Army pension paid to expats

I live in China and was receiving my pension here, then the payments stopped so I contacted them and they said the payments were still being made as usual, I told them which months were missing and the said they would cancel the missing payments and issue a single payment to cover the amount outstanding.

Well that did not work, so I gave them a new address but this did not work and then I gave them another address, this did not work also. Soon I will move to Chongqing in Sichuan province and will have to write to them again with yet another address but worry the same thing will happen. I am now missing 12 months payments, so it is getting a tad annoying.

Chongqing does have a British Consulate, is it possible to have my cheques sent via the consulate? And are any of you expats having problems like this?

Dread

LE
Your payment may be going through several intermediary banks before it reaches yours. Each bank can easily hold on to it for 11 days...

...or if they want to be bloody-minded they can reject the money if it doesn't have a AML deck for you (anti-money laundering).

Why not have all your pension payments made into a bank in the Isle of Man and then withdraw it in China using a Visa debit card or MasterCard? Alternatively ensure that your bank is a major bank (China has several) with direct connections via the SWIFT system to UK banks.

Your payment may be going through several intermediary banks before it reaches yours. Each bank can easily hold on to it for 11 days...

...or if they want to be bloody-minded they can reject the money if it doesn't have a AML deck for you (anti-money laundering).

Why not have all your pension payments made into a bank in the Isle of Man and then withdraw it in China using a Visa debit card or MasterCard? Alternatively ensure that your bank is a major bank (China has several) with direct connections via the SWIFT system to UK banks.

Thanks for the prompt reply, they will not pay me on the Bank in China, I have discussed this with them at length. They send the cheque by post and the address has to be in English, problem is most Chinese postal workers do not read English too well.

I tried to open a bank account in Hong Kong but the will not give me an account because I do not live there.

Dread

LE
I would urge you to get in touch with a bank that deals with expats in the Isle of Man: the MOD should pay your pension into this directly, so no need for cheques to go missing in the post.

Bonus of this: you don't get lost payments or have any forex losses until you move the money to China (or wherever), which will be at a time of your choosing.

If you have enough income in China (I'm guessing you are working there and not just wandering around stealing rice from the natives) then use the account in the IoM to buy your flight tickets and provide spending money when back in Europe. Most of the large UK banks are represented in the IoM and can give you accounts in EUR, USD and GBP.

I would urge you to get in touch with a bank that deals with expats in the Isle of Man: the MOD should pay your pension into this directly, so no need for cheques to go missing in the post.

Bonus of this: you don't get lost payments or have any forex losses until you move the money to China (or wherever), which will be at a time of your choosing.

If you have enough income in China (I'm guessing you are working there and not just wandering around stealing rice from the natives) then use the account in the IoM to buy your flight tickets and provide spending money when back in Europe. Most of the large UK banks are represented in the IoM and can give you accounts in EUR, USD and GBP.

I live in China and have a Chinese wife, I have not set foot on UK soil in 20 years and do not wish to do so. Is it possible to open a bank account in the IOM via email?

Edit to add; I do not work as such, I am a partner in a business and my wife also has a very good job so I am not desperate for the pension payments but it is one of those annoying things when the system does not work.

I do not have time to fly to the UK, my days are full all the time, in the morning I fly to Beijing and connect with a flight for inner mongolia, fly back on sunday to more work on monday and a flight to Shenzen on tuesday.

Last edited:

Dread

LE
It used to be able to: I opened my account there with Lloyds via post (downloaded the application) a few years ago. Never had any problems since.

Now Hungary. When I opened the account I was in Serbia.

I see, still in Europe which helps I would imagine. The problem here is I do have an account with Bank of China and it does have a swift number and the account is for GBP and CNY, I clear the cheques in GBP and then convert to CNY when the exchange rate is good.

But if the Pension agency cannot pay into that account, then the question would be can a bank in the IOM pay into that account? The message I am getting from the pensions people is unclear as to why they cannot do a bank transfer to China.

How's about an HSBC account in Jersey? HSBC do trade worldwide and the Jersey branch does thrive on expats.

How's about an HSBC account in Jersey? HSBC do trade worldwide and the Jersey branch does thrive on expats.

HSBC is a dirty word in Beijing just now. They did have branches in China but wanted to see a work permit, and a residency permit and the inside of my toilet to open an account, sorry I do not trust the thieving barstuards. Beijing kicked them out after the money laundering scandal.

You see it is a game of politics here also. Frustrating yes but thanks for the suggestion.

Latest Threads