Army rangers question.

Discussion in 'US' started by the_beer_man, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Curiosity question really.

Watched a program on discovery the other night called "making the cut". It's a trip around the US' elite regiments showing what it takes to get in. This one was army rangers. They mentioned that at week 5/6 I think, the candidates go on a final ex to the Alabama swamps and are dropped in.

Am I to understand that all ranger candidates are airborne (winged up in my language) before they attend or is it something they teach at ranger school?

Thanks, tbm.
  2. From the US Army website, it seems "winged up" first.

3. l also watched this, did my eyes deceive me but i could have sworn at the graduation ceromony there looked like there was a brit soldier at the back with a green lid on, really looked like british dpm did anyone else see that or can confirm it was.
  4. Yeah. Saw either 2 Brits or the same one twice. Probably on an exchange. I believe the rangers have links with the second world war commandos
  5. You are confusing the 75th Infantry regiment (Ranger) with Ranger school. The former is an airborne infantry regiment consisting of three battalions that is our premier initial entry force tasked with things like airfield siezure and taking high priority objectives. The latter is a TRADOC leadership development school. The 75th requires being airborne qualified, the school does not. Plenty of "leg" Ranger school graduates are out there in the ranks. Far as the school curriculum goes, the only differance between attending as one or the other is that the non airborne personnel conduct an air assault on the occasions when their winged peers get to jump.
  6. I don't know who you are addressing, but I suspect it is me, and you almost certainly have a better personal knowledge than me. However, if you are correct, the author of the "Ranger School" page on the official "" site is an idiot. Having known enough mil 'crats, I'm entirely happy to accept that you are right and they are wrong ...
  7. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

From what I gather the programme the other night was in effect an all arms course much like AAPPS AND AACC.
  8. Bah... that bit you referenced was probably written by some DoD civilian whose whole occupation is producing hooah sounding nonsense for potential recruits. Can understand the confusion now as the author seems to be coalescing two separate things in the description.

Ranger school is misnamed to be honest as it's not really a "school" in the traditional sense. Perspective candidate need to have their stuff down cold before they ever set foot on Ft. Benning. Aside from being introduced to a few new techniques here or there, standard US Army doctrine ala FM 7-8 is what is used for the course. A better name would be Ranger "Challenge" to be honest. It is a finishing school of sorts for NCOs and junior officers.

Basic premise is you are required to successfully complete two "patrols" in a leadership position under the worst possible conditions. These patrols can be anything from a route reconnaisance to a raid... you and your troops are exhausted from food and sleep deprivation as well as intense physical activity. Getting a "go" on one's graded patrol means properly planning and task organising as well as giving a complete OPORD, being dead on with your navigation, successfull persecution of the assigned task, and not having any of your men doze off or otherwise compromise themselves. If your lucky you get your graded patrols early on in the course... when everyone is sharp and still worried about passing themselves. Come swamp phase at the end most of the class has already gotten their "go" and is only concerned with staying awake... the cadre tend to place more experienced students in the hot seat at that point. Far as who is eligable to attend, one must be an E-5 (exception being E-4's from the 75th) or above in a leadership position. Used to only be open for combat arms personnel with priority given to infantry... that has changed in recent years although the standards have stayed the same. Prior to attending the school, most units run an in house pre Ranger course to assure the soldiers know their stuff and won't be dropped for lack of technical or tactical knowledge.

Completing Ranger school isn't neccesary to be a good leader of course but it does help come promotion time. I've known a few guys that seemed to get a stick up their fourth point of contact after earning their tab... martinets of the worst sort we used to call "tab protectors" but for the most part, soldiers who complete the course come out of it with a very good understanding of where their limitations are and how to motivate troops through confidence.

Hope this explanation helps :)
  9. Having read this thread, I went off to skim through the subject on the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia. Whilst reading the page on US Army Rangers (United States Army Rangers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), I noticed a line in the paragraph dealing with Rangers in the Vietnam War where it says: "With one notable WWII exception, since 1816, U.S. Army regiments have not included a Juliet or "J" company"

Why is this the case and what was the exception?
  10. Are you Ranger Ready?

DVD copied by Ann Galloway. Department of Defense. Department of the Army. Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. U.S. Army Audiovisual Center. (ca. 1974 - 05/15/1984). For this issue of THE BIG PICTURE our camera crews have journeyed into the mountains of North Georgia and the swamps of Florida in order to bring the story of the U.S. Army Rangers to the television screens of America. The Rangers are a proud corps of elite combat-ready troops who undergo the most rugged training in the Army. The first Ranger unit dates back almost 200 years ago when the original thirteen colonies were under British rule. They served with General Washington's Colonial troops and they were active in Europe and the Pacific during World War II. When the Communist aggressors struck in Korea, the call for the Rangers sounded again. This BIG PICTURE episode concentrates on their training as it is practiced today.

Big Picture: Ranger Ready : National Archives and Records Administration : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
  11. In the style of writing used back then "I" and "J" were indistinguishable from one another so rather than have any confusion, the "J" was skipped over. The exception was a MACV-SOG element during the Vietnam war.
  12. Also, "Juliet" is simply seen as too effeminate a name for an infantry company.