Army Parachuting

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by airborne_ad, Mar 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys. new here so sorry if this has been posted before. I have heard a rumour that they are stopping all army parachuting as of 2007. Is this true or is is just gonna be the TA. If so, what will happen to the para regt and the like.

2. They have more or less stopped it know as there are NO aircraft to take people up. I have been told, that civi aircraft have been hired to take people up on military jumps!

3. All parachuting? Military Parachuting? Sport Parachuting? Service Parachute Centres?

4. I believe, that there are no "spare" C130s as they are all on ops!

Sport parachuting is still an adventure sport / training.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Military parachuting is still carrying on, just a shortage of aircraft for basic training courses. 2 TA courses this year instead of the usual 4 or 5.

6. No chance of asking a NATO country for assistance? or would that just be cringingly embarrassing for us?

7. That's BS. I jumped last week, 9 Sqn jumped yesterday and there are quite a few sorties on this month. Just because there is less on than normal doesn't mean it isn't happening. The only civvi aircraft that is in service, the Skyvan, goes out of service in a week. This isn't some sort of stop gap service, the Skyvan has been used by the RAF for years and is going to be sorely missed.

8. By the way, is this some sort of wind up, or are you a very naive army cadet?

9. edited in the cold light of day

10. The amount of jumps we did in 5 Airborne Brigade compared to 16AA Brigade does show that parachuting has declined considerably. Hey, i'm not complaining! As long as i get my Para pay i couldn't care less TBH. I've had more then my fair share of injuries due to incompetent PJI's who can't control port and starboard exit timing.

11. nope, weekend warrior. we just been getting a lot a news coming down the grapevine that they gonna stop TA jumping so when I asked my TC he said that he heard a rumour that they were stopping it all together.

12. if your not gonna say summint constructive then keep your trap shut. i'm part of a TA airborne unit hense the username. prick.

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sorry airborne Nads,

He is well off the mark. Ask an SPSI or someone to call Brigade Para Sqn or No1 PTS at Brize and the will give you the TA course dates. BPS can also provide monthly para programmes.

Need the info, not the gossip!

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As per Fooboy, plus if you are an airborne roled unit, you will have a dedicated PJI in support. Get your chain of command to ask him!

15. Blimey. It only seems like five minutes ago that the Skyvan forced the poor old balloon into retirement. Must have been around 1995.

Do you know why it is going out of service ? Hmm, maybe they can bring back the blue cage ! ;-)

Flip