Army recruit dies after training

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by johnboyzzz, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

A 20-year-old has died after collapsing during an Army recruitment course in Edinburgh.

Sean Bindokas, from Doncaster, died on Thursday, nine days after becoming ill just after a compulsory run at Glencorse Army Barracks.

An Army spokesman extended condolences to the young man's family at this "difficult time".

Lothian and Borders Police are holding an investigation into Mr Bindokas' death.

The Army spokesman said: "I can confirm that a potential recruit attending selection at the Army development and selection centre at Glencorse Scotland died on 24 September having been taking ill at Glencorse on 15 September.

"Our thoughts are with Mr Bindokas' family at this difficult time."
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Sad as this story doubtless is, it's fair to say that all army recruits will, at some point, die after training. Whether their training is linked with their death is another matter entirely.
  3. Very fair point
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's a very sensitive thing to say in a CA thread about the death of a recruit in training. Why don't you take it to the NAAFI so we can have a good laugh?
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

After my basic/pass off everyone went off on leave as normal. When we got back we were told one of our lads had dropped dead during his leave aged 19.
    We could not believe someone with a serious health issue could have gone through basic without a problem, only to die watching telly a week later.
    It is unfortunately a fact that some people are given a very short straw, one of those things that should make the rest of realise we are luckier than some......
  6. One of my intake in Junior Leaders dropped dead of a massive heart attack whilst marching. He was 17. Up until then he'd been as fit and well as any other (back then) teenager.
  7. Had a recruit drop dead on day one when I was Sgt at Gib Bks. All he had done was collect his bedding and collapsed carrying it up the stairs. Inquest found it to be a brain haemorrhage. Another lad died on a BFT on day one of phase two having passed out as an apprentice ... think that was a heart attack.

An army medical will not reveal all underlying conditions that might cause a problem. Sad that the lad died but inevitable that every now and again ths will happen.
  8. Fellas, This lad was on his selection at ADSC (G), He started the run well but then fell back and on the second lap actually started walking. He was seen by the conducting staff to be unsteady on his feet and was taken to the MRS where they called 999. He was admitted to hospital where he died 4-5 days later. They do not nknow the cause and will not be sure until after the autopsy!!!