Army pensions. Reclaiming overpaid monies.

A letter from Crawley army pensions office informs me that they have overpaid my army pension. and that the monthly amount will now be reduced. They do not confirm by how much, or for how long. As I have been receiving my pension for the last 11 years, this could be a substantial amount. My over-payment does not have to be repaid.

I quote from the letter:- The armed forces pension scheme (AFPS) along with many other pension schemes, recently took part in an exercise with her Majesty's revenue and customs, This exercise was undertaken to review and match pension data between AFPS and HMRC and is referred to as "Reconciliation" :???:

The letter goes on in the same vein, corporate waffle and boll0cks. The upshot is they are grabbing back under the legal umbrella of state money pinching economics.

All part and parcel of a growing panic as they suddenly realise that a year or more of handing out money like it was going out of fashion has left the treasury potless, and who better to steal it from than pensioners. Easy targets, under the guise of "mistaken payments" If so than its the states mistake, not us. It stinks of a massive cover up by some civil servant in Whitehall.:pissedoff:

Conspiracy theory No 94....... MODS if this is in the wrong thread, please move it.

A letter from Crawley army pensions office informs me that they have overpaid my army pension. and that the monthly amount will now be reduced. They do not confirm by how much, or for how long. As I have been receiving my pension for the last 11 years, this could be a substantial amount. My over-payment does not have to be repaid.

I quote from the letter:- The armed forces pension scheme (AFPS) along with many other pension schemes, recently took part in an exercise with her Majesty's revenue and customs, This exercise was undertaken to review and match pension data between AFPS and HMRC and is referred to as "Reconciliation" :???:

The letter goes on in the same vein, corporate waffle and boll0cks. The upshot is they are grabbing back under the legal umbrella of state money pinching economics.

All part and parcel of a growing panic as they suddenly realise that a year or more of handing out money like it was going out of fashion has left the treasury potless, and who better to steal it from than pensioners. Easy targets, under the guise of "mistaken payments" If so than its the states mistake, not us. It stinks of a massive cover up by some civil servant in Whitehall.:pissedoff:

Conspiracy theory No 94....... MODS if this is in the wrong thread, please move it.

Blimey, I bet that's set a few sphincters twitching.

'The upshot is they are grabbing back under the legal umbrella of state money pinching economics. . . '

Errm, no: a reconciliation is simply that - an exercise to see what was paid out and was that figure correct.

Much like when you were serving: if you were overpaid, that amount was owed by you and would subsequently be claimed back.

Do you believe that you are deserving of free money?

Are you sure it’s gen?

Ask @Forces Pension Society for advice

Write back and dispute this, demand the calculations and why this might have happened

Or it could be that they've been overpaying you...
If so, than its their mistake, something i have no control over, its not as if i could ring them up and say, " Look chaps, by my calculations its too much, please amend the amount" What they do not tell me is the amount overpaid, or how much my monthly payments will decrease, and for how long.

endure

GCM
If so, than its their mistake, something i have no control over, its not as if i could ring them up and say, " Look chaps, by my calculations its too much, please amend the amount" What they do not tell me is the amount overpaid, or how much my monthly payments will decrease, and for how long.
They're letting you keep the overpayments aren't they? They could ask for that money back.

Why not give them a call/write to them and ask how much the reduction is? If they're reducing your pension payments to what they should be the reduction will probably be permanent.

I would argue that they should be able to tell you this and why the overpayment occurred in the first place.

I do, the letter has all the correct headings, phone numbers and text, compared against similar correspondence.

NB. reading through it states" there is no appeal against a legislative Requirement".
Who is the letter actually from?

Are you working? If so, have you ensured that “Crawley Army pensions office” has the correct tax code for your pension?

If your employer and pension provider are both applying L tax codes to your pay / pension then you are claiming your personal tax free allowance twice, once against your pension and your once against your pay. It’s your responsibility to make sure that employers have the right tax code.

You wouldn’t be the first former soldier to find 10+ years after leaving that they have been mis-claiming their tax allowance. The fact that this has arisen from a AFPS / HMRC reconciliation suggests that to be the case.

1. Overpayment does not have to be repaid.

2. Pension paid for the last 11 years.

Did you commute and received the same amount for the last 11 years ?

I suspect that your initial pension was wrongly calculated ( for some reason ) the error has come to light and your pension has now been changed to the amount it should have been.

Unless they made a massive error, the difference should not be a massive amount as they are not reclaiming the over - payment.

The other alternative is that they were massively overpaying you, you knew it and kept schtum, which might decrease your pension by a substantial amount.

B42T

LE
'The upshot is they are grabbing back under the legal umbrella of state money pinching economics. . . '

Errm, no: a reconciliation is simply that - an exercise to see what was paid out and was that figure correct.

Much like when you were serving: if you were overpaid, that amount was owed by you and would subsequently be claimed back.

Do you believe that you are deserving of free money?

Yes :-D

Are you working? If so, have you ensured that “Crawley Army pensions office” has the correct tax code for your pension?

If your employer and pension provider are both applying L tax codes to your pay / pension then you are claiming your personal tax free allowance twice, once against your pension and your once against your pay. It’s your responsibility to make sure that employers have the right tax code.

You wouldn’t be the first former soldier to find 10+ years after leaving that they have been mis-claiming their tax allowance. The fact that this has arisen from a AFPS / HMRC reconciliation suggests that to be the case.
Sensible logic but if HMRC believed you had been double claiming you tax allowance I would think they would try and reclaim at least 6 years worth.

The other alternative is that they were massively overpaying you, you knew it and kept schtum, which might decrease your pension by a substantial amount.
I had no idea what the monthly payments were going to be, they never told me, only that i would get a tax free one off lump sum payment, equivalent to 3 years total.

Last edited:
"Managing Public money Para A 4.11.4; Sometimes overpayments are made using specific legal powers but making mistakes of fact or law, These are legally recoverable ..........recovery should always be pursued irrespective of the circumstances in which they arose ...........unjust enrichment................blah blah blah. "

£7644 they took back of me, 6 years later! Your fucked!!!!