Army plans for super garrison

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Styron, Dec 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Army plans for 'super garrison'
    BBC News
    30 November 2005

[​IMG]
    Col Millen said the plans would benefit local residents and soldiers

Details of £1bn expansion plans for the British Army's largest base at
    Catterick have been unveiled.

The base is one of the Ministry of Defence's highest priorities to become
    a so-called 'super garrison'.

Proposals include 2,500 new houses, leisure facilities, retail outlets and up
    to five new barrack blocks.

The development will see the North Yorkshire garrison's total population grow
    from 18,500 to 25,000 over the next 15 to 20 years.

As part of the changes, soldiers will also be stationed at Catterick for longer,
    to give them and their families more stability and enhance their quality of life.

'Seamless garrison'

Work has already begun on new accommodation blocks for single soldiers and
    construction of a £15m leisure centre is due to start in 2006.

Commander of Catterick Garrison Col Nick Millen said the project was about
    developing retail and leisure opportunities for the wider community as well as
    providing barracks for the soldiers.

"This isn't going to happen overnight," he said. "Of course we must consult with
    the public and of course we will consult with them but consultation does not
    necessarily mean agreement.

"I think it would be naive to pretend that every aspect of this is going to be
    regarded by every person who lives here as a step forward and a bonus.

"I hope that the end result is a seamless garrison that meets service needs
    and those of the wider community."

2. I think Colonel Millen has a glittering career awaiting him in Defence P2FI when he retires. He seems damn good at what he does.

3. What's a 'seamless garrison'? Why does that fellow look like he's holding in a particularly explosive cloud of gas? I do hope this gets moved to the NAAFI...

4. Stationed in Catterick for longer, 8O bloody hell!!! Two weeks annual deployment was long enough! - (Too long!)

CC_TA

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I wonder how long it will be before it becomes MoD's highest priority to become a so-called 'only garrison'?

6. Oi CC you cheeky monkey
    I seen you alright for brew and biccies while you were in Catterick!

7. Eggs ... basket .... springs to mind.

Super Garrision? 8O bloody stupid idea if you ask me. Extended tours in Cattrick... ffs think what that'l do for retention.... I missed a posting there by the skin of me teeth back in the 90's was pissed for a week celebrating when it got cancelled... got attached to a medic unit instead :lol: :lol: :lol: bloody typical of records c*nts.

Point is, those recreation facilities are needed now for the current garrision! not in the future and as part of a supa c*ck up..... the place is a right dump now and people are having to live there.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Super Garrison - hhhhhmmmmmmm

Was that not what Aldershot was at the turn of the last century? So the idea is to move the 'home of the army' north. Next thing will be to sell off Salisbury Plain in total.

9. Yes indeed, you did do a crackin brew, as per usual! But unfortunately you're posting to an even darker grid ref. meant I had to find yet another new place to "Work!" 8O

CC_TA

ps; I'm on my way to the horrid grid ref. on 9th Dec for a stab weekend - PRE that kettle mi amigo! (Or maybe some proper brews this time - Leave pass???) :D

10. One tactical or terrorist Nuke & 20% of the Army is out of it............

A smart move - not.

11. But just think of those super-dooper dance-halls you'll get when the Crabs pull out of Leeming.
    Plus 5-star singlie accomodation, and maybe RyanAir will make use of the runways, call it North Yorks International, start cheap flights to places like Malaga, Basra etc.

Look on the bright side, will ya, FFS 8)

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Don't give Grasping Gordon even more moronic ideas !

13. We have to watch out for the bigger picture here. Really this is all part of the government's drive to build more houses: if the army shrinks (which it undoubtedly will) - you've got a ready made council estate in the middle of nowhere to keep Mr and Mrs ASBO and their revolting children. I doubt the residents of Richmond would be too happy about this announcement.

Or are we pulling out of Germany?

14. Will there be a "bring back scabs" campaign?

15. It wouldn't be anything to do with ....filthy lucre would it?

They close (for example) Carver Barracks in Essex, sell it for twelvty million quid to a developer looking for a prime bit of real estate within easy access to the M11/Stanstead Airport and London and expand Catterick, in the back end of nowhere, for three 250g packets of Planter's Honey Roasted Peanuts.

Cha ching ...£££££££ going into coffers.