Army Parachuting

hey guys. new here so sorry if this has been posted before. I have heard a rumour that they are stopping all army parachuting as of 2007. Is this true or is is just gonna be the TA. If so, what will happen to the para regt and the like.

They have more or less stopped it know as there are NO aircraft to take people up. I have been told, that civi aircraft have been hired to take people up on military jumps!

The_Duke

LE
Military parachuting is still carrying on, just a shortage of aircraft for basic training courses. 2 TA courses this year instead of the usual 4 or 5.

me n bee said:
They have more or less stopped it know as there are NO aircraft to take people up. I have been told, that civi aircraft have been hired to take people up on military jumps!
That's BS. I jumped last week, 9 Sqn jumped yesterday and there are quite a few sorties on this month. Just because there is less on than normal doesn't mean it isn't happening. The only civvi aircraft that is in service, the Skyvan, goes out of service in a week. This isn't some sort of stop gap service, the Skyvan has been used by the RAF for years and is going to be sorely missed.

airborne_ad said:
hey guys. new here so sorry if this has been posted before. I have heard a rumour that they are stopping all army parachuting as of 2007. Is this true or is is just gonna be the TA. If so, what will happen to the para regt and the like.
By the way, is this some sort of wind up, or are you a very naive army cadet?

The amount of jumps we did in 5 Airborne Brigade compared to 16AA Brigade does show that parachuting has declined considerably. Hey, i'm not complaining! As long as i get my Para pay i couldn't care less TBH. I've had more then my fair share of injuries due to incompetent PJI's who can't control port and starboard exit timing.

greenronnie said:
airborne_ad said:
By the way, is this some sort of wind up, or are you a very naive army cadet?
nope, weekend warrior. we just been getting a lot a news coming down the grapevine that they gonna stop TA jumping so when I asked my TC he said that he heard a rumour that they were stopping it all together.

pronto_minor said:
airborne_ad said:
Guess your user name is a load of boll_ocks then?? :roll:
if your not gonna say summint constructive then keep your trap shut. i'm part of a TA airborne unit hense the username. prick.

The_Duke

LE
Sorry airborne Nads,

He is well off the mark. Ask an SPSI or someone to call Brigade Para Sqn or No1 PTS at Brize and the will give you the TA course dates. BPS can also provide monthly para programmes.

Need the info, not the gossip!

The_Duke

LE
As per Fooboy, plus if you are an airborne roled unit, you will have a dedicated PJI in support. Get your chain of command to ask him!

greenronnie said:
The only civvi aircraft that is in service, the Skyvan, goes out of service in a week. This isn't some sort of stop gap service, the Skyvan has been used by the RAF for years and is going to be sorely missed.
Blimey. It only seems like five minutes ago that the Skyvan forced the poor old balloon into retirement. Must have been around 1995.

Do you know why it is going out of service ? Hmm, maybe they can bring back the blue cage ! ;-)

Flip

Flipper_T_Rox said:
greenronnie said:
The only civvi aircraft that is in service, the Skyvan, goes out of service in a week. This isn't some sort of stop gap service, the Skyvan has been used by the RAF for years and is going to be sorely missed.
Blimey. It only seems like five minutes ago that the Skyvan forced the poor old balloon into retirement. Must have been around 1995.

Do you know why it is going out of service ? Hmm, maybe they can bring back the blue cage ! ;-)

Flip
That very question and subject was raised on a course i attended at PTS this time last year, the answer being that it was of a number of options being/under consideration. A standard response that doesn't really tell you much though!

airborne_ad said:
if your not gonna say summint constructive then keep your trap shut. i'm part of a TA airborne unit hense the username. prick.[/quote]

However it is extremely chopsy to call yourself airborne when you're not.

Ref the original question, I just drove past Everleigh on the way to Netheravon and saw one of those ghost C130s throwing out heavy drops.

think that there is a fair bit of assumption going on here. i am airborne only TA. part of a parachute troop. not gonna mention particular units as i dont think that its relevant and im not sure its the done thing on here. as anyone who is/has been in the TA would know you don't get told jack with regards to anything that happens 5 foot infront of you. anyway thanks to any information that has been provided. i will proceed to the powers that be with questions

greenronnie said:
airborne_ad said:
if your not gonna say summint constructive then keep your trap shut. i'm part of a TA airborne unit hense the username. prick.
.[/quote]

airborne ad... if I offened then I apoligise, it was late and perhaps a touch short on 'web etiquette', however there have been some who come on here here pick themselves an 'airborne' name and then proceed to 'throw grenades over the fence' to see what they can stur up. As already mentioned if you are indeed in an abn unit you can ask your chain of command, air adjt, PJI, etc. If you want something constructive then the PTS acft tasking and training sorties for operational formations are two different things... one is a 'milk run' task while the other is (on the whole) an operational flying skill which C130 pilots need to 'tick the box' on a regular basis.. if not I assume they lose part of their rating, and as I am sure it would affect them in some sort of financial way guess which one is a priority?.
BLX QTO

pronto_minor said:
greenronnie said:
airborne_ad said:
airborne ad... if I offened then I apoligise, it was late and perhaps a touch short on 'web etiquette', however there have been some who come on here here pick themselves an 'airborne' name and then proceed to 'throw grenades over the fence' to see what they can stur up. As already mentioned if you are indeed in an abn unit you can ask your chain of command, air adjt, PJI, etc. If you want something constructive then the PTS acft tasking and training sorties for operational formations are two different things... one is a 'milk run' task while the other is (on the whole) an operational flying skill which C130 pilots need to 'tick the box' on a regular basis.. if not I assume they lose part of their rating, and I am sure it would affect them in some sort of financial way guess which one is a priority?.
BLX QTO[/quote]

thats cool man. i can understand that there are a lot of people who do these things to gain a form of respect. i for one am usually guilty of jumping the gun and making comments. thanks for the info. no hard feelings. :D

Latest Threads