• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Army PT kit.

Why dont the army design a PT kit that the lads (an lassses) will be proud of wearing, instead of something that looks like its out of the 1950's.
I'm sure they could do a good deal with a branded company with the buying power they must have.
(No i'm not a GTI) :sentemail:

Ronhils and regimental t shirt not good enough for you ?lol.
Is anyone outside of recruits made to wear it ?
Its not really a big army and regimental /corp id is more important to most soldiers than an army brand imho. And its just pt not a parade no one cares what you look like long as your not last .

NINJA69 said:
Why dont the army design a PT kit that the lads (an lassses) will be proud of wearing, instead of something that looks like its out of the 1950's.
I'm sure they could do a good deal with a branded company with the buying power they must have.
(No i'm not a GTI) :sentemail:
FFS. It's for PT, not a fashion parade.

Oracle, please dont use pictures of me without asking first.
No people outside the recruiting system dont need to wear it, so its a waste of money and will go in the attick with all the other junk they have issued in the past.
Give new recruits decent gear that works and looks good and save them some money.
PTI'S can get the latest trainers designed by the Army so where are they for the average tom.

NINJA69 said:
Oracle, please dont use pictures of me without asking first.
No people outside the recruiting system dont need to wear it, so its a waste of money and will go in the attick with all the other junk they have issued in the past.
Give new recruits decent gear that works and looks good and save them some money.
PTI'S can get the latest trainers designed by the Army so where are they for the average tom.
You may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head there. Issue PT kit - unlikely to be worn outside of mil PT at Phase 1 trg and therefore sits in the attic for 20+ years (29 in my case). Cost to HMG - peanuts.

Gucci civilian (albeit issued) PT kit - will be worn on every possible occasion and renewed a multitude of times. Cost to HMG - lots of bags of peanuts.

PS. That's my picture.

And we end up like the septics who seem to only allow their soldiers to were uniform uniform or uniform PT kit.

Why bother there's no need and soldiers are always going to have to buy their own civi running kit anyway because they won't be allowed to wear issue kit when running on their own because of Persec issues.

Hopkins said:
soldiers are always going to have to buy their own civi running kit anyway because they won't be allowed to wear issue kit when running on their own because of Persec issues.
Because wearing silver shadows gives away your whole identity?

msr

Everyone should run in DAPS!

Well aside from issuing proper running shoes what's the problem with baggy navy blue shorts and a v-necked red T-shirt?
I can see a case for issuing a long sleeved "vest" and a pair of Ron Hills but that's it.

We used to do most PT in red v-neck vest, Trousers Lightweight and boots CH.

A corps/unit t-shirt is up to the individual soldier. Nobody's going to complain about someone running in an issue vest.

We should get an annual trainers expense, that way people could choose the quality of trainer they buy. Issued ronhills are the way forward. As are issued regimental T shirts, which people are made to purchase - wrong.

There are some valid points, its just that i seen a couple of new lads get there issue kit the other day and they looked like nobs and thought the pt kit was a waste of money as it would end up in the attick.
A least its one up from a string vest and plimsoles and two up from doing it in no trainers and in your underpants.
I dont think wearing army trainers would pose a security risk as you dont hear of many fishermen being killed for mistaken identity due to wearing a combat jacket.
Dont get me wrong the kit IS good enough to get joe public on the ladder if he is poor and has no kit and its good enough for basic training as its uniform for all personnel.
So what if you get people exchanging their trainers every 6 months, as long as they are putting them to good use and keeping fit.
Mine are like museum exhibits, in the museum of crap kit in my attic with my light weights and wooly jumper.
But with problems of retention throughout the Army any improvements are a bonus. (I know people wont stay because they get issued a pair of Rons Hills for the old guys or a hoody for the boys in the Crib).
The powers that be can't talk about money as it would only take imagination and good business sence to procure the right kit.
I bet like everything else the Army buys over the counter the pt kit is over priced for the quality.

Don't know about anyone else here but when I signed up It was one pt shirt red, one pt shirt white - I was like white wtf!

They still issue the brilliant wearable daz challenge?

Talk about impracticle. OK lads, heres a hill, get muddy, oh, I've just seen a brook, off you go swim... But its only 3 inches deep... I said swim!

tank_6275 said:
american army get issued nike green pt kit i believe! why not something similar for us?
I belive not - the Army wear Grey/Black and it certainly isn't Nike branded, the USMC green. Also IIRC authough they get an initial issue they have to maintain it themselves (they get some form of allowance).

The_Duke

LE
We are talking about the same army where everyone gets issued boots, combat jackets etc and then runs out and spends their hard earned cash to get the "ally SAS" version of the same, aren't we?

The PT kit will be exactly the same - more money spent on a product that is better than what we have but it will still be "Addidas" cheap copy, and people will still go out and buy their own.

Basic kit is fine for basic training - people can continue to wear it afterwards if they are watching their money, or go out and buy their own.

I have never seen problems with people buying regt/unit T shirts for wear down the NAAFI/pub/gobbing off in, so why the problem wearing them for phys?

I reckon the main shortfall with army pt kit is silver shadows; will fcuk you right up if you actually run in them on the road for any sort of distance. RMAS now make a private purchase of decent road running shoes compulsory for new entrants i believe in order to avoid injury.
Having said that, silver shadows are in their element in the gym or circuit training, as well as walking the dog, doing the gardening or putting out the bins.
There's 'owt wrong with a baggy and over-long green/maroon/red/blue/white/grey t shirt and blue shorts. Why would anyone want to 'bling' themselves up like a christmas tree before steeplechasing, press ups in the mud and sweating like a rapist in a playpen? Ron hills are, i concede, a wise idea to make running in cold weather seem like a more inviting prospect, although Im sure the MoD would argue that the issue long johns would be fit for purpose here :D

Am I the only person in the world that hasn't been issued a PT kit?

I have the silver shadows (still in their box in the bottom of my wardrobe), but nothing else. Now if the army expected me to do PT they would issue me a sports bra! Those things are expensive!

In fact, I don't remember anyone ever wearing issued PT kit, not even when I took the recruits recently?

birduk said:
Am I the only person in the world that hasn't been issued a PT kit?

I have the silver shadows (still in their box in the bottom of my wardrobe), but nothing else. Now if the army expected me to do PT they would issue me a sports bra! Those things are expensive!

In fact, I don't remember anyone ever wearing issued PT kit, not even when I took the recruits recently?
I was issued a pair of silver shadows, no shorts or specific PT t-shirts. I wore the runners walking home from the TAC once, now they're sitting in a shared locker taking up space. (I'm still waiting for my issue sports bra)

I really don't know what everyone's moaning about. As somebody else said, do you really care what you look like when you're being beasted?

The only PT kit I have been issued with in 12 years is a white v necked t-shirt that is to big for me (and i am a fat b'stard and always have been) i can get my entire body through the neck hole i have never been issued trainers or shorts
I did one course where the joining instructions said issue PT kit only so it was all i took with me so i turned up for PT in boots CS95 strides and this mahossive gopping white top the gym queen took one look at me and went "feck off to tescos and get some shorts and trainers" me stuck my hand out and went "you paying for them then" at which point i am sure he had a stroke as he made a lot of odd noises and pointed alot so i fecked of home and got me rugby shorts and running trainers and a decent sweat shirt and he still wasn't happy

Latest Threads