Army Pensions

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by taichi, Mar 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am an ex-serving member of the armed forces I wonder if anyone can help me please. I want to add my army pension to my works pension, does anyone know how to go about this.
  2. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    Yep I know exactly how to do it. And any IFA worth their salt can do it. Its a fairly straight forward exercise of comparing the 2 schemes and the benefits within each and coming to a decision as to whether its better to leave it where it is or move it. Basically you get one of three answers YES, NO or Maybe! The Maybe is where it becomes complicated and also subjective. Word of warning just to prepare you: expect to pay a hefty fee for the report if you take advice. I wouldnt look at a Transfer of benefits case for less than £500.

    The problem your faced with is that neither the Armed Forces Scheme nor your new occupational scheme will give you advice. So you either do it yourself and hope you dont get it wrong, or you pay a professional to advise you and if they get it wrong you sue. Thats why we have PI cover.
  3. Hey, if you are now a civil servant, go for it. If not, think very carefully indeed. All those private companies out there are run for the shareholders, not the employees/pensioners. If they can steal your pension, they will.
  4. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    Even if you are a civil servant dont just dive in without at least getting hold of both scheme brochures and reading the terms and conditions. If you get stuck ask questions, Forces Sweetheart Knows her stuff and just a guess but I think she has access to close brothers which is the largest advisors to the Armed Forces.
  5. Thanks for the advice guys. £500 ? where do you park your merc.