Army phrases that became civvie ones

A new variation on the whole 9 yards theory.
Nautical chum of mine reckons it's to do with sailing ships.
The big sail had 9 yards of material
I reckon there's a sight more than 9 yards of material in the mainsail of a ship of the line. It's over 60 feet from the water to the top of the mainmast on HMS Victory.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't shit in the saracen?
I used that phrase just today, nobody had a fkin clue what I was on about and got security to remove me from the building! Fkin civvies!

I used that phrase just today, nobody had a fkin clue what I was on about and got security to remove me from the building! Fkin civvies!
To subtle for them?
Petula Clark's unsuccessful follow up single after "Don't Sleep In The Subway", according to Brain Matthew.

I have my doubts, but I was very young back then, and I'm not much of a music buff.
That genuinely made me laugh out loud, deserves more than one funny.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bolshi, The term comes from the 1917 Russian Revolution by the Bolsheviks which spread to the German army after defeat in 1918 when they formed 'Soldiers councils' and to a very small extent to the British army in France awaiting a long drawn out demob.

Spit and polish.
The art of hawking a half eaten Mars Bar and coke over your best boots and rubbing it in for a shine.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Was in work today and heard someone say
"What's the flash to bang on that?"

No mil service, no pyrotechnics background. Said he'd heard it somewhere and liked it.

Also realised how much of a cunt it makes you sound. To think I used to say it in all seriousness.

The shame.

In the olden days Nelson and those types chased down and manoeuvred round the opposition in an effort to unleash a broadside.
Giving it the whole 9 yards was unleashing the big sale into the wind to pick up some speed.
Nah, apparently this was from some syndicated newspaper way, way back.
Some bloke gave his wife enough material to make three shirts. Later he complained that she only made one shirt but used the whole nine yards.
See, once you know it's actually quite boring...

[sourced from Radio 4 Haggard Hawks, Word of Mouth - BBC Radio 4 ]

Last edited:
During my basic training Cpl T**h C***** came out with the classic "What the f*****g f**k are you f*****g f****s f******g doing?"
Sadly it hasn't caught on in civi street, or anywhere else for that matter

During my basic training Cpl T**h C***** came out with the classic "What the f*****g f**k are you f*****g f****s f******g doing?"
Perhaps not out loud. I've often found myself thinking that at work when dealing with management though.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In the olden days Nelson and those types chased down and manoeuvred round the opposition in an effort to unleash a broadside.
Giving it the whole 9 yards was unleashing the big sale into the wind to pick up some speed.
Got to be bollocks.
That can't be the size of a warship's sail, seen ouens stagger out of Cheeks with women who had more material covering their saggy arses.

Nah, apparently this was from some syndicated newspaper way, way back.
Some bloke gave his wife enough material to make three shirts. Later he complained that she only made one shirt but used the whole nine yards.
See, once you know it's actually quite boring...

[sourced from Radio 4 Haggard Hawks, Word of Mouth - BBC Radio 4 ]
Same program I think, one's I heard lately
Two Armies have more horses than tanks...
One country women are not allowed to vote.
Feel free to guess without using Google

Got to be bollocks.
That can't be the size of a warship's sail, seen ouens stagger out of Cheeks with women who had more material covering their saggy arses.
Stately as a galleon...you could run up a set of sails from that lot...

with apologies to Joyce Grenfell....

During my basic training Cpl T**h C***** came out with the classic "What the f*****g f**k are you f*****g f****s f******g doing?"no
First job after leaving, two days in. Bloke was a bit cheeky to me. I pinched his cheek and said you are a cheeky cunt..... Boss not happy

I hear SUS this, SUS that from all sorts.
But what do they know of, Signals Underwater Sound?
At one time, SUS stood for Soldier(s) Under Sentence. But I doubt it's still used that way, as modern soldiers don't go to gaol.

Cheers,
Dan.