Army Pension Department - Pensions on Divorce

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by General Melchett, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. General Melchett

    General Melchett LE Moderator

    Trying to find a direct dial number for the Pensions on Divorce office but all the "helpful" JPA person gave me was the JPA helpful person number which wasn't actually helpful and all the telephone operator can give me is the JPA now helpless person telephone number.

    I've written, as advised by the JPA person, to the POD Dept but have now been waiting 6 weeks.

    Can anyone help?
  2. GM it took about 6 weeks for mine to come through apparently the have a huge backlog. When I get back to house later I will dig out what they sent to me and get back to you :D
  3. Just to confirm this was the address you used?

    POD MP 480
    APC Glasgow
    Kentigern House
    G2 8EX
  4. General Melchett

    General Melchett LE Moderator

    Cheers ewan200.

    Yes, that's the address I used as the helpful JPA person advised.

    Backlog? The divorce rate is that high?

    That either should start alarm bells ringing - "Why are our brave troops getting divorced?" or employ more people to clear the backlog. Oh, that CLM course wasn't wasted after all, management stuff is easy.
  5. Well apart from what I said on my PM, they are averaging 1000 requests per month. Would love to know what percentage of those are coming close to there 22 yr point. :D
  6. Or the civil servants in that department so idle, perhaps? Isn't it just a computer generated print out of your Capital Equivalent Transfer Value and other standard facts and figures?
  7. You could always try:

    0800 169 2277
  8. I believe the calculation is, how many years you were married, to how many years you served. IE. 10 years married, 22 served, she would be allowed 10/22ths of your pension.

    Also you are allowed to claim of her pension as well.

    Thank god none of my 3 ex wifes(I love marzipan) are interested in claiming.

  9. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the ex wife doesn't actually get cash in the bank - she has whatever portion she is allocated invested into a penson fund to be received when she retires at 60 - as a pension.

    Edited to add:
  10. General Melchett

    General Melchett LE Moderator

    Cheers for the help chaps but I need the actual figures written out on official paper by the pensions department for the "courts". Only they can supply it.

    3 months and waiting so far for a response from them.
  11. GM, I went through this last year unfortunately. IIRC, I rang up Glasgow (sorry cant remember the number) and they sent me a letter with an approximate cash value of my pension. I did 12 years service. However, the courts and the witches solicitors accepted that letter even though it was a basic breakdown of what I was going to get.

    On a negative side, the letter stated that if I wanted a complete and FULL breakdown then I would have to pay £400 !!!!! Obviously the answer to that was get stuffed !

    Im now on the search for a way to either release or transfer my army pension so I can use it as a house deposit. Saves that one eyed bastard Brown and his cronies from having it and wasting it...
  12. I did a FOI request recently to SPVA wondering why it cost so much to get my CETV - I worked out that they make a tidy profit from us divorcing soldiers

    I did find them quite quick in responses though
  13. £150 + VAT
  14. Once you get that figure you then divide by 2 as you are entitled to a little bit yourself!!

    Buy her out - it is the best option - a cash settlement paid from your lump sum on discharge. You get to keep your pension then.
  15. Thank f I got my divorce just before the law changed and even though he lawyers tried, the judge said that since the pension wasn't tangible, it couldn't be claimed then. I suppose she could always go back to court. But then I could claim on her pension as well.