Army Pets and Mascots

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bossdog, Nov 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just saw a thread referring to a terrier at a PB in Northern Ireland. Just wondered how many adopted animals there have been whilst on various tours???

I know of three....

Sipovo, Bosnia 2004: TA medic adopts puppy "Meca" and brings it home to the UK, costing thousands.

Middletown PSNI , Co.Armagh: "Tripod", a three-legged terrier. Lives in the PB now and cared for by the troops. Used to go out on patrol.

Rosslea PSNI, Co.Fermanagh: A german shepherd which I believe savaged a padre's dog?

2. One of the Jock units in the GW1 had a dog that went by the name NIAAD on account of it dropping dead if we got a chemical attack. As far as I know it was brought back by them.

3. 4 Regt Army Air Corps had a small dog called 'Switch'

It was adopted by 659 squadron and practically lived between the SQMS truck and the CVRT CPs...

I think it was either shot or eaten prior to our return to BAOR :D

4. Belize 89-90, 24 Sqn RCT had a dog that was lovingly called Cnut chops, he only answered to this name. On a Monday morning Sqn parade, due to the arrival of a new OC he was proudly stood alongside the troops.

New OC: "ahh, whats the dog called Cpl Floppyjocky ?
    Me: "Cnut chops" Sir
    OC: "Thats hardly appropriate is it, can we call him sprocket ?
    Me: "Yes Sir, you can call him sprocket, c'mon cnut chops lets go get some rats!"