Army reading age

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blade-Runner, Jul 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Almost 40% of army recruits have reading age of 11, MPs warn

No mention that these 16/17 year olds can go to the Army Foundation College. The army have had a number of under achievers from school who turn out to be cracking soldiers such as the well known Andy McNab. In m view, where schools have failed them, the army have taken them on and moulded them into something better. Sounds like a leftie report to me. So they'd prefer someone to drop out of school at 16.... with no prospects if they can't join in another 2 years which allows time for them to get mixed into drugs and the wrong crowd?

• Like Like x 6
  2. What they do not say is, this is actually above the national average.
    The race to mediocrity has not been allowed to bypass British Education.

• Like Like x 3
  3. And in other shocking news the sun came up this morning :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  4. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Good point - I wonder what the ratings are for other occupations that do not need further education before you start work.

5. Once again, they should concentrate on the cause not the effect. If so many kids are leaving school with a reading age of 11, shouldn't they concentrate on why?

• Like Like x 12
  6. As we currently recruit soldiers from 16 - 33 yo, having almost 40% of your structure drawn from only 11% of your demographic, does seem a little unbalanced. Perhaps it's a hang-over from earlier times when, the upper age for recruitment was 26? Although, as current Ops draw to a close and troop numbers dwindle, I wouldn't be surprised if the upper limit wasn't re-assessed, soon.

7. Don't forget Arrse has a direct channel to the Chair of the Defence Select Committee...

8. CountryGal

One reason has to be that books are so bloody expensive that it's hard to justify buying a book if you are tight on money as opposed to spending those pennies on other things.

Very few of my sons class (hes7) even have a library account to borrow free books, and in Hampshire last summer the Sumer holiday reading challenge of just 6 books over 6 weeks for all under 12s was only completed by 17% apparently ( source the Hampshire educational coordinator I spoke to at the library last week, whose been tasked to get this number up to 25% this year)

Electronic books appeal from a cost point of view but you have to have the reader/iPad initially so again comes down to cost. As opposed to putting kids in front of a tv for a few hours that's basically free!

When Julia Donaldson ( the creator of the gruffalo) did summer sessions in Winchester last year they were over subscribed threefold - so the right books will grab younger readers - this just needs to be taken into young teens books. At the moment looking at the young teen section of books it's all popular cult fiction like vampires and zombies - if you're leaning towards the fantasy sci if genre then that's good but if something else takes your fancy you have a smaller choice.

9. Horrible Histories :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sorry CG, but that's about the most feeble set of excuses possible.

1. None of my grandchildren (& children) has ever been short of books from school, especially in the early years. Life seemed to be one long round of listening to them read.

2. Children without library cards. Why? Probably because parents can point the finger of blame rather than make an effort to help their own children.

3. Hampshire Summer Reading Challenge, only a 17% take up. Again, could this be parents not trying hard enough?

4. There are sufficient "good" books available to satisfy the needs of youngsters. It just needs parents interested enough to introduce them to reading for pleasure. (A lot of my early reading was comics. Not great literature, but it was the printed word.)

• Like Like x 10
  11. CountryGal

How many young families today do you know that sit around after dinner an read with their kids rather than all sit down and eat tv dinners together?

Yes it is pitiful but in my experience d young families very common

12. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

And who has presided over a system that for years has allowed our children to underachieve. Could it be MP's?

Michael Gove is the first minister for years to challenge the orthodoxy that the UK has one of the best education systems in the world. At long last someone is bringing rigor back into it.

It's also ironic that the BBC (with its lefty bias) never really questioned the grade inflation that went on under the last Labour government. Grades got better and better, while pupil's educational achievements got worse and worse.

So the above headline seems to be the pot calling the kettle black.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 4

13. I agree wholeheartedly. We have masses of books in our house (3 large bookshelves with one dedicated to the kids books) and find that charity shops are often a great place to stock up on children's books. Given most of the 'classic' children's books are now 20+ years old there is always a ready supply in there at rock bottom prices.
    My (recently turned) 7 year old son can read very well indeed. In fact, we find that he takes books to bed to read on his own now at bedtime, and he fully engrosses himself in video game guides for his Wii games that we buy (Mario Galaxy etc.). He can also read aloud from books at a level that has me raising my eyebrows and smiling. The reading side is not just about schools, but lazy parents must shoulder a lot of the blame too.

• Like Like x 7
  14. You can also pick good quality books up for under a pound in the plethora of Charity shops on the high street, so a pretty poor excuse all round. However, this is not a new thing, the army has taken low academic achievers since well before I did my EPC and well before, well before that. You don’t need several A* to be an infanteer. You do need lots of qualities but reading the complete works of Shakespeare is not one :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Books at home = children will read.

• Like Like x 8