ARMY PENSION?

Hi

I'm totally new to this and I am about to ask what I feel will be viewed as a really stupid question, however, as they say, everything is easy as long as you know. I recently found I was entitled to an army pension, I served just over 12 years reckonable service and was told by a mate to enquire which I did. I would be appreciative if someone would tell me how long your pension is paid monthly, (should you choose that option), is this paid to you over the course of one year and then that's the end of it or is it paid to you more or less than that. I did ask Kentigern House but only received a forecast of entitlement, either people there don't seem to know the answer or are simply unwilling to tell me.

Once again, guys, I apologise for what some of you may no doubt see as a very stupid question but I simply don't understand the whole pension thing and am not very good at getting my head around financial 'stuff' I just want my pension paid in a lump sum and mothly, (for however long that might be), I'm not looking to commute or transfer or anything else.

If you only served for 12 years, you aren't entitled to an immediate pension. You should have got a resettlement grant though.

I presume you are talking about AFPS 75 - if it's the older one, I'm not sure what to advise!

Are you of pension age now? If so, speak to the Vetrans gateway - they should be able to advise: 0808 802 1212.

If neither, then wait until you are 60 (for AFPS 75) and contact them.

Hi

I'm totally new to this and I am about to ask what I feel will be viewed as a really stupid question, however, as they say, everything is easy as long as you know. I recently found I was entitled to an army pension, I served just over 12 years reckonable service and was told by a mate to enquire which I did. I would be appreciative if someone would tell me how long your pension is paid monthly, (should you choose that option), is this paid to you over the course of one year and then that's the end of it or is it paid to you more or less than that. I did ask Kentigern House but only received a forecast of entitlement, either people there don't seem to know the answer or are simply unwilling to tell me.

Once again, guys, I apologise for what some of you may no doubt see as a very stupid question but I simply don't understand the whole pension thing and am not very good at getting my head around financial 'stuff' I just want my pension paid in a lump sum and mothly, (for however long that might be), I'm not looking to commute or transfer or anything else.
@Forces Pension Society may be able to help.

You should receive a lump sum of three times the annual pension (say it’s a £3K pension, you’ll get a lump-sum of £9K) and then the annual pension, paid monthly, until you peg out. You must apply for the pension, it’s not automatic, and you can do so within three months of your 60th birthday.

Tuffty

War Hero
Just remember once you have your Mil Pension and its over X amount then you cant claim Job Seekers or Credit Blx, it pays to server your country

cymraeg

War Hero
Had an ex raf work colleague who served 12 years and was in receipt of a half pension (his words) from the off. It wasnt much but paid monthly after his cervix

roninxix

War Hero
Just remember once you have your Mil Pension and its over X amount then you cant claim Job Seekers or Credit Blx, it pays to server your country
Yep, suffered that. As soon as you mention that you’re in receipt of a mil pension any help disappears.

Yep, suffered that. As soon as you mention that you’re in receipt of a mil pension any help disappears.
Which is the same for anybody receiving a pension or other form of income.
If you meet the criteria for Job seekers / Universal credit and have income / savings below the thresholds then you can claim job seekers / universal credit

Had an ex raf work colleague who served 12 years and was in receipt of a half pension (his words) from the off. It wasnt much but paid monthly after his cervix
I can't see how he got that. As others have mentioned, if he only did 12 years he wouldn't start collecting a prreserved pension until he was 60. It was the same with any service under 22 years. I transfered my preserved pension to the police pension which amounted to nine and a half years service towards the 30 year police pension, which was very nice.

Last edited:
You should receive a lump sum of three times the annual pension (say it’s a £3K pension, you’ll get a lump-sum of £9K) and then the annual pension, paid monthly, until you peg out. You must apply for the pension, it’s not automatic, and you can do so within three months of your 60th birthday.
Hi Roadster

Thank you and thank you to all who replied, I had an email about 20 mins ago from a mate who is in receipt of pension, he was a little ahead of me in age and service but basically told me what you did, I make an application and receive a lump sum x3 plus monthly pension till it's time to Reorg, thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

I can't see how he got that. As others have mentioned, if he only did 12 years he wouldn't start collecting a preserved pension until he was 60. It was the same with any service under 22 years. I transfered my perserved pension to the police pension which amounted to nine and a half years service towards the 30 year police pension, which was very nice.
How much of it were you able to transfer across?

If you haven't done your full 22 do you actually get a lump sum when you get to claim the pension at the age of 60 or is it just the monthly payments?

If you haven't done your full 22 do you actually get a lump sum when you get to claim the pension at the age of 60 or is it just the monthly payments?
Yes, as Roadster stated, I had 14 1/2 years pensionable service from 70 to 84 which, spookily enough was a 9k lump sum and 3k per year pension paid monthly after my 60th birthday.

ETA The monthly pension was @ £330 a month after tax, which has risen to around £350 odd in the last 7 years.

The lump sum was tax free.

Last edited:

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
I can't see how he got that. As others have mentioned, if he only did 12 years he wouldn't start collecting a prreserved pension until he was 60. It was the same with any service under 22 years. I transfered my preserved pension to the police pension which amounted to nine and a half years service towards the 30 year police pension, which was very nice.
If he left under Options for Change his half pension would be paid immediately. The pension would then not increase until he reaches the age of 55 when it will jump up to the current half pension rate. This is what happened to me.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
Because we don't deserve it.
I had one job offer that was less than the advertised wage. I asked why. As you have a good army pension you won't need the full wage....

roninxix

War Hero
Because we don't deserve it.
I had one job offer that was less than the advertised wage. I asked why. As you have a good army pension you won't need the full wage....
Ooof, now that is just wrong on all levels.

Latest Threads