maybe it will put a bit of common sense into there minds give them a bit of self disipline.

Romeo_47 said:
If national service comes it could help the communitys but the army wouldnt accpect mindless chavs coming in thinking they are Henno then next thing they think they can shoot a gun without holding it in the right place. On the other hand maybe it will put a bit of common sense into there minds give them a bit of self disipline.
Brilliantly argued.

Sammy The Cat said:
Romeo_47 said:
Brilliantly argued.
True facts, I've always argued it with people.

Active_Edge_841 said:
wei55y said:

As for National Service............b0ll0cks, it's enough putting up with the chav scum we've got already, never mind opening the floodgates to the rest of the cnuts.
Sorry mate, I must take issue with this.
What Chav scum
Those servingin Afghan, Iraq, Bos, NI, FI, or the less well-publicised locations?
Or those backfilling on rear party duties?
Please enlighten me!

Damn, too sodding old, again!

If they raised the age just a leeeetle bit more, I'd be happy to give it another shot (scuse pun).

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, and having worked my nuts off in civvy street, would like the opportunity to have another bash, though perhaps the STABS, 'cos I like making money too.

M

Mr_Logic

wei55y said:
The Army don't want national service. It was stopped for good reason and we have had an all volunteer Army for over 40 years. The problems you allude to are society's problem. Society should sort them out. The Army is not supposed to be a dumping ground to sort out the dross when parents and social workers have failed.

CAARPS said:
Active_Edge_841 said:
wei55y said:

Sorry mate, I must take issue with this.
What Chav scum
Those servingin Afghan, Iraq, Bos, NI, FI, or the less well-publicised locations?
Or those backfilling on rear party duties?
Please enlighten me!
I am quite shocked by your reply. Why bring the subject of personnel deployed on Ops into the equation?

My comments were aimed at the amount of chav types we already have to endure; thankfully though, it is in the minority, if National Service was brought back, this would no longer be the case.

Don’t tell me that whilst serving in today’s Army you haven’t come across an element of bone idle, bling wearing biffs with no respect for authority? If you haven’t, I’d be quite surprised.

I am fully aware that today’s Army is a mirror image of the society that we live in. I for one would not like to see the most professional army in the world ruined by National Service. We are good at what we do because we all volunteered to do it in the first place.

National Service might have worked after WW2, that was then, I personally do not think it would work as well now.

In short I want someone backing my corner who joined the Army because he wanted to, not someone who was dragged in kicking & screaming.

National service was (after WW2) just a way to keep spivs off the street rather than in borstal or prison as far as I am concerned, not that it did them any harm (or society).

In todays' volunteer army, we certainly do not need w@nkers that don't want to be there.

Let's get back to he age limit, which has nothing to do with spivs or national service - good thing or bad thing? I personally think it is excellent!

The army has been dropping the standard of the fitness requirement for some time due to trainer-wearing knobbers, but that is not an issue as far as age is concerned.

If you hit 33 and are fit enough (don't die of a heart attack in basic), then why not have those people. They would bring a lot of life experiences with them, and I'm sure could fight as well as anyone out there (just as well as 33 to 40 year old lifers already in and serving).

It's probably going to end up like the veterans badge, they're going to extend the eligibility for joining up by 10 years every so often once they've cleared the backlog!

Latest Threads