army pension

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by marts, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i got married after leaving the army . is my soon to be ex wife intitled to my pension ? as i have received a letter from her solicitor asking for my pension details.
    MR

2. Are there kids involved? If not I wouldn't have thought so, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

3. I don't believe she is entitled to any part of your pension, now if she had been your wife whilst you were serving then yes and then only a percentage depending on how many years you were together whilst serving.

4. IIRC, everything is up for grabs regardless when you earned it.

Whether or not she will be awarded is another issue but its up for grabs.

5. two kids that im paying maintenance for. i married three days after leaving army. only getting half pension anyway.

6. A masterly summary! I am no expert on this area, but there is no doubt that pension entitlements of either or both parties are taken into account. The logic is that one spouse may have a much higher pension entitlement, and the other one would have had a reasonable expectation of in sharing in the general family benefit of that pension and perhaps eventually a widow's/widower's pension from that fund. As Scabster_Mooch hints, this doesnt necessarily mean the pension will simply be divided 50-50 between the parties; the pension and any house are often treated differently in the divorce settlement.

This from a firm of solicitors: The treatment of pensions in divorce proceedings in England. There are many similar pages on the internet.

'marts' - your own solicitor will of course advise on your particular circumstances but I hope this gives the general idea. Good luck!

7. I thought everything could be over turned by the GESTAPO / CSA anyhow if there are kids involved.